• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Green Men of Birmingham.

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I found this site a few weeks ago and it really is fascinating. The green men are cited as carvings which appear on many buildings built in Birmingham in the Victorian period. They are depicted as having vegetation sprouting from their heads and there are many of them around the city on buildings of that period.
A bit about the history of the "foliate" carvings here : https://houndofhecate.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-green-men-of-birmingham.html

Thanks Jennyann, really interesting. I have a Green Man hanging on the outside wall looking over the garden and I love him!

Am I right in thinking that The Green Man in Erdington is the oldest pub in Brum ?
Just pondering the "Green Man" connection.

Bit posted some time ago by Frothblower re the Green Man and the Crown pub in Digbeth:

Dendrochronology testing at The Lad In The Lane puts it's start date as Spring 1400.
Dendrochronology testing was tried at the Old Crown at Digbeth unsuccessfully. Historians put it as 1480's.
The Lad as only been a pub since 1780's while the Crown goes back to 1589.
This makes the Crown the oldest pub in Brum and the Lad the oldest building.
of course there older Churches.

Back