• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmingham Political Union and the Great Reform Act of 1832

ed.s

master brummie
… in which the folk of Birmingham play a leading role in reaching a milestone on the path to British democracy.

I’m sure this story is familiar to many here, but I didn’t find it summarized in a recent post, so thought it might be worth recounting my understanding of the events in question. Corrections welcome!

In 1830, the country was in economic turmoil. With the Duke of Wellington's government riven by in-fighting over the recently passed Catholic Emancipation Act, there was an upswell of public opinion that the landed gentry who dominated Parliament were out of touch with the needs of ordinary folk in increasing financial distress.

MPs were elected from the shires, and from boroughs with wildly differing rules on who could vote, some of which enfranchised so few voters that they could easily be bought by wealthy interests as ‘rotten boroughs’. Newer industrial cities like Birmingham did not have their own representatives. By some estimates only 1% of the population had the vote.

It was in this climate that country banker Thomas Attwood assembled a group of leaders from Birmingham’s workshop economy, with whom he founded the Birmingham Political Union "To obtain by every just and legal means such a Reform in the Commons House of Parliament as may ensure a real and effectual Representation of the Lower and Middle Classes of the People in the House."

At its initial meeting, Attwood and his co-founders addressed a gathering of 12,000 to 15,000 at Beardsworth’s horse and carriage repository, reported as “the largest meeting ever assembled in this kingdom within the walls of a building”*, inspiring other cities to form their own unions based on the BPU's tenets of non-violent protest. Wellington's subsequent speech on the matter, explaining why he felt no electoral reform was necessary, so profoundly misjudged the mood of the public that his Government imploded and he was forced to resign by a no confidence motion within the fortnight.

The Reform Act's tumultuous passage through Parliament** feels to me very reminiscent of recent years' parliamentary shenanigans, with parliamentary power initially finely balanced between Earl Grey's pro-reform Whigs and the Duke of Wellington's anti-reform Tories. The years from 1830 to 1832 saw the Prime Ministership change hands between the Earl and the Duke several times through resignations, confidence votes, fragile coalitions and snap elections, with prorogations of Parliament and battles within and between the Commons and the Lords. Obstructions to the bill had seen huge protests and riots in many cities, with Bristol held by rioters for three days, and attempts at forming national pressure groups had been outlawed, but the BPU carefully kept their actions legal and non-violent, giving the Government no legitimate grounds to obstruct their protests.

By May 1832, the bill had been passed by the now overwhelmingly pro-Reform Commons, but was hamstrung by the Tory-dominated House of Lords, Earl Grey had resigned and Wellington was Prime Minister once again. During the ensuing unrest known as the "Days of May" the BPU met at Newhall Hill with 200,000 people calling for the passage of the bill ***, claiming the support of 2 million and supporting other unions' calls for a run on the banks to put further pressure on the House of Lords. With so clear a demonstration of public unrest, and sentiment in support of the bill around the country, and with the French Revolution still a vivid memory, the King intervened, Earl Grey was reinstated**** and Wellington convinced enough Tory Lords to drop their opposition. The Reform Act passed into law on 7th June 1832.

The Reform Act 1832 abolished most of the rotten boroughs, established electoral representation for the industrial cities, and significantly extended voting rights among the middle class. Thomas Attwood and fellow BPU leader Joshua Scholefield were elected Birmingham's first MPs.

The Act had some grounds for criticism both contemporary and modern: Although the pre-reform franchise had nearly always excluded women in practice, the 1832 Act was the first to deny women the vote in law. The working class folk of Birmingham, whose support to the BPU had been so critical in generating public pressure to reform, would be disappointed to find their hopes of gaining the vote themselves dashed. Thomas Attwood went on to influence the beginnings of the Chartist movement, but without nearly the same impact as his earlier achievements, and universal suffrage would take many more generations to achieve.

Nonetheless, the 1832 Reform Act was a major step towards the UK's parliamentary democracy as we know it today, and the people of Birmingham were at the forefront of the campaign that brought it about.

* The Morning Journal (London), 27th January 1830

** For more details, the Wikipedia article on the topic has a good account of the parliamentary proceedings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1832)

*** For a depiction of the “Days of May” meeting, see Pedrocut’s post:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ffices-great-charles-street.50508/post-760297

**** The Birmingham Political Union celebrates the recall of Earl Grey at a meeting on Newhall hill:
Benjamin_Haydon_-_Meeting_of_the_Birmingham_Political_Union.jpg

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Political_Union)

… in which the folk of Birmingham play a leading role in reaching a milestone on the path to British democracy.

