• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unions and shop stewards

B

brummieinlondon

I'm doing a bit of research into Brummie life in the 40s and 50s, and I'd be really interested to hear anyone's memories of workplace politics and union activity in those days.

My grandad worked in a factory, I don't know which one unfortunately, but I know he was a passionate union man and was a shop steward.

I recall my grandma explaining to me about some complicated hierachy in the factory where the colour of your overall or jacket was really important. It's such a hazy memory, but I seem to remember that a brown one was higher status than a blue one or something.. might have been the other way round. I know she was slightly miffed that my grandad wouldn't wear the posher colour that he was entitled to, because he didn't want to set himself apart from his colleagues!

As I say, any memories you have I'd love to hear.

Thanks

I worked in engineering factories from leaving school 1943 to 1990, in the Govt owned Post Office factory i was issued with a blue boiler suit there were also brown cowgowns depending on the job you worked at, after leaving there in later years i bought my own and made a personal choice, joining Lucas Aerospace the AEU Union got an agreement for a free overall issue dark blue boiler suits,brown cowgowns etc, inspectors white cowgowns, later Lucas gave toolroom workers light blue boiler suits, seperate jacket & trousers i had a choice, shop stewards wore their usual protective clothing with your Shop Steward badge pinned on, the Union Convenor ( Elected Head Steward) wore the clothes he came to work in on Union business with the Boss men, so you could not pick out a Shop Steward by his overall type or coulor, hope this helps. Len.

thanks lencops, that's really helpful. what's a cowgown?

were most factories unionised in brum? and what would a shop steward's responsibilities be?

(sorry for my ignorance on these things!)

A cow gown was a protective like coat,brown in colour,with buttons on the front worn to protect your own clothes and changed weekly The materail was hard wearing and you would change it once a week.My own interpretation of a shop steward ,elected by fellow workers was to resolve disputes by representing his elected "brothers" when they had a dissagrement.If you ever get the chance of a humourous take on a shop steward watch the 60,s Peter Sellers film ,I,m alright Jack.From my own experience i viewed to many people if they had a problem would go to the shop steward first this is out of proceedure as if you had a grievance you contacted your chargehand or foreman first NB This could be a lengthy discussion so hope this helps.

I worked in a Drawing Office and had a spell as a Union Rep (didn't call them Shop Stewards in offices) and remember arguing with a smooth character from the Engineering Employers Federation. As I moved upwards to become a manager, and sat on the other side of the table, I remember a particularly obnoxious Shop Steward putting his hands on the bonnet of my car to stop me driving through the factory gate. I slowly pushed him backwards with the car and he crossed the picket line. Would probably make the front page of the Mail these days.
icon6.gif

oidMohawk, The Shop Steward was wrong to put his hands on your car, and you were wrong in pushing the Shop Steward with your car because he could have been injured, unfortunately both sides in a dispute lose their cool. Len.

Lencops, In my earlier post I mentioned that I been a Union Rep and later also on the management side, and it was no fun either way. I was only creeping the car, after sitting there for 5 minutes watching his mates trying to move him. By the way, I used to work at a firm in Witton which made the steel toe caps for safety shoes.
oldmohawk

oldMohawk, There is always one Steward who does not understand that he or she should explain about the dispute to all drivers or pedestrians who approach the picket and ask them not to cross it, to ask a company Boss not to is stupid, Joe Lucas provided prescription safety specs, all weather clothing, safety footware, workware and washing of it and lots of other benefits and all free, this family firm is greatly missed. Len.

I think a lot of peoples idea of a union rep or shop steward is coloured what they have seen in the media during the 1960s when Red Robbo and his
mates seem to be running British Leyland, they did run it, in to the ground!!! I joined the UPW in 1955 and and after all these years and three
changes of name am still a member, in the retired section. Many folk are
still anti union and yet there is we have got half of the benefits we enjoy
in the workplace without them

Back