• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Time Works Factory, Barr Street., Hockley. I took this photo in their yard. Does anyone know what this little building would have been used for please

In 1974 Barr Street 214-224 Time Works, AT Cannon (silversmiths) Ltd.

Time Works in existence from at least 1874.

It is an old post but I believe this was built for my great great gradfather. He developed machine built mass produced watches. Earhardt was out then family surname.

Welcome to the Forum, Leshere. And thanks for your interesting contribution.

(Possibly a typo with the family name? Ehrhardt?).

Chris

I started the original thread because I am researching Barr Street. I would love to learn more about your family connections to this building.

Hi,

I am lecturer trying to find more information about William Ehrhardt and his endeavour to setup the American and Swiss style manufactuering of watches in Birmingham. I have contacted the Wolfson archives, but there is no recorded information that they have archived there. If anyone can signpost me to anything, or who to contact that would be great

Thank you

Hi,

I am lecturer trying to find more information about William Ehrhardt and his endeavour to setup the American and Swiss style manufactuering of watches in Birmingham. I have contacted the Wolfson archives, but there is no recorded information that they have archived there. If anyone can signpost me to anything, or who to contact that would be great

Thank you
This may help a little

Hi,

Thank you
Hi Oliver,
There's a horology degree at Birmingham School of Jewellery. Do you have any contacts there?

Rebecca Struthers is a watchmaker, she has a PhD in the history of watchmaking. https://www.strutherswatchmakers.co.uk/about/meet-the-team/rebecca-struthers

British Newspaper Archive has an obituary for William Ehrhardt.

There is a photograph of a silver pocket watch
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/vintage-pocket-watches-wruw-feb-2021.5276822/page-3#post-52993247

British Horological Journal has nothing.
But I think they were all pocket watches wound with a key, so unfashionable? (Later production included keyless)

There's a thread on https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/search/26581/?q=Ehrhardt&o=relevance

Derek

Last edited:
Hi Oliver,
There's a horology degree at Birmingham School of Jewellery. Do you have any contacts there?

Rebecca Struthers is a watchmaker, she has a PhD in the history of watchmaking. https://www.strutherswatchmakers.co.uk/about/meet-the-team/rebecca-struthers

British Newspaper Archive has an obituary for William Ehrhardt.

There is a photograph of a silver pocket watch
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/vintage-pocket-watches-wruw-feb-2021.5276822/page-3#post-52993247

British Horological Journal has nothing.
But I think they were all pocket watches wound with a key, so unfashionable? (Later production included keyless)

There's a thread on https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/search/26581/?q=Ehrhardt&o=relevance

Derek
Thanks for this Derek,

I am a new lecturer in Horology at the school of Jewellery. Honestly, I only came across Time Works [and went to visit the site] last year when doing some research and reading of Alun C. Davies book on The Rise and Decline of English Watchmaking [excellent book], and I want to dig deeper. From memory, it was the third site of manufacture others being on Great Hampton street and Paradise street [don't think this street exists anymore. I haven't verified on old maps but assume it could be around central Birmingham where everything is called 'paradise']

There is a story to tell about how British watchmaking failed to industrialise compared to other industries. Especially when Britain was the first nation to industrialise and adopt new methods and techniques in other industries.

i was down there today and managed to walk around the cobbled yard at the back...the old buildings on post 1 are still there also took photos the buildings on the left and right of the yard...bit late now and i have the grandson staying tonight but i will sort out the best photos and post them on here sometime tomorrow

lyn

Thanks for this Derek,

I am a new lecturer in Horology at the school of Jewellery. Honestly, I only came across Time Works [and went to visit the site] last year when doing some research and reading of Alun C. Davies book on The Rise and Decline of English Watchmaking [excellent book], and I want to dig deeper. From memory, it was the third site of manufacture others being on Great Hampton street and Paradise street [don't think this street exists anymore. I haven't verified on old maps but assume it could be around central Birmingham where everything is called 'paradise']

There is a story to tell about how British watchmaking failed to industrialise compared to other industries. Especially when Britain was the first nation to industrialise and adopt new methods and techniques in other industries.
TT
Thanks for this Derek,

That’s good news Olivier, congratulations on your appointment. You are in the right place to discover the history of Birmingham watchmaking. A thought - the Birmingham and Midland Institute In Margaret Street has a library of older material and might be worth investigating,

There may be some patents taken out by this company or watchmaker?

I’m away from my computer today, but I think a short Paradise Street still exists, by the Town Hall.

I wasn’t aware of Alun Davies’ book, so thanks for the reference, I enjoy mechanical watches as an enthusiast.

Best of luck in your endeavour and do post if you make discoveries. Birmingham museums have a collection, but I fear they are in store at present?

Derek

2 more..this is the little building that shows in post 1 with another building to the left of it...noticed yesterday that the litte building had been turned into a cafe at some point but not sure it is open now

lyn

thumbnail (12).jpgthumbnail (11).jpg

It is an old post but I believe this was built for my great great gradfather. He developed machine built mass produced watches. Earhardt was out then family surname.
Hi I've been researching a watch my dad gave my sister, 9ct gold hunter dated 1922 Birmingham assay. Not sure if by ur Great great grandfather or just your great grandfather as his 2 sons took over didn't they their names were William and Gustav .

Hi I've been researching a watch my dad gave my sister, 9ct gold hunter dated 1922 Birmingham assay. Not sure if by ur Great great grandfather or just your great grandfather as his 2 sons took over didn't they their names were William and Gustav .
Welcome to the Forum Raine69, a great place, enjoy! Thank you for your posting.

I have a watch that belonged to my great grandfather. The assay mark is a "q" (1890?). The watch is in Stirling Silver with a 9 carat gold chain. Other hallmarks are the anchor for Birmingham and W E for William Ehrhardt.

Pocket Watch.jpg

Watch Hallmarks.jpg

Back