I’m sure this story is familiar to many here, but I didn’t find it summarized in a recent post, so thought it might be worth recounting my understanding of the events in question. Corrections welcome!

In 1830, the country was in economic turmoil. With the Duke of Wellington's government riven by in-fighting over the recently passed Catholic Emancipation Act, there was an upswell of public opinion that the landed gentry who dominated Parliament were out of touch with the needs of ordinary folk in increasing financial distress.

MPs were elected from the shires, and from boroughs with wildly differing rules on who could vote, some of which enfranchised so few voters that they could easily be bought by wealthy interests as ‘rotten boroughs’. Newer industrial cities like Birmingham did not have their own representatives. By some estimates only 1% of the population had the vote.

It was in this climate that country banker Thomas Attwood assembled a group of leaders from Birmingham’s workshop economy, with whom he founded the Birmingham Political Union "To obtain by every just and legal means such a Reform in the Commons House of Parliament as may ensure a real and effectual Representation of the Lower and Middle Classes of the People in the House."

At its initial meeting, Attwood and his co-founders addressed a gathering of 12,000 to 15,000 at Beardsworth’s horse and carriage repository, reported as “the largest meeting ever assembled in this kingdom within the walls of a building”*, inspiring other cities to form their own unions based on the BPU's tenets of non-violent protest. Wellington's subsequent speech on the matter, explaining why he felt no electoral reform was necessary, so profoundly misjudged the mood of the public that his Government imploded and he was forced to resign by a no confidence motion within the fortnight.

The Reform Act's tumultuous passage through Parliament** feels to me very reminiscent of recent years' parliamentary shenanigans, with parliamentary power initially finely balanced between Earl Grey's pro-reform Whigs and the Duke of Wellington's anti-reform Tories. The years from 1830 to 1832 saw the Prime Ministership change hands between the Earl and the Duke several times through resignations, confidence votes, fragile coalitions and snap elections, with prorogations of Parliament and battles within and between the Commons and the Lords. Obstructions to the bill had seen huge protests and riots in many cities, with Bristol held by rioters for three days, and attempts at forming national pressure groups had been outlawed, but the BPU carefully kept their actions legal and non-violent, giving the Government no legitimate grounds to obstruct their protests.

By May 1832, the bill had been passed by the now overwhelmingly pro-Reform Commons, but was hamstrung by the Tory-dominated House of Lords, Earl Grey had resigned and Wellington was Prime Minister once again. During the ensuing unrest known as the "Days of May" the BPU met at Newhall Hill with 200,000 people calling for the passage of the bill ***, claiming the support of 2 million and supporting other unions' calls for a run on the banks to put further pressure on the House of Lords. With so clear a demonstration of public unrest, and sentiment in support of the bill around the country, and with the French Revolution still a vivid memory, the King intervened, Earl Grey was reinstated**** and Wellington convinced enough Tory Lords to drop their opposition. The Reform Act passed into law on 7th June 1832.

The Reform Act 1832 abolished most of the rotten boroughs, established electoral representation for the industrial cities, and significantly extended voting rights among the middle class. Thomas Attwood and fellow BPU leader Joshua Scholefield were elected Birmingham's first MPs.

The Act had some grounds for criticism both contemporary and modern: Although the pre-reform franchise had nearly always excluded women in practice, the 1832 Act was the first to deny women the vote in law. The working class folk of Birmingham, whose support to the BPU had been so critical in generating public pressure to reform, would be disappointed to find their hopes of gaining the vote themselves dashed. Thomas Attwood went on to influence the beginnings of the Chartist movement, but without nearly the same impact as his earlier achievements, and universal suffrage would take many more generations to achieve.

Nonetheless, the 1832 Reform Act was a major step towards the UK's parliamentary democracy as we know it today, and the people of Birmingham were at the forefront of the campaign that brought it about.

