• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The cresta club

How strange there should be this thread on the Cresta Club, I have just posted on the Matt Munroe thread that I saw him perform at the Cresta. We used to go there regularly, the last time I clearly remember was for my son's 21st birthday in 1980, we wanted my mom & dad to come as it was M om's birthday the day before Michael's but she wouldn't, so we had a party for her at our house which she enjoyed.

I remember going there, must have been early 70's. Midland Counties Dairy (Moland St) Xmas do. Frankie Vaughn was the act on that night.

My BIRMINGHAM BARONS Team Mates & I visited the site of Both the Cresta Club & Ice Rink when they were being built every sunday right up till it was completed, The Ice rink was also know as The Cresta Ice Rink. We then renamed our team THE SOLIHULL BARONS.
The construction company that built it were owned by a Mr Allen (I think that how it is spelt) of Altringham,He also bult the Altringhan Ice Rink.
Sad to say the only time I ever went inside the Cresta Club, was when I had a very urgent phone call very late on a Hockey practice night passed viv the Cresta Club Manager, this ment me taking the call in the club in full hockey gear & sweating like a bull,very RED FACE.
HAPPY DAYS

Remember The Cresta very well,had our Daughter's 21st there back in 1981.there was a comedian on Aidan J Harvey,but never heard anything of him since.

Jemina
He is still working the club circuit on the Costa Del Sol and the cruise ships.

The Ruby Murray connection was her husband Bernie Burgess, once of the Jones Boys ( The whole town's talkin' about the Jones boy) was the manager of the Cresta Club.
Bernie now lives in retirement in Benidorm, Costa Blanca

I think the club at the airport was The Excelsior Not that I went Max, I was a good girl I was lol

The club by the Excelsior Hotel (The Excelsior stood at the entrance to the old airport) was called The Aero Club Patty. I went there a few times but Bloomers was more my stomping ground

I remember The Ice Rink and the Cresta Club being built because the road behind it was where I lived from the age of 3. I spent a lot of my youth in the Ice Rink but only went to the Cresta with my Mom a few times..I was sad to see it go though as I know Mom used to enjoy her nights out there. There was originally a space at the front of the building, I guess an overhang supported by pillars, would be the best way to describe it, which eventually became a car showroom and later a Function Room. (now occupied by the restaurants)
Oh and by the way Baron..I was on the Committee for The Barons for a time....Happy Days !!

Oh and by the way Baron..I was on the Committee for The Barons for a time....Happy Days !!

what years that lindyloo, must have been after the brakeaway VIKINGS were formed As JOHN MORRIS, ART HAMBIDGE & REG WILLIAM ( All commitee members of the original BARONS ) came over to the new Vikings Ice Hockey Club.
Was this the time Jimmy Mitchell was still coaching the Solihull Barons? (this would be though the sixties)
Regards
The BARON

Last edited:
Hi Baron, it was much later..around 1978 and unfortunately not for long. My life took a different path and I wasnt able to continue going to watch the games and even my regular skating became "a thing of the past" :frown:... however my Brother now goes regularly to watch the Coventry Blaze and I was fortunate enough to go and watch a game recently with him and his family, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Regards Lindyloo

zsq.jpeg
I went here a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back