• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temperance Hall, Temple Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
While in Birmingham last week I took these photos behind the buildings on Cannon Street. Any ideas what it is or was? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Re: Cannon street

Did you go down Needless Alley?

I think British Listed Buildings is down today so can't check it.

very interesting looking building viv..was there any numbering on it

lyn

Viv
Can you show us where on this c 1950 map the photos were taken?

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing cannon st.jpg
    map c 1950 showing cannon st.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 26

Viv

Are you sure it wasn't Temple Passage off Temple Street?

I thought it was a narrow passage between Cannon Street and Needless Alley. But might have got that completely wrong now you ask. Could have been off Temple passage. Whichever it was I went down a narrow passage leading off one of those roads. Never noticed it before. I know the frontage of the building was nothing like the back, which is why it caught my attention. Looking away from St Phillips the passageway went off to the right. And it was on a downhill slope. Not sure if that helps at all. Viv.

Last edited:

Just found it on Streetview it's Temple Passage. Thanks Phil.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

and i thought we had another nice little mystery on our hands viv...no wonder the building did not look familiar to me i dont think ive been down temple passage...hopefully you may now find out about your building

lyn

very interesting looking building viv..was there any numbering on it

lyn

Its behind #8 Temple Street Lyn. I've just looked on Streetview and the front of building on Temple Street has an entrance with Birmingham Law Society on it. Wonder if the building iswas anything to do with that. But the back of the building looks more like a chapel to me. Viv.

Last edited:

This is the Law Socuety Library entrance actually on Temple Street. V.

image.png

Viv

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have something telling me that this building was The Temperance Hall before the frontage was remodelled.

Attachments

• City Temple Street Temperance Hall.jpg
    City Temple Street Temperance Hall.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 21

Its behind #8 Temple Street Lyn. I've just looked on Streetview and the front of building on Temple Street has an entrance with Birmingham Law Society on it. Wonder if the building iswas anything to do with that. But the back of the building looks more like a chapel to me. Viv.

viv when i first saw your pics straight away i thought it looked chapel like...

lyn

I just checked in Pevsner's Birmingham Guide, it was indeed the old Temperance Hall.

Thanks Phil. A good description of the interior in your post #12. The front was completely altered then. I'll alter the thread heading to "Temperance Hall, Temple Street" and move it to the Buildings section. Thanks all for pinning this down. What an interesting building. Expect the interior has now been carved up. Viv.

Last edited:
next time i am in town i shall go and have a look at this building viv..well done phil

lyn

What a difference! The only similarity seems to be the number of windows on the first floor. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
does not look the same building does it viv..massive alterations including another line of 3 floor windows or is your photos showing the back whereas phils is showing the front..

lyn

The modern photo is the building front on Temple Street. That's a good question whether Phil's image is that facing Temple Street or facing Temple Passage? Viv.

now im getting even more confused viv.. post 17.phils old photo looks like the front of the temperance hall because it has an entrance..what i wanted to know is your photo same post showing the back..

lyn

No Lyn. The modern view in post #17 is also the front of the building on Temple Street. Completely different to the original frontage in Phil's image. The front must have been totally remodelled at some time.

The back of the building (today) is shown in the photos I posted in post#1. Viv.

Last edited:
Attempts were made to build a Temperance hall as far back as 1836, but it was finally opened in 1858

Attachments

• Aris birm Gazette. 31.10.1836.jpg
    Aris birm Gazette. 31.10.1836.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 22
  • opening of new temperance hall. Birm post.12.10.1858.jpg
    opening of new temperance hall. Birm post.12.10.1858.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Mike, that's interesting. From the long newspaper cutting, it seems there was a warehouse area underneath which was let out to raise income for the Society. The entrance was at the rear of the building. Concerts were also held in the main hall. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointer Phil to the Pevsner's guide (post#14). I've had a look at Pevsner's description and think I can now work out what my photos of the side and rear of the building tell us. I've annotated the photos below. Hope this explains. A nice little snippet of temperance history. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointer Phil to the Pevsner's guide (post#14). I've had a look at Pevsner's description and think I can now work out what my photos of the side and rear of the building tell us. I've annotated the photos below. Hope this explains. A nice little snippet of temperance history. Viv.

View attachment 103915 View attachment 103916 View attachment 103917
Hi, just found this thread as I stayed in a hotel overlooking Temple Passage at the weekend and took a very rainy photo from my room. It looks as if the building in the middle of the above photos is a separate entity from the Temperance Hall. It looks like an older building that has been surrounded by the Temperance Hall as it is wedge- shaped. Sorry unable to attach my photo as, despite me editing it the page kept refusing to take it!

The attached photos (from the excellent Historic England site) are captioned as being from the Music Hall at 8 Temple Street .... so I assume they show the interior of the Temperance Hall.
Clearly one is a duplicate of the left-hand photo in Post 26.

Temple Street (8) Music Hall interior 1.jpgTemple Street (8) Music Hall interior 2.jpg

Back