* The Morning Journal (London), 27th January 1830

** For more details, the Wikipedia article on the topic has a good account of the parliamentary proceedings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Act_1832)

*** For a depiction of the “Days of May” meeting, see Pedrocut’s post:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ffices-great-charles-street.50508/post-760297

**** The Birmingham Political Union celebrates the recall of Earl Grey at a meeting on Newhall hill:
Benjamin_Haydon_-_Meeting_of_the_Birmingham_Political_Union.jpg

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Political_Union)
Perhaps worth noting that the 1832 Reform Act still required a property qualification of £10 to vote. A substantial sum then. So the majority of working class men had no vote until later reforms.

And of course, no women
Absolutely, I was surprised to read that women could theoretically vote in national elections before 1832. I wonder if any woman did actually vote. (Presumably satisfying the property qualification??) Chartism didn't include women in its demands for a wider franchise if my memory is correct?

No Secret Ballot until 1872 Ballot Act either. Though as the papers and counterfoils are numbered it is possible for the authorities to determine who voted for a particular candidate.

Absolutely, I was surprised to read that women could theoretically vote in national elections before 1832. I wonder if any woman did actually vote. (Presumably satisfying the property qualification??) Chartism didn't include women in its demands for a wider franchise if my memory is correct?
I found a record of propertied widows casting legally valid votes way back in 1640 in the borough of Eye in Suffolk. The High Sheriff, however, deemed it improper to count them:

Otherwise, I don't know of any instances of women voting until Lily Maxwell in 1867 (her vote being initially accepted after she was put on the electoral role by accident, but later disqualified).

As far as can tell from a brief search, there were no women's votes actually counted before 1918.

The Founders of the Birmingham Political Union

My interest in the BPU and the political events around it began with a family connection - discovering that my 4 x great grandfather John Allday was one of its original leaders. This organisation, that went on to represent the voices of hundreds of thousands of people during the reform campaign, was publicly launched on 25th January 1830. At this inaugural meeting, the objectives and rules of the union were presented, signed by the 36 individuals from among the "merchants, manufacturers, tradesmen, mechanics, artisans, and other inhabitants of the town of Birmingham" who went on to form the union's initial ruling "Political Council".

Perhaps of niche interest, but I thought I'd see what I could learn of the others among those 36 founding signatories. Professor Nancy LoPatin-Lumis identifies a few of them in "Political Unions, Popular Politics, and the Great Reform Act of 1832" and other writings¹ ², and I've scoured the trade directories and Birmingham papers in search of the rest³ ⁴. Don't take these latter identifications as gospel, but in most cases I've been able to identify a single likely candidate. Exceptions are John Slater, Thomas Shorthouse and the many possible John Lawrences, whom I've not yet been able to distinguish with confidence.

We have, in order of signature appearance:

Thomas Attwood(1783-1856) Banker and leading founder of the BPU, later first MP for Birmingham with Joshua Scolefield
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Attwood_(economist)
Joshua Scolefield(1775-1844) Iron manufacturer, merchant and banker, later first MP for Birmingham with Thomas Attwood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Scholefield
G.F. MuntzGeorge Frederick Muntz (1794-1857) Metal-rolling mill proprietor, succeeded Attwood and Scolefield as MP for Birmingham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Muntz
Edward Hobsonof "Edward Hobson & Son", merchants, 43 Newhall³

