• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Traffic Wardens

milomilo

Brummie babby
Going back a bit, early 1980s but was anyone here part of that motley crew, probably shouldn't admit to this but I was a 'Yellow Peril' a very nice one actually !

Not me, but I thought the 'Yellow Perils' were ok; most of them just took a common sense approach to managing the traffic, and if you were open and honest with them, they were often quite helpful. Nothing like the money grabbing morons that they employ today, who just wiz around slapping tickets on anything they can for an easy life.

I cannot remember when it was, probably late sixties, early seventies, I drove my wife and two young daughters to Birmingham from Leicester. It was in the days when it was fashionable to have a sticker of the place where you lived on the rear of your car. We had a Leicester sticker. At that time, in Leicester we did not have meters, although I was used to them, because I was driving all over the country.

We parked in Snow Hill, paid for two hours, and came back around three hours later, meter was on either yellow or red. The traffic warden was standing by our car, and as we approached it I told my wife, we are going to get a fine for being over the time limit.

The traffic warden was waiting for us, and said that he had not given us a ticket as we were visitors to Birmingham (He had noticed the sticker). I tried to look all innocent, and said that we were not used to meters, "We do not have them in Leicester". The warden then proceeded to give me a long talk, and demonstration, of how a meter worked!

Lovely man (Was it you milomilo?). Never booked me, but all the way back to Leicester, even our two daughters were in fits of laughter.

Eddie

Hello Eddie, to early for me but that was how we were told to behave, help the public not just hand out tickets just a shame the pay was so low.

We had a sexy traffic warden called Margaret. Was that you? I saw some in France they wear a uniform with a huge maroon and blue badge and they stick one of these badges on your windscreen as big as a breakfast plate. The young maroon and blue peril looked terrified as he thought it was our car. It is the same symbol as their no parking signs. I wondered what the signs were on private garages. Maybe they are just no parking wardens.

My wife would be surprised if I were called Margaret and very surprised at me being described as sexy ( Keith is my name )

Back