• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Butler - tailor Dudley Rd

netti

proper brummie kid
I am looking for Thomas Butler, a tailor. In 1901 he was living at 451 Dudley Road, Rotton Park. I haven't yet tracked him down in the 1911 census but believe he was still in the area.

Thanks for looking :)

hi netti
sorry to hear you have not picked up on Harry butler
i think i told you of the shop where the shop was and
that there was only one tailor on the dudley rd
but later it sprung to my mind
there was actualy two tailors on dudley rd
but i cannot be true as how the numbers went
and they both came under rotten park
the one as i have said previously was next to summerfield park and the other one was on the oppersite side of the road
further down as i recall
and the one next to the park was the up market tailor
by that i mean the appearance of the shop
the other old shop was down by laura dixons
dance hall as it was then but yet again i do not know
how the numbers went
but at that particular shop , it was on a corner
and down on or around that block was houses
and i do know there was a family named butler
[ i think her name was caroline butler ] i am not saying
its the same family but it might be associated
it could have been the father or grand father
but doing abit of research may or not show som-think
i will check visual for you on dudley rd the numbers
all the best for now . astonian ;;

Thank you very much for your thoughts Astonian. I am hoping to get to Birmingham library in the near future to look at the directories for myself, so that I can establish how long Thomas Butler was in business in Dudley Rd.

I am also still trying to track him down in the 1911 census. I have found his wife and youngest daughter boarding in a house in Green Lane, Smallheath but no sign of Thomas - his wife says she is married and I have no reason to believe Thomas was dead by then. I have seen a reference to a possible death for him in 1935 but I don't want to order the certificate until I have a bit more evidence.

Thanks again

netti

Netti
I don’t think he was there for long. In the 1899 directory no 451 is listed as:
Sowley, Emily, Bt.ma. (can’t work out what that is)
In 1900 – not listed
In 1903 – Glenton, H. & Co , tailors
In 1904 – not listed
In 1908 – Rowland Richard, hairdresser
No Thomas Butler is listed as a tailor in the 1903 or 1904 directories
Mike

Thanks for checking Mike

Perhaps I misread the address from 1901? Is there an index of tailor/clothier shops with a T Butler mentioned in your book? (sorry missed you already answered that one!)

Neighbours from 1901 include Miriam French - butcher/shopkeeper at No 453 & William H Wilkins, druggist/shopkeeper at 445.

There is also a Primitive Methodist Chapel between 453 & the next inhabited house at 463.

Perhaps I need a map...?

netti

Last edited:
Netti
Have checked 1900 directory also, and there was no Butler ,tailor in that either. Could it be that he worked as an employee tailor in the firm of Glenton’s, mentioned in 1903, and lived on the premises. ?
Anyway attached is a map c 1901 showing no 451 in red

Mike

Attachments

• map c 1904 showing 451 Dudley Road.jpg
    map c 1904 showing 451 Dudley Road.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for the map Mike.

I think you might be right about Thomas working at Glenton & Co. On his son's birth he calls himself Tailor's manager. This was in 1888 and the family were at Alexandra Place, Newtown Row then.

Still hoping to spot him in 1911. Will keep looking :)

netti

Back