• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

Welcome Penny. Glad the photos bring back memories for you. They certainly are a good set of photos.

There were two threads about the school so I’ve now merged them together. Penny, you might be interested in earlier posts on the thread if you haven’t already seen them.

Viv.

Hello, came across this site by accident and I was at the school same time as you I think ? - I am Mark Skinner, used to live on Bell Lane Next to Maxine Payne and 2 doors from Sharps the shop opposite the Bell Pub, been racking my brains for girls called Jane, remember Rooker and Wilson?
do you remember steph child? my mom and yours were good friends. I remember your brother who passed on his stagg night

I went to Tile Cross school1950s.I do have photo of school football team 1960 finalists with Mr Atkins,unsure how to submit ,will post later.New member and learning!

Hello All, I attended the school from 1953 until 1960. After leaving I attended Byng Kenrick Girls', off Leycroft Avenue. My maiden name was Swingle. I had a really happy time at the school. I remember the lovely Mr. Penny and Mrs Walker and Mr. Dunkley rings a bell. I remember Mr.Penny walking around the hall whilst we were singing, he stopped in front of me and listened to me sing. He then called me 'a growler' this meant no singing practices for me and the rest of the elite group of growlers. If I remember we did maths. I did however get to play a triangle when we played 'Dambusters'. Oh happy days. Sad to hear the school has been demolished though.

Hi, I didn't go to school round here but I knew Derek Shelley many years ago. I didn't know he was no longer with us. When did he pass away?
Hi, I went to Tile Cross school from 1954/1960 and have many happy memories. The photos were lovely to see and the little grass island in the playground I think we had our Maypole on that. I was so happy to see Mr Atkins in the photo and I had the pleasure of meeting him again about 25/30 years ago so was able to tell him what a wonderful teacher he’d been. It was a special meeting

Hello All, I attended the school from 1953 until 1960. After leaving I attended Byng Kenrick Girls', off Leycroft Avenue. My maiden name was Swingle. I had a really happy time at the school. I remember the lovely Mr. Penny and Mrs Walker and Mr. Dunkley rings a bell. I remember Mr.Penny walking around the hall whilst we were singing, he stopped in front of me and listened to me sing. He then called me 'a growler' this meant no singing practices for me and the rest of the elite group of growlers. If I remember we did maths. I did however get to play a triangle when we played 'Dambusters'. Oh happy days. Sad to hear the school has been demolished though.

Last edited:
Hello Susan, I am a lot older than you. I left Shirestone in 1958 for Central Grammar School. I was also singled out by Mr Penny as a growler! I loved Miss Pullen and was quite upset when she married. I think Mr Dunkley was also quite sweet on her. I lived at 24 Leycroft Avenue,which was an end bungalow(third one up) so you would have passed by many times. In this Forum I spoke with an old flame,Barbara Tidball. We sat next to one another in our last year at Shirestone. Our main teacher was...Mrs Walker who had arranged the class,Girl next to Boy. I can remember we used to sing "The day thou gavest Lord is ending" each evening before we left for the day. I never got to play a triangle like you. Lots of love. Colin Stark

Hi..I went to Shirestone from when it first opened until 1958 when I went to CGS. I remember a Mr Dunkerley( not sure of spelling) and Mr Jones who ran the football team. I played in the team.alongside Phil Summerhill who went on to play for the Blues. Mrs Walker,s maiden name wss Miss Pullen. I don,t remember the others. I can remember sitting in our class next to a girl Barbara Tidball,that after 60 odd years?....

Hello Susan, I am a lot older than you. I left Shirestone in 1958 for Central Grammar School. I was also singled out by Mr Penny as a growler! I loved Miss Pullen and was quite upset when she married. I think Mr Dunkley was also quite sweet on her. I lived at 24 Leycroft Avenue,which was an end bungalow(third one up) so you would have passed by many times. In this Forum I spoke with an old flame,Barbara Tidball. We sat next to one another in our last year at Shirestone. Our main teacher was...Mrs Walker who had arranged the class,Girl next to Boy. I can remember we used to sing "The day thou gavest Lord is ending" each evening before we left for the day. I never got to play a triangle like you. Lots of love. Colin Stark
I was also in Miss Pullens class the same class as Barbara..Everyone in our class passed first part of eleven plus and just a few of us did’nt manage the second part .There was three of us that went on to Lea Village. I first went into Mr Siviters class,then Mr.Jones ,which was in the annex at St.Peters Church, he would use his pump on the lads backsides,Mrs.Czuni was another teacher.Photo in the playground,not sure what year.B4CF88DA-ED0A-4390-83AE-E8092402C4BD.jpeg

Love to know who Villager is! Iused to go to St Peters Church every Saturday morning for the matinee. Sometimes we would play in the local sand pit nearby. I can't remember what is was called.

