• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Uplands Cemetery Smethwick

alphacentaurus

I am trying to find and get photos of the headstones and graves of two relatives buried at the above. They are James Henry Allport died 19.02.1947 and Amy Allport (nee Crow) died 12.05.1968. The are buried in separate plots in the same cemetery. Is anyone able to help me?
Many thanks.

Hi alphacentaurus,

I have been in contact with Uplands Cemetery, and they have kindly given me the Plot and number of the grave/s. If I can I will try and get to the cemetery on Friday afternoon or at the week-end, and try and get hold of a map of the cemetery showing the exact location/s. If you can get there yourself I am happy to pass on this information to you, otherwise I try to get pics for you. Is that OK? cheers,
cresser.

Hi alphacentaurus,

I have been in contact with Uplands Cemetery, and they have kindly given me the Plot and number of the grave/s. If I can I will try and get to the cemetery on Friday afternoon or at the week-end, and try and get hold of a map of the cemetery showing the exact location/s. If you can get there yourself I am happy to pass on this information to you, otherwise I try to get pics for you. Is that OK? cheers,
cresser.
Hi Cresser,
Thanks a million. I haqd given up getting a reply!!
I am unable to get there myself as I have moved. It would be great if you could get the pictures.
I like your dogs.
Many thanks.

I was looking for a plot (I had the number) and couldn't find it but the staff at the office in the new part kindly got the maps out and showed us, then we followed him over there as he was going that way. He worked out which one it was from numbered graves nearby, as there was no gravestone.
I hope you have the same success!
rosie.

Hi alphacentaurus,
As I finish work at 11am tomorrow, I may be able to get there after I have had the pleasure of Sainsbury`s!!!. The two dogs are I`m afraid, no longer with us and very much missed they are. Rosie, I had help from staff at Thimblemill Cemetery which is over the road, and he has been very helpful as well, so hopefully I will be able to get the images I`m after.
Cheers all, cresser.

I was looking for a plot (I had the number) and couldn't find it but the staff at the office in the new part kindly got the maps out and showed us, then we followed him over there as he was going that way. He worked out which one it was from numbered graves nearby, as there was no gravestone.
I hope you have the same success!
rosie.
Hi Rosie, I have been over to Thimblemill Cemetery today and I agree with you entirely, the staff there were brilliant, he got me to follow him in my car, he went ahead in his `golf buggy`, and took me directly to the grave I wanted. He then even cleared the fallen leaves away so I could take pictures and see the engraving. Fabulous service. cresser.

I'm so glad you were able to go and find the grave. I bet it was soggy underfoot though!
I agree, fabulous service!
rosie.

Hi alphacentaurus,
I have managed to get a couple of pictures for you. I find it easier to email them directly, if you want this please let me know, cresser.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help. Yes could you email me the pictures. I am not sure if I need to send you a private message about this, or even if I can on this site. If you need my email address I am not sure how to send you this.
Judith

Click on the name "cresser" on the avatar in the last post from Cresser. Then click on "start a conversation" - this is a private message. Then you can send the email address confidentially.

Click on the name "cresser" on the avatar in the last post from Cresser. Then click on "start a conversation" - this is a private message. Then you can send the email address confidentially.
Hi Janice,
Thanks for helping out there, appreciated. cresser.

You need either a map of the cemetery to find the section where the grave is. Any gravestones should have a number on the back so you can check these - important if your grave has no stone - and count plots. Or you can ask at the cemetery office - I don't know this cemetery but last time I went hunting the office of the cemetery where I was gave me a map and marked the section with a cross for me.

Not sure of this is helpful or not

Last edited:
If you are going I would guess it is section 25 but I am not sure about the "c" unless it means cremation. The number will be the plot. Either use the links from the post above or contact the cemetery office to ask what it means. I don't think there is an office at Uplands so check first.

Hello Janice, in the case of my gt grandparents the C meant row C, i.e. third row back. They are in section 10.
The office is at the new cemetery on the other side of the road, just inside the entrance.
rosie,

If you are going I would guess it is section 25 but I am not sure about the "c" unless it means cremation. The number will be the plot. Either use the links from the post above or contact the cemetery office to ask what it means. I don't think there is an office at Uplands so check first.
Thank you for your help.

Hello Janice, in the case of my gt grandparents the C meant row C, i.e. third row back. They are in section 10.
The office is at the new cemetery on the other side of the road, just inside the entrance.
rosie,
Thank you for your help. I will take a walk and see what I can find out soon

Back