• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Views of Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
It can be interesting at times to take a longer view of Birmingham and these two views do that perfectly. Only trouble is I can't pinpoint where they were taken from. Any ideas ? Viv.

Birmingham 1850

560791fc-7548-a69e.jpg

Birmingham 1860

560791fc-7589-0c6c.jpg

Could the second one be Saltly Viaduct? or Erdington, given the large church building, could be the cathedral.
paul

Saltley Viaduct was for road traffic and the one in the picture has a train on it. I think it is the viaduct to nowhere but if so, although it was built to carry railway...it never had a train on it either. Actually I think I recognise the 'gun barrel proof house' again on the other side of the viaduct. Are they not the same view separated by years.

Hi Viv I hope you don't mind but i enlarged your prints.

Birmingham 1850

560791fc-7548-a69e.jpg

Birmingham 1860

560791fc-7589-0c6c.jpg

regards Stars

Attachments

• 560791fc-7548-a69e.jpg
    560791fc-7548-a69e.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 42
Same view,but with the addition of the viaduct.
Just a hint, if you press control and then the plus key a couple of times you can get it to full screen size, then just press the minus key to go back to normal.

Thanks everyone. My first reaction to the 1850 picture was that the river in the foreground might be the Rea. Or is that just too ridiculous?!! Viv.

Well I think both painting were done from Vauxhall, probably sitting at the top of what would be now Lawley St near Ashted Row. There were so many churches about in those days that weren't obscured by other high buildings that I wouldn't like to try to but a name to them. The other thing is that you must allow for artistic licence.

Phil

Yeah John, and with a wheel mouse you can hold down the Ctrl key and rotate the wheel...does the same thing. I don't think the water is the Rae. If that is the unused viaduct, then the Rae would be running at the base of the pillars. I think this is a more distant view of a recently discussed sketch of an area by Montague street with Curzon St. station at the right but can not be discerned here. Yeah as stated from the Vauxhall area/Lower Dartmouth St. However maybe water is the clue. What was there at that minor elevation that had a pool. There was a lot of countryside around there at that time.

Back