Love to know who Villager is! Iused to go to St Peters Church every Saturday morning for the matinee. Sometimes we would play in the local sand pit nearby. I can't remember what is was cal
I was also in Miss Pullens class the same class as Barbara..Everyone in our class passed first part of eleven plus and just a few of us did’nt manage the second part .There was three of us that went on to Lea Village. I first went into Mr Siviters class,then Mr.Jones ,which was in the annex at St.Peters Church, he would use his pump on the lads backsides,Mrs.Czuni was another teacher.Photo in the playground,not sure what year.View attachment 168541

I was also in Miss Pullens class the same class as Barbara..Everyone in our class passed first part of eleven plus and just a few of us did’nt manage the second part .There was three of us that went on to Lea Village. I first went into Mr Siviters class,then Mr.Jones ,which was in the annex at St.Peters Church, he would use his pump on the lads backsides,Mrs.Czuni was another teacher.Photo in the playground,not sure what year.View attachment 168541

Last edited:

people on the photo,Joan Bithell,Vivienne McHale. Jacqueline Smith.Diane Hill (me) Linda Little, Freda Young & Margaret Avery. I can recall quite a few names in our class. Trying to put a face to your name Colin,did you have really dark hair? .

do you remember steph child? my mom and yours were good friends. I remember your brother who passed on his stagg night
Hello! I am really, really sorry for this late reply over a year ago!, my memory is awful but my mother was German and I recall the name Child for sure, was your mom German by any chance, name was ilsa?, email me direct as I never ever check this site.

Last edited:
Hello! I am really, really sorry for this late reply over a year ago!, my memory is awful but my mother was German and I recall the name Child for sure, was your mom German by any chance, name was ilsa?, email me direct as I never ever check this site.
Hi Mark
Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Last edited:
Hi..I went to Shirestone from when it first opened until 1958 when I went to CGS. I remember a Mr Dunkerley( not sure of spelling) and Mr Jones who ran the football team. I played in the team.alongside Phil Summerhill who went on to play for the Blues. Mrs Walker,s maiden name wss Miss Pullen. I don,t remember the others. I can remember sitting in our class next to a girl Barbara Tidball,that after 60 odd years?....

Shirestone opened before 1958,l started there in 1954 ,class 11 Mr.Siviter’s class,l was also in Miss Pullen’s,Mr.Jones’s & Mrs.Czuni’s class.

Hi Mark
Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.
Sorry! You are right of course, can you delete that for me? I don’t know how to do it!

Sadly, I think I am the only person with photo's of my old school (I would love that not to be the case). I found out from the Birmingham Evening Mail that the school was being demolished shortly. I went to the school the next day and took several photos. My big regret is that I did not take 100's rather than just these few. Oh well.

They were taken on 22nd July 1977. I am posting these for posterity as I won't be around for ever and someone may find them useful.

The number besides the images are my internal reference numbers and may be used for discussion. I have tried to recall the location as best as possible but feel free to correct. Hope that this brings back some nice memories for some - it does for me.

Finally, a big 'thank you' to www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey who have allowed me to use a plan of the school. It took me a while to track a plan view of the school down - I'd never seen one before - and it is now easier to visualize the layout of the school. Thanks guys!

View attachment 132180
A045. I think Miss Tonks teached in this classroom.

View attachment 132181
A046 This is looking towards Cumberford Ave and the railway line is behind me.
Photo taken between the yellow and green buildings on coloured map below.
You can see the entrance to Mr Oaklands class through the door window and the flowers behind which appear in A061.

View attachment 132182
A047: This is the building the other side of the main corridor that ran down the middle of the school. I think the juniors came here for the very first time and there was a piano to the right of the door in the picture if my memory serves!

View attachment 132183
A048: A distance further away from A047

View attachment 132184
A049: I think this was the main entrance to the school. To the left is Tile Cross Road

View attachment 132185
A050: The gate faces onto Tile Cross Road

View attachment 132186
A051: The grass in front of the far buildings was used at sports day.

View attachment 132187
A052: The wonderful Weeping Willow tree which was over a little pone, I believe.

View attachment 132188
A053: I can't quite place this but I think it is the gap within the main corridor than runs down the building.

View attachment 132189
A054: The view from behind Miss Tonks classroom. Can't recall what was to the left.

View attachment 132190
A055: A view with Miss Tonks classroom to the left.

View attachment 132191
A056: Think this was the main assembly hall where we would get Spangles on our birthday!