John Lawrence
  • Attorney, St John's Street, Bromsgrove
  • or Shopkeeper, Great Bar Street³
  • or Silversmith, Mount Street³
  • or John Towers Lawrence, Furrier, Digbeth³
Charles JonesSilversmith², New Street³
John Slater
  • Hen & Chickens pub, 17 Constitution Hill,
  • or Coach spring and cooking apparatus manufacturer, Digbeth³
Ben HadleyBenjamin Hadley (1791–1843), brother of Joseph. A pearl button manufacturer².
Later alderman and warden of St. Martins Church
Thomas ToddOf "Thomas Todd and Son", Edmund Street, merchants and factors³
Felix LuckcockBrother of Urban, lime and brick dealers, radicals, sons of Unitarian minister¹
John BettsMetal refiner, Tory currency reformer¹
Charles Grafton(1771-1837) Bookseller, stationer, and iron founder of "Charles Grafton & Co" [Aris' Birmingham Gazette]
Former partner in printing business with William Suffield of the Lamb House.
Matthew DixonManufacturer of plated wares, guns and general factor, 137 Snow Hill³
Joseph BodingtonCharles Joseph Bodington, Corn factor, 82 Bath Row³
Henry KnightChurch and turret clock maker, 15 Ann Street³
John DyerOf "Dyer and Cartland", brass-founders, 27 Loveday Street³
(John Dyer and James Cartland dissolved partnership in 1833 - Aris' Birmingham Gazette 11/02/1833)
William Pare(1805-1873) Tobacconist², Birmingham's first civil registrar
https://www.dib.ie/biography/pare-william-a7181
Joseph HadleyBrother of Ben. A bone and horn button / pearl button manufacturer, Cottage lane, Crescent Road³
Joseph Russell(d. 1840) Printer and bookseller ² ³, 21-22 Moor Street.
Later sidesman of St Martin's
Urban LuckcockBrother of Felix, lime and brick dealers, radicals, sons of Unitarian minister¹
Thos. Shorthouse
  • (1773-1834) Merchant, formerly of Charleston, South Carolina, Quaker, or
  • or (1786-1863?) Patent axletree manufacturer, Hill Top, West Bromwich³
George Edmonds(1788-1868) Lawyer, agent, 6 St Luke's Row, Constitution Hill³
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edmonds_(lawyer)
Josiah EmesButton shop proprietor, 10 Ludgate Hill, radical reformer ² ³
C.W. FirchildCharles William Firchild, dairy farmer, Castle Bromwich⁴ with cow sheds at 38 Legge Street [Wrightson's Directory 1833].
Later of Weoley Park
James ClaridgeMaltster and victualler, Brierley Hill³ and Birmingham [Bankruptcy notice, Aris' Birmingham Gazette, 1831]
J.W. EvansJames W. Evans, Japanner, Tory currency reformer¹
William Beach(1790-1851) of "Beach and Maschwitz", merchants, 35 Lench Street³
J.B. OramJames Boulton Oram, maltster and brewer, of Newton-row / New Town brewery, 140 Brearly Street.³
John Allday(1798-1871) Wireworker and fender maker, 30-31 Bull Street³
Later town councillor, representing Deritend & Bordesley
Sam Allen, sen.Of Samuel Allen & Co, agents and percussion cap makers, 12 St Mary's Row.³
Later hotel keeper, dealer and chapman [bankruptcy notice 1834]
Robert CottrillCorn merchant, Worcester wharf³
Wm. Birken(1768-1838) Gimlet maker, 65 Slaney Street [Wrightson's Directory 1823, 1835]
D.B. SmithDyer Berry Smith (1790 - 1846) of Spark Brook.
Of "Smith & Greaves", Printers, engravers & stationers, button manufacturers and thimble makers, 1-2 Prospect Row³
John WinfieldBrass founder, gilt and plated button & military ornament manufacturer, 4 Great Charles Street³
Later of Clarence-row, George Street. Churchwarden of St Martin's, 1833, replacing T.C. Salt
T.C. SaltThomas Clutton Salt (1789 – 1859), later a Chartist, his brass lamp making business employed 100 men in Birmingham
https://www.chartistancestors.co.uk/thomas-clutton-salt-1789-1859/
Thomas Parsons, jnr.Metal dealer, Tory currency reformer¹

If I had to guess, I'd probably identify John Lawrence as the Mount Street silversmith, John Slater as the coach spring maker, and Thomas Shorthouse as the axletree manufacturer (over the quaker merchant, who appears to class himself a US citizen), but can't yet discount the other candidates.

Sources:
¹Political Unions, Popular Politics, and the Great Reform Act of 1832, Nancy LoPatin-Lumis
²Birmingham Political Union, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: https://doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/42285, Nancy LoPatin-Lumis
³Pigot's Directory 1828-29
⁴Wrightson's Directory of Warwickshire, 1830

Ed
p.s. Not sure how well the supercript source references(¹ ² ³ ⁴) are going to work. Please do let me know if they don't display on your device.

