• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tracing relatives of William & Bella Shallcross

P

Pollie3

I am tracing relatives of William Thomas Shallcross and his wife Bella.
I have some information on William but nothing on Bella. I would settle for anything at this point in time. I have been on a search for relatives for about 25 years with not much luck. :(

Hello: I checked the database for British Home Children who came over to Canada and there was one name. Elizabeth Shallcross who arrived in 1888 at 11 years of age. She arrived in Knowlton, Quebec with Mrs. Brit's party from London. 100,000 children from the U.K. came over to Canada.

I also found the following information on the British Home Children website through Rootsweb mailing list which I belong to. There is also a Henrietta Shallcross who was born in 1840 and came over to Canada on the SSArran at 16 years of age arriving in 1856. She was born in Ireland.

If you think any of this information will be helpful to your research please let me know and I will send you the direct link and check further on the database.
Good luck
Isobel Burlton-Wells

www.collectionscanada.ca

https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...canada.ca/archivianet/02011003_e.html&r=0&f=S
Home Children

Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=SHALLCROSS.SUR. : " References: 1 - 1 of 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surname Given name Age Sex Ship Year of arrival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 SHALLCROSS Elizabeth 11 F SS Nestorian 1888

Hi Isobel,
Thank you for your help. I think I need to be a little more specific.
My great Uncle William Thomas Shallcross was born in September of 1891.
His fathers name was Thomas Shallcross born in 1862. Died May 17, 1935.

My great uncle William married a lady that he called Bella...not sure if that was her really name. They lived in Birmingham and I believe he died in the early 60's. Have not been able to confirm this.

They had 2 daughters, Florence & Sylvia. Sylvia got married in either 1957 or 59 and had her wedding portraits done at Lacey's studios.

The are the only dates I have for these relatives.

My great uncle William had a sister by the name of Rose Annie Shallcross. (My grandmother) She was born Oct 26, 1888. However, I am not sure if they had the same mother. On my grandmother birth certificate, her mothers maiden name is listed as Elizabeth Jane Green.

I am not able to find much out about my great uncle or my grandmother, or even my mother for that matter. My mother was born Feb 13 1914 in the county of kent sb district of Elham.

If you can help me with anything that I have given you that would be most appreciated.

Hello:
Wish I could help you more but I do not think I will be able to help you any further. There are 62 Shallcross surnames on www.ellisisland.org. This is the immigration centre at New York.
I know when I first started researching I wrote to every Burlton who lived in Birmingham and who was listed in the telephone directory. My father's surname was Burlton and this was a very uncommon name. I have come to find out that every Burlton in the world is related in some way. I did find a first cousin using this method. I still have many relatives that I cannot find.
Cheers
Isobl

Thank you for your help. My great uncle and Aunt both died in Birmingham. They did not immigrate to the United States. I should have mentioned that earlier. Sorry for any inconvenience. I really do appreciate all your help.

:D The Electral Roll only came up with these two in Birmingham, hope it is of helps. I used this method to find my family and wrote to the three families that came up and all three were related to my Grandmother.

Address
Claire Shallcross
7 Raddlebarn Road
Birmingham
Worcestershire
B29 6HJ

Address
Janet E Shallcross
23 Maryland Drive
Birmingham
Worcestershire
B31 2AS

Chris :)

Thank you so much for this information. I will contact both of them.

Back