View attachment 132192
A057: The main corridor running down the school. Tile Cross Road is directly in front.

View attachment 132194
A058: The staff just happened to be there that day. Lucky me! I wish now I had taken several of the staff. The names I believe are:
Front row left to right: Mrs Goldstraw (?)m Mr Marshall, Mrs Lysart, Mrs Hartley
Back row left to right. Mrs Lawson, Mrs Ball, Mrs Duff, Mr Atkins

View attachment 132195
A059: The main corridor running down the school. Cumberford Avenue behind, I think.

View attachment 132196
A060: The main heating block the the school.

View attachment 132197
A061. Mr Oaklands ('Beaky') classroom to the right.

View attachment 132198
A062: Possibly Mr Oaklands classroom?

View attachment 132199
A063: I think this is looking out at the gates onto Cumberford Avenue.

View attachment 132200
A064: The main entrance for vehicles. I think Mr Oaklands classroom would be to the left.

View attachment 132201
A065: Some bloke and his dog who lived on Tile Cross Road.
The school was further to the right. To the left would be Bell Lane Shops.

A coloured version of plan view to refer to picture locations.

View attachment 132259

The original un-coloured plan view of the school courtesy of www.old-maps.co.uk and Ordnance Survey.

View attachment 132202
Hi. I‘ve only just found this site and these photos. They are great and brought back many fond memories. I was at the school from 1968 to 72. I remember Miss Potter being my teacher in first year juniors (Class 4O). Mr Handley taught in one of the red classrooms on the map. The woodwork room was also in this block along with another classroom.

Love to know who Villager is! Iused to go to St Peters Church every Saturday morning for the matinee. Sometimes we would play in the local sand pit nearby. I can't remember what is was called.
Hi Colin,
I have logged on from time to time and noticed your post only this morning. I lived in Burleton Road, went to the Saturday matinee and also church for children (in a side room) on Sundays.
The sand pits ( two of them) backed on to my garden, and we used to take tea trays across to slide down.
Regards

Hi - just happened to find this remembering my mum and Shirestone. I was there until 1972 and remember Brian Tilley, Desmond Hoare and Alison Baker. My mum was Mrs Walker (Miss Pullen) and my name is Steve Walker. Lovely to find the photos.

I am stunned reading this from you. My main teacher for, at least, 3 years was Miss Pullen, later to become Mrs Walker. We were very fortunate to have such a lovely lady to teach us. I was at Shirestone from about 1953 until 58 when I went to Central Grammar in Gressel Lane. I lived in Leycroft Avenue, next to the grammar school. I am now 76 and have any cherished memories of my schooldays. Mr Penny, Mr Dunkerley and, of course, Miss Pullen. I met a lady in these pages, who sat by me in her class all those years ago. God Bless.

Hello everyone and especially Mark Skinner. I posted the initial photos on this thread of the school - but missed the school photo - with me!!!!! Brilliant! I've been trying to place the names and will have another think later. I certainly recall most of the faces - it's the names that are a problem. Here is my take on it:

From Top to Bottom, Left to right:

Row1: Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Gary Walton, Billy Moss?

Row2: Robert Shaw, Mark Skinner, Unknown. Kim (Mountney?), Stephen Dowson, Karen Caudwell, ?

Row3: Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Teacher, Unknown, Gary Lynas? Unknown, Unknown

Row4: Kevin Moseley, Kirk Moseley, Unknown, Martin Jones, Teacher, Unknown,Jane Rooker, Unknown, Unknown

Row5: Peter Sherret, Teacher, Philip Hoddnut

Added Gary Lynas? Other names are possibly Sandra Badhams ??? Note my spelling may be out!

I'm fairly certain David Withnal went to our school. His parents later went to Australia before finishing Tile Cross Primary.

NOTE: Have now started a Facebook group of Tile Cross Primary - but not restricted to just the school. Any photos and stories of the surrounding area would be great.

Hi - just happened to find this remembering my mum and Shirestone. I was there until 1972 and remember Brian Tilley, Desmond Hoare and Alison Baker. My mum was Mrs Walker (Miss Pullen) and my name is Steve Walker. Lovely to find the photos

Hi - just happened to find this remembering my mum and Shirestone. I was there until 1972 and remember Brian Tilley, Desmond Hoare and Alison Baker. My mum was Mrs Walker (Miss Pullen) and my name is Steve Walker. Lovely to find the photos.

Hi, I remember you. My name was Yvonne Gower, I was in your year group in Mr Dargues class. I seem to remember you were in your Mum's class and had a younger brother.

yes Ilse, was your dad named Ron? Not sure I can e mail direct.

Back