• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Rose of Martinique

B

Beryl M

The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine (Hardcover)
by Andrea Stuart

A reflection on a beautiful and powerful love that is timeless...

I wonder why men take us for granted... While long ago we were worshipped by men. They tried to win us over with wonderful words of love Ardor overcame us...the words dripped with love...

I read the book with wonder... with a bit of envy... For the book was about Josephine B. - who was loved by N.B. His love letters were so very intimate and loving that they took my breath away

Josephine did not even read them... because she was having a love affair of her own... Poor N.B. did not know she was deceiving him... And kept on writing letters declaring his burning love for her... While she tossed them aside and ran into the arms of the first soldier available...

When N.B. found out what she was up to... He was furious and locked himself in the study... Vowing to hate all women from then on... But Josephine's tears pulled at his heart strings... And he forgave her... He did not know she was lying...

She liked the rich life she was leading... And she did not want to give it up... But as soon as his back was turned she was up to her old tricks again... Making deals and secret liaisons with men... She did not deserve such a love... His love was pure and powerful... Much like N. B. himself...

What a lucky woman to have such a love... A heart full of love... Is worth more than... A deceitful soul...

Marie Walewska, N.B.'s one true love... She loved him purely and for himself... She only asked one thing of N. B. To help save her beloved Poland. She made great sacrifices for the sake of N. B. and France...
She remained faithful to N. B. and visited him on Elba when he was defeated…

Napoleon heard of Josephine's Death and went into seclusion for three days, Reflecting on his memories of Josephine...

Josephine died at Malmaison...her last words were of Napoleon She spoke these words: ‘Napoleon, The King Of Rome, Elba...’On the Island of Saint Helene, Napoleon's Last Words were of Josephine...He loved her still....

His last words were...’Josephine, Elba.' The King of Rome...’Josephine was a star in Napoleon's heart always And their love was sometimes stormy and passionate

History speaks of their love standing in the Sun...These stories will remain in my memory always...

Because a beautiful love letter... Shines like the Star - That is Josephine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back