• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown Servicewoman

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could anyone give me an opinion, please, on the uniform and insignia of this unknown, fag-smoking, Brummie servicewoman photographed in a backyard in 1918 or 1919?

Thanks.

Chris

Strange, the image has come up smaller than it was when I previewed it. So here's a close up of uniform etc.

Chris

The badge is the Womens Auxillary Army Corp which became the ATS and with a better uniform!. Len.

Thanks, everyone. I'm now wondering what the significance of the chevrons might have been...

(This came from a collection of negatives left by my father who was a Brummie Cameron Highlander. We'll never know who this lady was but I'm pretty certain it was a Brum picture. A number of the others were taken at a barracks in Edinburgh in 1919, some of excellent quality and showing various of his mates, often with girls, celebrating their survival. Fascinating stuff but not really relevant to this Birmingham forum).

Chris

The chevrons were given for overseas service with the British Forces. Red for 1914, and Blue for subsequent years. She has three chevrons thus she served overseas from 1916 -1918.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Quite a veteran, obviously. WISH I knew who she was!

Chris

Here are a few more handsome, uniformed young ladies to admire.

These are probably lassies, photographed in Edinburgh in 1919. To maintain a tenuous link to Birmingham history, my Brummie father is pictured between two of them.

(Technical detail - note the bike lamps).

Chris

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the girl's looks. Quite a beauty I thought, makes today's skin and bone models and 'celebs' look pretty pathetic. E.

Thanks, Len.

Sorry, but for those who appreciate such things....

(I wonder what life had in store for them all. None of them became my mum).

Chris

Good looking young Ladies Chris, i do not see a lot of face powder or lipstick just nice clean faces. Len.

Back