• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The 'Woodman' West Bromwich

Steelewilson

proper brummie kid
My 3rd great grandparents Amos and Maria Wells (died 1879) ran 'The Woodman' Inn West Bromwich Road which I think used to stand on the corner of the Albion football ground. They are both buried at St. James church Handsworth. On their burial entries of St. James church it records their abode as 'The Woodman' West Bromwich. Are there any photos of the original 'Woodman' Inn / pub?

I'm not sure if this is the original building as it looks like a 20/30s construction. The Albion bought it off the Brewery and it was demolished in 2004. I'm an Albion fan and I often went in there pre or post match in the 80s and 90s. A sad loss really, many fans wanted it incorporated into the ground. Plus, the part of the ground immediately behind the pub was called the Woodman Corner which was a small bank of terracing which had once been part of the Handsworth Side of the ground, before the old Rainbow Stand was built. The 'Woodman Corner' terrace was demolished for seats in 1994.

I'm not sure if this is the original building as it looks like a 20/30s construction. The Albion bought it off the Brewery and it was demolished in 2004. I'm an Albion fan and I often went in there pre or post match in the 80s and 90s. A sad loss really, many fans wanted it incorporated into the ground. Plus, the part of the ground immedilty behind the pub was called the Woodman Corner which was a small bank of terracing which had once been part of the Handsworth Side of the ground, before the old Rainbow Stand was built. The terrace was demolished for seats in 1994.
hi mark have also been in the woodman pre match...so sad to see it was demolished :( i am sure you know the ground where the woodman stood is now part of the car park

lyn

Last edited:
Yes, Lyn, very sad to see it gone. Like I say, I'm not sure it was the original building, but possibly was and would have been extended or partially rebuilt. Probably easy enough to find out.

Yes, Lyn, very sad to see it gone. Like I say, I'm not sure it was the original building, but possibly was and would have been extended or partially rebuilt. Probably easy enough to find out.
mark only a guess but i think it could be the original with maybe one or two alterations...as said its shame its gone because it must have done good business...

lyn

mark only a guess but i think it could be the original with maybe one or two alterations...as said its shame its gone because it must have done good business...

lyn
Yes, it did on matchdays. I think it did through the week as there are a lot of warehouses and factories nearby- or at least there were in the 1980s & 90s. So I think business was better away from matchday too.

Back