• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tower Cycles, Gravelly Lane, Erdington

Kevkonk

master brummie
I drove past Tower Carpets on Gravelly Lane today, and noticed they are waiting for a new sign, they took the old one down last week l understand. Probably will be replaced very soon, but the old Tower Cycles sign is riding high again…

I remember Tower Cycles quite well when it operated from the shop on the corner. It was a proper traditional bike shop with hundreds of tyres hanging up in the ceiling. There was a really lovey and helpful lady worked there, Mrs Richards I recall. I think she knew everything anyone needed to know about bikes and could always dig out a spare part for you.

She had a son called Alan who I recall held some kind of world record for speed on a bike? I also think he may have built custom bike frames and stuff like that.

He turned the corner shop into an antique shop, selling a lot of French stuff in later years, he may have spent time in France I believe.

thanks for the video kev...as mort said the cycle shop used to be on the corner which is now an antiques shop and has a tower like structure so i wonder is this is where they got the name from?

lyn

Last edited:
Back