• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Price Family of Aston Duddeston District

jativey

knowlegable brummie
:) Hello

This is my first post so please bear with me!

I am researching my family tree and would love to know more information about my Husbands relatives from this area of Birmingham.  Our story begins with Arthur Edward Price born 1876 in Aston to Parents George Price (1851 Aston) and Ellen Holliday (1851 Derby).  Arthur was an electrical instrument maker by trade.  He married Jane Jones (1875 Aston) daughter of William Jones (1842 Flintshire) and Jane Bryan (1845 Wolverhampton).  After their marriage at St James Church Ashted in 1906, the couple moved to the Manchester Area. They adopted a son when it was thought that Jane could not conceive. In November 1925 a miracle happened and their daughter Gladys Price was born in Monton Eccles manchester, leading eventually to her daughter Glenys and her Son Michael, my husband.

Anyhow, back to the Aston connections ::) I would love to hear from any asociated with the following Price family members - however, small your little snippet may be - please contact me. I do have all the census information from 1851-1901 but if anyone has 1841 census info this would be fab :D

We'll start with George and his parents and siblings

George Price 1818 Staffordshire (a glass blower) and his wife Elizabeth Sheldon 1818 Birmingham - their children -
Emma Price 1838 Aston
John Price 1840 Aston
William Price 1841 Aston
Eliza Price 1845 Aston
Lucy Price 1847 Aston
Hannah Price 1849 Aston
George Price 1851 Aston
Alfred Price 1854 Aston

Next Generation George Price 1851 married Ellen Holliday 1851 in 1873 Birmingham  District their children were:

Florence Fanny 1874-1874
Arthur Edward 1876 Aston
Ernest George 1877 Aston
William Henry 1878 Aston
Florence Minnie 1879 Aston
Mabel Ada 1884 Aston
Nelly E 1885 Aston
Bertram 1886 Aston
Oscar 1890 Aston
Edith 1892 Aston
Frederick 1895 Aston
Stanley 19?? Aston

In 1901 George (1851) was a Tobacconist in the Gosta Green area of Aston.

Any further information will be gratefully appreciated :D

ta very much, as they say int Lancs

Cheers
Jan Tivey

Welcome Jan my mother was born in Duddeston and she metioned a Price family but she sadly passed away so that won't help.
Did the Prices have anything to do with the Butchers trade.

Hi Alf

Not that I know of - my Hubby's great grandad Arthur was an electrical instrument maker and the rest seem to have been employed in the glass industry. his father george was always listed as a glass blower up until the 1901 census when the family had their own tabacconist shop in Gosta Green.

Cheers
Jan :)

:angel: Hi welcome to the forum and site jativey I think this is the family...

census 1841:

Lister St,1,George Price,20,,Glass Blower,Unknown,
,,Elizabeth Price,,20,,Unknown,
,,Emma Price,,4,,WAR,
,,John Price,2,,,WAR,
,,William Price,6m,,,WAR,

( I'm told ages were rounded up and down on this census e.g: eighteen months became 2years, where as thirteen momths became 1 year)

Good luck hope this helps

Chris :angel:

Hi Jan
Welcome to our little band of helpers.
I love the picture you have, is it your family? I love looking at old photos, they are so infomative and give a great insight to bygone times.
I think they mean such a lot to me because I don't have many of my own. ( thanks to a vindictive ex wife). :'(
Anyway, perhaps you could post a full size version in the photo gallery.
Good luck with your searching and once again, WELCOME. O0

It's worth noting that ages on any census should be regarded as suspect until you can verify. One of my ancestors is almost ten years older than he could possibly have been. Besides rounding up and down, people told lies for whatever reason, changed names, all information found should be checked out as carefuly as possible.

Good Luck with your search, and WELCOME

When the 1841 census was taken the enumerators were told to round adult ages up or down to the nearest 5 years. But as hardly anyone could remember when they were born, and all before certificates were issued, even if they could hve read them - it was hit and miss. If you run your eyes down a 1941 census page even the enumerator forgets himself and puts in the age given ie 29 instead of 30. In mho its the worst one for ages. :)

Hi Everybody! ;D

Thanks for all your kind help and advice!

Postie - This is the part of the Price Family - I dont know exactly when this was taken, I do have a few more including one of G Grandad outside his tobacconist shop in Gosta Green - do you think i should post them to the site and if so Where?

Cheers
Jan :D

Hi Pomgolian -

Your census info was most interesting

Pomgolian said:
:angel: Hi welcome to the forum and site jativey I think this is the family...

census 1841:

Lister St,1,George Price,20,,Glass Blower,Unknown,
,,Elizabeth Price,,20,,Unknown,
,,Emma Price,,4,,WAR,
,,John Price,2,,,WAR,
,,William Price,6m,,,WAR,

( I'm told ages were rounded up and down on this census e.g: eighteen months became 2years, where as thirteen momths became 1 year)

George Senior in 1841 is living at the same address as George Junior in 1901 - so i guess he must have inherited the house - but I'm not sure whether this was the same building as the shop they had - this was in Gosta green - is Lister Street in Gosta Green? Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers
Jan

Hi Chris

Thanks for the map - So it looks like the shop may have also been where they lived - I have attached a couple of photos of the front of the shop They feature George Price and one of his daughters.

Cheers

Great Pics Jan :)
Anyone remember Cigs @ 10 for 2d, I think I fetched them for Dad when they were 5 for 2d in Wartime & after. ^-^

Hi All

Now I want you two Postie & Alf to stop squabbling or I'll send my GG Grandma in Law (Ellen Price - nee Holliday) to sort you out - This is a photo of her below - be very very Frightened!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Jan

I'm Glad My hubby didnt inherit any of these Genes

Hi Postie

Here is the picture that is on my profile.  I dont know much about who is who - on the back on the photo is written "BOMPA on the far left with some of his sisters & their families"  BOMPA is Arthur Edward Price b 1876 Aston - my mum-in-law calls him BOMPA - is this common BRUM speak for Grandad?

Cheers

Great photos Jan, you say your gran in law was formidable, but most of the women were in those days, they had to be tough to survive. By coincidence my g.grandparents lived at 13 Lister Street, and my grandad Albert Edward Horton was born in 1876 also, so they were near neighbours, wondered if they played together.

Great photo's Jan. :)

Our son when he was learning to talk called my late father in law BAMPA. I think these name tend to stay in families.

Back