• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Fighting Mortons

I don't think I have ever felt so humble, in the face of such bravery and sacrifice by just one family, I am sure that this was replicated many, many, times over, what can modern youth learn of such unselfish service to our country.
paul

Hello,
My grandfather ,Alfred Edward Morton is listed by you. He lived at 2 Russell square in angelina street and was killed on April 9th 1917. Is he one oif the "fighting Mortons" ? I don't know anything about his parents.
icon5.png

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie that is so sad. I am sure we will find more information on the family from the kind people on the forum.

Chris and Kandor thanks for that
Now I have to try and figure out relationship with the belows
I know The Father of the Mortons had brothers in the war and one was a sailor
So the puzzle now gets interesting

MORTON, A., Sergt., Royal Warwickshire Regt.
He volunteered in October 1914, and in the following year was drafted to France, where he fought in various sectors of the Front. He saw very heavy fighting, and was twice wounded, after taking part in many important engagements was killed in action in 1917. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
41, Brearley Street, Handsworth, Birmingham.

MORTON, T., Rifleman, King*’sRoyal RifleCorps.
Volunteering in 1914, he was drafted to the Western Front in September of that year. There, after seeing severe fighting and taking part in several important engagements
he was killed in action on February 8th, 1915. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
41, Brearley Street, Handsworth, Birmingham.

MORTON, A., Sergt., Royal Warwickshire Regt. Re-enlisting in November 1915, he was drafted to France in April of the following year, and there fought in various sectors of the Front. He saw very severe fighting, was wounded in action he took part in the Battles of Ypres, St. Quentin and Cambrai and other important engagements until March 1918, when he was invalided to hospital at Rouen. He was demobilised on his return to England in February 1919, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals. He had previously served for some time in the Army. 25, Vincent Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, C., A.B., R.N., H.M.S. "Victory."
He volunteered in March 1915, and was posted to H.M.S." Victory," on board this vessel he served with the Grand Fleet in the North Sea. He was also engaged as a deck-hand in a trawler, employed on mine-laying duties, and did good work until his demobilisation in May 1919. He holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
17, Malvern Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, F., Sapper, R.E. Joining in May 1916, he was sent to France in the following August, and there served in various sectors of the Front. He was engaged on important duties as a wireless telegraphist whilst in this theatre of war, and rendered valuable services until his return home for demobilisation in June 1919. He holds the General Service and Victory Medals.
17, Malvem Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, A. E., Private, Wiltshire Regiment.
He volunteered in September 1914, and on completing his training in the following February proceeded to the Western Front. There he saw severe fighting in various sectors and after playing a prominent part in the Battles of Neuve Chapelle, Ypres, Festubert, Loos and Laventie and many other important engagements, was killed in action at Arras on April 9th, 1917. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals. 2, Russell Square, Angelina Street, Highgate, Birmingham.

MORTON, A. C., Private, 2nd Hampshire Regiment. He joined in January 1917, and in the following May proceeded to the Western Front, where he saw severe fighting in various sectors. After taking part in engagements at Arras, Bapaume and Albert and many other places, he was killed in action at the Battle of Cambrai on December 3rd, 1917. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals.
16 Back of 387, Heath Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.

A.E Morton was my grandfather Alfred Edward Morton, he was married to Florence Foster and as far as I know was a moulder by trade. He was 32 when he was KIA. I dont think he was one of the "fighting Mortons mentioned,his father was also named Alfred,

Back