I joined the forum 5 seconds ago and found this just-posted this thread with the list of signatories. FYI, if you're interested, William Beach of Beach and Maschwitz was my great-something grandfather and he and Carl Maschwitz, the latter based in Hamburg, ran a 'British and Foreign Furniture and Carpet Warehouse' with a shopfront at 43 New Street. The earliest record I have of their business is in 1822 when they were operating from Colmore Street; their partnership started winding down - retirement - in 1840 and was officially dissolved in 1843. This record of the Founders of Birmingham Political Union is the only record I've ever come across indicating my grandfather was involved in Birmingham politics, but it's not surprising since he descended from the Beach/Bache family of Tanworth. His own grandfather was a wealthy - self made - early brass founder, his Aunt Sarah married into the Bristol Guppy family (and she is now known as an early female engineer/inventor) - and you could say everyone was generally very upwardly mobile :) They were very 'British', with conservative leanings, yet outward looking for the times in that 3 family businesses partnered with German businesses, and 2 merchants married 'foreigners' (William Beach marrying a Swedish citizen). Oram, Cottrill and possibly Allday all had other associations with William Beach, as recorded in other newspaper meetings of business men. A Cottrill, or Cottrell, was a great-something grandmother of William's. Two other families associated with William Beach are Avery (of Avery Scales, William's great uncle Thomas more or less started that business) and the Balden family. William's son, Thomas, founded a merchant business Beach and Minte which did very well when Thomas and Henry Minte were alive, but went spectacularly bankrupt in the mid 1880s after another member of the family, a John Beach whose mother was William Hollins the architect, took over. I mention all this because I feel there was probably a like-minded club between these men. (I'm currently writing a website about their businesses)

Welcome to the forums Annbee. I'm fairly new here myself - they seem a friendly and helpful lot so far!
Most interesting to read your details on William Beach. I'd hoped that posting the list of signatories might lead others to discovering similar connections to mine.

I'm sure many of the signatories moved in similar circles in Birmingham outside of the Political Council. I'd be interested to know of your possible Allday link to William Beach. I've only so far found them in adjoining articles in the Birmingham Journal (9th April 1831). In the first, John Allday features in the Argus trial, which saw his brother, newspaper editor Joseph, imprisoned for libel. The Argus scandal also involved George Edmonds (as one of the injured parties) and J.B. Oram.

The second article sees a W. Beach, whom I assume to be William, at a vestry meeting to elect the churchwardens for St Martin's. Also present are later Political Council recruit William Weston, Ben Hadley and a Mr Pare and a Mr Russell - likely also the Political Council members of the same names. William Beach himself was nominated as a warden, but declined in favour of William Weston.

John and Joseph Allday were also members of the congregation of St Martin's (Joseph later a churchwarden), though John had only recently defected from his wife's non-conformist congregation at the Old Meeting House, where he would have known the Luckcock brothers, Urban and Felix. The Alldays were themselves a Tanworth family going back to the late 17th century, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were independently acquainted with the Beaches.

The BPU was a remarkably broad church in terms of its members' political and religious affiliations (part of the reason for its success, I'm sure), but I expect what the Political Council largely had in common was their support for the economic arguments behind Thomas Attwood's reform campaign.

Hello ed.s, I'm confident the Tanworth families all knew each other; I've read more than once material in which the same names are repeatedly grouped together.

I'm doing this from memory (instead of trawling through thousands of files I have!) but I know I've paid passing attention to the Allday name, it's catchy for one thing, and why I noticed it was because it would have cropped up several times where William Beach and Allday would have been in the same room as Allday. I'm attaching a snippet from the 1830 political meeting. It's a stretch, but I see that the names are not listed alphabetically, and it appears as if they are listed as they were written down don't you think. It might be in order of seating.

I believed also that the Allday name was associated with Tanworth. Here's just a snippet from advertisement in 1849 (noting I'm not saying they are THE John Allday and Beach - there would be plenty running around by then). Of course I've also seen the name in other Tanworth records.

"FARMS, FARM HOUSES, FARM BUILDINGS, ACCOMMODATION LANDS,TRADESMEN'S HOUSES, PRIVATE RESIDENCES, and COTTAGES and GARDENS, and near Knowle, and in the parishes of Solihull and Hampton-in-Arden, in the county of Warwick :— Lot. a. R. p. 1. —Small Farm, Copt Heath, Solihull, John Allday, tenant; with two Cottages, Gardens, and Plecks, Widow Willcox and John Beach, tenants"

Tanworth wasn't a very populous area until the 1700s. A history book on Avery Scales written in 1950, and I've only seen an extract, claims the Beach family (also known as Bache on some records up until the early 1800s) goes back reputedly to 1320. I've seen another record where in the early 1600s a Bache is recorded as farming barley there, and using lime on the crop (apparently that was noteworthy). The Baches weren't fancy nobles, just ordinary - and successful it seems - farmers. The reason I mention this is that your family, and others, perhaps would have been in the area for similar lengths of time (noting that people did migrate around the country even then) and therefore be very familiar with each other. It's also no wonder those same names crop up consistently as early business and community founders of Birmingham.

