• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

toll house at smethwick

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..i picked this postard up at the gift shop at fradley junction on sunday...sorry if its been posted before but i thought it may be of interest....

inland toll house smethwick..circa 1940

lyn...

What happened to that image, I wonder
The toll house was placed at the top of the three locks on the old main line with a path down to the New Main Line and the Gauging building.

hi all..i picked this postard up at the gift shop at fradley junction on sunday...sorry if its been posted before but i thought it may be of interest....

inland toll house smethwick..circa 1940

lyn...
the image was lost when the forum was hacked in 2011..sorry i dont have it now

lyn

Well, that answers how they got ontp the islands! The original one at the site of the later replica was quadrilateral, though.

the chimney is a mystery to me....what building is it attached to ? as it is showing in both photos..both buildings look the same to me except the roof is different and the porch has been removed..

lyn

Last edited:
the chimney is a mystery to me....what building is it attached to ? as it is showing in both photos..both buildings look the same to me except the roof is different and the porch has been removed..

lyn
The one on the toll house? There would have been a fireplace in there for warmth (and possibly cooking or warming food). The wall furrthest from the door seems an obvious place for it.

yes thats what i thought lloyd...think i have miss understood a little as i the way i read the posts i thought that the photo on post 8 was another toll house built in 1974 but then i thought they must be the same building as the chimney is showing on both photos :rolleyes:

lyn

yes thats what i thought lloyd...think i have miss understood a little as i the way i read the posts i thought that the photo on post 8 was another toll house built in 1974 but then i thought they must be the same building as the chimney is showing on both photos :rolleyes:

lyn
I think it was the pattern of tollhouse used for the modern (vandalised) one.

The replica toll house at the top of Smethwick Locks was constructed as a memorial to the island toll houses along the New Main Line, by British Waterways, and there were those in the Birmingham Canal Navigations Society who were keen that it was done. Sadly there are troglodytes in our world who care nothing about heritage or any representation of it and choose to vandalise structures and cover them with their tribal inscriptions.

These excavations refer to Engine House foundations that were examined. The main engine is now in the museum at Millenium Point and can be seen there.

Back