• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Turkish Bath in Handsworth

Maria Magenta

master brummie
In the early 1980s I went with a friend to the Turkish Baths in Handsworth. What an experience!

As remember, you went down a flight of steps, and there was an iron gate into that part of the building. The baths were old-fashioned, and rather like a film set. At the end, you lay on a marble slab to be massaged and hosed down by a middle-aged lady, then you went into a curtained cubicle and were brought cups of tea in thick white china cups. It cost about £2.00.

Sadly, most if not all of the Turkish Baths have been closed or turned into health clubs.

I think it must have been. Nice to see some more of the interior.

It would definitely have been Grove Lane, I used to work with someone who went to the Turkish Bath there in the 80's. I went to the swimming bath once with a schoolfriend.

The building was demolished - maybe 15 - 20 years ago ? - shame really as it was a lovely old building but it may have been in need of renovation which the council were not willing to fund. There is a characterless Leisure Centre there now if I recall correctly?

I live in London now and we have a great 1930's Turkish Baths in Ironmonger Row near the City (which is being refurbished at the moment)

The building has not been demolished, it has been turned into flats or something. but it is most definitely still there. Perhaps you are thinking of another baths??

Shortie

I also went to the Turkish Baths in Erdington, which was a lot more modern and didn't have the same character. But it had an Aerotone Bath, which was a sort of large cylindrical tin bath in which the water bubbled. A kind of jacuzzi, in fact. I regret not using it!

I later found that these were quite common in Victorian baths.

The building has been demolished, with the exception of the facade that was retained. I learned to swim there during the 60s and remember eating wagon wheels in the cafe after saturday morning sessions.

The building has not been demolished, it has been turned into flats or something. but it is most definitely still there. Perhaps you are thinking of another baths??

Shortie

No, I was thinking of Grove Lane Baths but maybe the newer Leisure Centre is half way down the road now I think about it - sorry!
Anyway, glad to hear they have kept part of the old building at least.

That's why I thought it was still there. My mother in law lives in Handsworth Wood and sometimes we pass by the old baths when taking her out. I believe they were designed by architect John L Osborne - I used to work as receptionist for his son in the mid 1960's.

Shortie

My parents live in Handsworth Wood so I will have to go and have a look at the Baths when I am next in Birmingham.

Back