Re the Old Meeting House, William Beach's Uncle, Thomas, the man behind Avery Scales, and his wife Elizabeth Gill's family appear to be associated with that institution. If you haven't seen Memorials of Old Birmingham on Internet Archive, worth taking a look: https://archive.org/details/memorialsofoldme00beal

Also I see that earlier you were inquiring about graves at Warstone Lane. You may know this already but, in case not, I had great success in tracing a missing link grandfather by seeking burial information from Midlands Ancestors. For a v. small fee I purchased two burial records and the wording of a long discarded memorial stone. It was this information, who was buried with whom etc, which gave me vital information. If you are interested see Midland Ancestors https://midland-ancestors.uk/resources/ Start with scouring their free indexes which indicate if the people you are seeking might be in their records. They are volunteers and are most helpful.

The second article sees a W. Beach, whom I assume to be William, at a vestry meeting to elect the churchwardens for St Martin's.
I haven't come across this article. It quite probably is William if the date fits; his children were baptised at St Martin's 1816-1829. (In 1816 he had returned from being in London where his firstborn was baptised). Can you point me to the article if you can? If he was a churchwarden, that is something I'd like to add to his history. I imagine it was more a business/community appointment.

Attachments

• BEACH ALLDAY COTTRILL 1830 Political Meeting.png
    BEACH ALLDAY COTTRILL 1830 Political Meeting.png
    91 KB · Views: 3
That's all most interesting. Just briefly before I head off to work:
If you have access to the British Newspaper Archive, you can find the St Martin's vestry meeting article here:
(towards the end of the third column)
On this occasion, William Beach turned down the nomination as churchwarden, in favour of another candidate.

Your 1830 snippet will be a subsequent meeting of the BPU Political Council, once it had co-opted additional members like William Weston. That means it's definitely my John Allday. Your William Beach of Beach and Maschwitz is the only person of that name I can find in the 1829/1830 trade directories, so I think it's quite likely that he and the Political Council member are one and the same.

Re your 1849 snippet - I'll have to check my tree, but from memory, there was a John Allday of Knowle, a farmer and butcher, who was first cousin to my John Allday. I expect the tenant is from that side of the family.

On this occasion, William Beach turned down the nomination as churchwarden, in favour of another candidate.
Thanks for the link ed.s, I am currently with BNA, it's one of my favourite resources. I've read the article and am 90% thinking it may be my William Beach. It doesn't mention that he is also a merchant like the other contender. But apart from that, it does fit the William Beach profile. He wouldn't have been the best churchwarden, he traveled out of the country a lot, on business. The family has never been quick to take up community office I have to say. Thanks again, I have stored that one away.

Your William Beach of Beach and Maschwitz is the only person of that name I can find in the 1829/1830 trade directories
Absolutely, I have traced William's business activities in detail from 1818-1851. There were quite a few William Beaches around town, but luckily Maschwitz was one out of the box. Maschwitz had a descendant, his grandson I think, who was a famous broadcaster/entertainer in his day, Eric Maschwitz. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Maschwitz

Am having a rather hectic few days, so just time to reply piecemeal for now, but re:

Re the Old Meeting House, William Beach's Uncle, Thomas, the man behind Avery Scales, and his wife Elizabeth Gill's family appear to be associated with that institution. If you haven't seen Memorials of Old Birmingham on Internet Archive, worth taking a look: https://archive.org/details/memorialsofoldme00beal

Yes, I've found that a very useful and interesting resource (I have the e-book version on Google Books).

John Allday's connection to the Old Meeting House was through his wife Jane, née Farquhar. Jane was a scion of the Aberdeenshire Copland / Farquhar family, who became very successful building contractors in London and Birmingham. Jane's great uncle was Samuel Copland (1740-1823) of Oxford Street, Birmingham. Samuel was responsible for building the incarnation of the Old Meeting House attended by the Alldays and Luckcocks, after its predecessor was destroyed in the 1791 riots, and his grave is one of the memorials recorded.

