• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Urinal At Junction Ab Row, Prospect Row, Howe Street

tsrplatelayer

Brummie babby
The urinal that was situated at the junction of AB Row, Howe Street, Prospect Row was dismantled and donated to Blists Hill Museum back in 1971. We are lookinf for a photograph of the urinal in situ. Can anyone help out either personally or by reference to an item held in a photo archive.

Thanks

Allan Smith

hello allan i have looked and i dont have one but hopefully one of our other members maybe able to help you especially phil who has a very large collection of old photos...

lyn

Hi Alan

Is this what you are looking for, it's no good asking me where it came from originally because I don't remember all I can't tell you is that I collected it in 2014.

Attachments

• Ashted AB Row & The Ashted Castle .jpg
    Ashted AB Row & The Ashted Castle .jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 59
The Ford Transit as seen in the photo was built from 1965 onwards so we can accurately date this photo to between then and the removal of the urinal in 1971, I would guess the photo was taken closer to the later date.

Simon

yes - probably correct - nearer 71 than 65. I am trying to see if all the parts are present to reassemble it but many of the castings are broken. A pic in the B'ham Post dated 8 Feb 1971 shows volunteers using a sledge hammer on cast iron to dismantle it!! No wonder so many parts are broken, and we have no pics of how the roof goes together or the intenal structure - we dont have any of the porcelain.

I seem to remember a smaller one close to there against a high blue brick wall some where around Lord St/Rupert Street area many years ago, I bet that's gone too ! Eric

Back