• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union Workhouse Warwick

good luck in searching david, if i find any decent sites ill let you know of them, mind ive just clicked onto that link of wendys, that could be a good one.

thanks wendy !

Afternoon Wendy, I used to be a member but didn't think the info they published was that great so stopped my membership. Maybe I should re-join as I know they published something I had submitted.

David ive just emailed the chairman asking them if they hold documentation relating to this specific workhouse. admissions, medical stuff, anything in general.

I'd love to buy a book but so far cant find one relating to this wh.

If i get a reply which im hoping i do, and they do have loads of information about the workhouse ill let you know as they may be worth contacting for you to find out your details too.

Thanks

Aston :)

Ive a question if anyone could help me out please.....

When someone was in the workhouse did inmates paupers get the chance to venture outside the perimeters or were they kind of imprisoned there and were never allowed back out into the public?

Basically ive just found out that that my Gt x 3 grandmother was found drowned in the warwick and knapton canal in 1914 ( i already knew that 4 yrs previously, her husband died (taken his own life according to the death certificate) also in the warwick & knapton canal in leamington) im finding this extremely strange as she was in the workhouse from 1891 - 1911 census's and in the meantime her husband had been living with another woman and fathered 3 more children with that lady.

I think im going to order a copy of the inquest does anyone know what kind of details these documents contain, is is short and sweet not worth paying the sum for or does it go into details.

Im wondering if she escaped from the workhouse & for some strange reason was still in love with her husband after 20 years even though hed taken up with someone else on the outside.

this has got me so intrigued it really wasnt what i was expecting to see her on her death certificate i thought she would of just died in the workhouse.

Any suggestions theories greatly received

:D

Hi Aston, I've already posted some time ago on another thread that I went to Warwick Records Office and saw the original inquest documents for my GG Grandmother's death. She was found drowned in Priory Pools Warwick in Feb 1864. These documents included the "Inquisition", the Winess Statements and the Expenses! All originals.
It seems you're in Yorkshire so a long way to come on just a hope. I found the people at Warwick very helpful. Maybe if you phone them and give the date of the death they could advise. If you like I'm happy to go along once you've established if they have them (they told me that depending on the year they often only have a few) and I can photo them for you.

make that north yorks yes ive only been to birmingham once in the last 7 years :)

Thanks very much for your kind offer David but I still have to contact the register office regarding minutes for the workhouse that im after, so i'll make both requests at the same time and see what they can come up with for me.

I just dont know how from drowning they can tell if someone took their own lifes or not (in gf case it states he did) whereas gm case they just write drowned im hoping theres some interesting news in the inquest notes

thanks very much !

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-b...wickshire+england&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&cp=11

can i be really cheeky and ask any of you if you can view the image from the above link, basically ive found her name in the criminals register (she was in the workhouse in 1881 census) and im just wondering if this is my lady. I only have the £80 odd pound membership and if wont let me view, if anyone has gold membership to ancestory or whatever it is (ooh you must be rich :d lol ) could you tell me if this gives any information that would be of use please.

Kind thanks

Aston

(its the 2 Aug 1879 trial mary ann blackwell warwickshire ) about 3rd of 4th one down)

coming back on heres just reminded me, ive never heard back from the chairman so sorry i havent been able to update you with anymore info David.

ties you in knots does this fh :)

It reads,
Mary Ann Blackwell...Throwing into a river with intent to drown.............nine months.

Colin

to be honest D ive completely lost track of who ive emailed lol. ive been in touch with warwick records office before and yes brilliant service off them.

Colin B thank you so much for that. wow it raises only more questions for me,
she gets prison for trying to commit suicide in 1879 whilst shes got my gt gm as a 7 mth old baby depending on her back home, she eventually did die the way she wished then as on her death cert in 1914 it says drown in canal warwick, what a sad sad life she must of had. :-(

Thanks chaps !

hi all,
right......... well ive progressed with the mary ann blackwell searching, i say me, my cousin has actually and shared the info..... we have copies of the death inquests, very interesting read, but basically mary ann blackwell was obviously allowed to leave the workhouse on a daily basis, she drowned herself in 1914 to think that in 1879 she had tried it and was imprisoned for it, then 35 yrs later she finally did it again.

Does anyone know where the inmates of warwick union workhouse would of been buried? i know its more than likely an unmarked grave but did the workhouse have its own separate cemetery away from local churches?

Oh and without sounding to thick :D when would you say the Jubilee year was? in the witness statement for her husbands death she said "she had been in the workhouse since the Jubilee year" 1881-1891 shes listed as in w/h, im only 36 i dont know that Q Victorias reign and jubilee celebrations hee hee

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated .........

Thanks

Aston :)

Back