The section on Sunday Schools mentions James Luckcock, the "Father of Sunday School instruction in Birmingham". He was also the father of Felix and Urban Luckcock of the Political Council.

Maschwitz had a descendant, his grandson I think, who was a famous broadcaster/entertainer in his day, Eric Maschwitz. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Maschwitz
Eric Maschwitz sounds a quite fascinating Birmingham character. I'm a little surprised he hasn't featured more on the forum, though perhaps he was living elsewhere by the time of his most notable accomplishments.

It caught my eye that other sources note him as descended from a Lithuanian Jewish family who came to the UK in the 1850s. That's about the same time that the Baltic side of my family came to the UK and married into the Allday family (though my branch of the family were in Liverpool by then). I can't tie that up with the Ancestry records though, only finding connections to Hamburg and Birmingham, as you've mentioned, and Sydney.

Now that I have a little more time to respond:
Also I see that earlier you were inquiring about graves at Warstone Lane. You may know this already but, in case not, I had great success in tracing a missing link grandfather by seeking burial information from Midlands Ancestors. For a v. small fee I purchased two burial records and the wording of a long discarded memorial stone. It was this information, who was buried with whom etc, which gave me vital information. If you are interested see Midland Ancestors https://midland-ancestors.uk/resources/ Start with scouring their free indexes which indicate if the people you are seeking might be in their records. They are volunteers and are most helpful.
That's an excellent suggestion, thank you. I remembered that I had a copy of their Birmingham MIs CD knocking about, which I've just been perusing. I didn't find any more on the Alldays at Warstone Lane, but I did find an obituary that gave me a good lead on one of the unresolved Political Council members.
John Towers Lawrence, another of the Old Meeting House congregation, is now my favourite candidate for being John Lawrence of the Political Council. I shall add a post on him later.

Re your 1849 snippet - I'll have to check my tree, but from memory, there was a John Allday of Knowle, a farmer and butcher, who was first cousin to my John Allday. I expect the tenant is from that side of the family.
"FARMS, FARM HOUSES, FARM BUILDINGS, ACCOMMODATION LANDS,TRADESMEN'S HOUSES, PRIVATE RESIDENCES, and COTTAGES and GARDENS, and near Knowle, and in the parishes of Solihull and Hampton-in-Arden, in the county of Warwick :— Lot. a. R. p. 1. —Small Farm, Copt Heath, Solihull, John Allday, tenant; with two Cottages, Gardens, and Plecks, Widow Willcox and John Beach, tenants"
Have confirmed this John Allday is probably one of my family. He is likely to be the son of the aforementioned John Allday of Knowle, who farmed in Solihull before moving to Stoke Newington in later life. He is cousin-once-removed to John Allday of the Political Council.

Tanworth wasn't a very populous area until the 1700s. A history book on Avery Scales written in 1950, and I've only seen an extract, claims the Beach family (also known as Bache on some records up until the early 1800s) goes back reputedly to 1320. I've seen another record where in the early 1600s a Bache is recorded as farming barley there, and using lime on the crop (apparently that was noteworthy). The Baches weren't fancy nobles, just ordinary - and successful it seems - farmers. The reason I mention this is that your family, and others, perhaps would have been in the area for similar lengths of time (noting that people did migrate around the country even then) and therefore be very familiar with each other. It's also no wonder those same names crop up consistently as early business and community founders of Birmingham.
Yes, very similar in station to the Alldays from the sound of it. The Tanworth Alldays that I know of descend from Edward Allday and Dorothy Psalter, who were of 1680s vintage. They were mostly farmers, butchers and cattle dealers.

John Towers Lawrence (1786-1871) was another interesting character of 19th century Birmingham involved in the Reform movement.
On further research I think he is actually not the same person as Political Council member John Lawrence, as both their names appear together in earlier correspondence. Still, he was definitely closely involved with the BPU as well as many other notable Birmingham institutions, so I think it's worth including his obituary here.

The following is transcribed from the 10th May 1871 edition of the Birmingham Daily Gazette (original image available from the British Newspaper Archive):

The Late John Towers Lawrence.

