• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unity Club

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Me a Templer went to the Unity club today to see Prof. What a fantastic job he has done on that club. Just waiting for Bri to put the photos on.
The Unity would make a great Christmas get together for forum members:)

Last edited:
Frothy,is that the one in Gough St.?.If so it's the club where they hold meetings for the Birmingham wartime evacuees.I went there to take them a copy of my evacuation papers,no one else had any,I had mine because I didn't go.
Oh,as an aside Gough St. is the steepest hill in Birmingham.

Frothy,is that the one in Gough St.?.If so it's the club where they hold meetings for the Birmingham wartime evacuees.I went there to take them a copy of my evacuation papers,no one else had any,I had mine because I didn't go.
Oh,as an aside Gough St. is the steepest hill in Birmingham.

No Ray. This one is in New summer road off Summer lane.

thanks bri..well what a transformation...i wish prof and marie all the very best in their new venture...froth its new summer st not road...the oringinal unity was on the corner of new summer st and summer lane so it didnt move very far..:)

wonderful topsy...the first pic is new to me..date wise maybe the 40s and for all we know maybe one of our members could identify the children on the corner ...the second pic i posted a few years back and it was the subject of debate as to exactly was going on...we decided it had to be a funeral prossession but the caption on your photo confirms it as a works drawn funeral..thanks topsy later on i will post these on the summer lane thread...

lyn x

looks to me to be 3 west indian men walking beside the coffin carraige, would be very unusual for the thirties.

Perhaps they were pallbearer supplied by the funeral director, I think certain South American races always have black pallbearers even today. Perhaps the deceased was of South American origin.

Perhaps they were pallbearer supplied by the funeral director, I think certain South American races always have black pallbearers even today. Perhaps the deceased was of South American origin.

i agree phil...maybe a tad unusual but certainly not impossible..

Back