The grave closes to-day over one of the last representatives of the Old Birmingham which our fathers knew. Although of late years the name of John Towers Lawrence seldom came before the public, few men ever worked harder in their day and generation for the welfare of the town, and his departure from among us will be felt as a loss and a regret far beyond the circle of his personal friends. His life, indeed, forms no unimportant part of Birmingham History. Born of an old Birmingham family, the son of a merchant who himself for many years took an active part in local affairs, Mr. Lawrence entered early on his public career. Before the death of his father, in 1825, he was one of the Commissioners of the Street Act, who then formed the local governing body, and was connected with the management of several charitable and other institutions particularly the Lancastrian School in Severn Street; the Old Library, and the Theatre Royal. In 1825 he succeeded his father as one of the trustees of Lench's Trust, and thenceforward for many years his devotion to public work appear\[S\] to have been incessant. In 1827 he fulfilled the duties of Low Bailiff, and on the incorporation of the town in 1838, an event partly due to his own exertions, he was elected the first alderman of St. Martin's Ward. As soon as the restrictions were removed which prevented Nonconformists from being placed on the commission of the peace, he was made magistrate for Worcestershire, and subsequently for Warwickshire and the borough, his appointment as borough magistrate dating immediately after the incorporation of the town. He was subsequently appointed one of the Commissioners of Income-tax, and the last public office to which he was elected was that of member of the Balsall Heath Local Board. Besides these offices, he held a number of others of scarcely less public a character in connection with almost every social and charitable institution in the town. Of several of these, indeed, such as the Midland Institute and the Union Club, he was not only the supporter, but one of the original founders, while in others many useful reforms owe to him their origination and carrying out. Yet, extensive as was the public work undertaken by Mr. Lawrence, none of it was of his own seeking. By nature of a sensitive and retiring disposition, he never asked a favour for himself or courted popularity. But his fellow-citizens knew and appreciated his practical sagacity and high sense of honour, and he had far too high a conception of his duties as a citizen to shrink from accepting his fair share of public work.

In religion, Mr Lawrence was a Unitarian of the old school, and was all his life a member of the Old Meeting congregation. But there was no sectarianism in his creed, no intolerance in his theology. Old enough to reckon the Priestley riots among his earliest remembrances, he rejoiced to see the gradual establishment of religious freedom; but he was never of those who believe that the duty of toleration is incumbent only on the orthodox. The very sincerity of his own Christianity never allowed him to insist on theological differences, and while all who were brought in contact with him could recognise the depth of his religious convictions, none could have told from his converse the denomination to which he belonged.

In politics he was distinctly and consistently a constitutional Whig of the old stamp. In the agitation which proceeded the Reform Bill of 1832 he was an active and energetic member of the Political Union, and after the bill was passed, he felt inclined, with Earl Russell, to "rest and be thankful," and he entertained a profound distrust of modern "tinkers of the Constitution." The general tone of his politics may be gathered from the fact that before Mr. Acland was asked to contest the borough in 1850, Mr S. S. Lloyd, with an influential deputation, waited on Mr. Lawrence to request him to stand - a request, however, which he judiciously refused.

In society, Mr. Lawrence was always one of the most delightful of men. He was pre-eminently a gentlemen of the old school. Courteous but candid, there was no servility in his courtesy, no coarseness in his candour. Gentle and generous himself, he seemed to bring out all the gentleness and generosity in the nature of those among whom he moved - to disarm malice and to attract confidence. Full of anecdote and quiet humour - retaining to an age far beyond that ordinarily allotted to man his love for art and his enthusiasm for literature, his conversation overflowed with rich and varied interest, whether relating to local history, to his fellow-workers in the politics agitation in which he bore a part, to his own personal converse with Coleridge and Parr, to the literary triumphs of Scott and Byron in the age of the giants - to any of the thousand and one topics on which educated Englishmen feel or have felt an interest for the last three generations. Always the same, with his pleasant smile and kindly word, he was a master of the wondrous art which seems to be lost among the children of a later age, the art of making those about him show themselves at their best - of obliterating distinctions, social, political or religious, and establishing a community of sentiment and sympathy. Nor was there anything artificial in this singular charm of manner. It was merely an outward indication of the sterling worth of the man. Of his private life it is not ours to speak. We only express the hope that Birmingham may never want citizens as worthy as John Towers Lawrence of the public and private gratitude, veneration, and love which follow him to the grave to-day. -- Communicated.

Back