• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stoke Street Ladywood

thanks brumgum the photo 2nd down on the right was the yard that l grew up in three rooms plus a cellar for a family of two adults and six kids where,s the bedroom tax when you need it;-}

thanks brumgum the photo 2nd down on the right was the yard that l grew up in three rooms plus a cellar for a family of two adults and six kids where,s the bedroom tax when you need it;-}
Apart from the overcrowding what were the houses like?, was there also poor conditions.

yes conditions were not great but everyone was in the same boat there was a builders yard at the bottom of our yard and over the six foot wall at the top of our yard was the "beer garden" of the white horse pub which was in William street l also remember every time we walked up tenant street we would get high on the fumes from the india tyre company and we would drool at the mouthwatering cakes cooling at the kunzles bakery happy days

yes conditions were not great but everyone was in the same boat there was a builders yard at the bottom of our yard and over the six foot wall at the top of our yard was the "beer garden" of the white horse pub which was in William street l also remember every time we walked up tenant street we would get high on the fumes from the india tyre company and we would drool at the mouthwatering cakes cooling at the kunzles bakery happy days

Nice account,that's what my Dad always says that everyone was in the same boat. He also says that then we had nothing but had everything and now we have everything and have nothing. My Dad had escaped to the Burbs by the time i was born:tranquillity:.
My Irish Great Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather lived in Tenant Street in the 1881 census, wonder what it was like then:uncomfortableness:.

What was your name and do you remember the mckernans who lived up the same yard?

hi Caroline my name is Dennis Pugh and yes l do remember your family they lived in the first house in our yard and like our family there seemed a lot of people in not a lot of room

hi Caroline my name is Dennis Pugh and yes l do remember your family they lived in the first house in our yard and like our family there seemed a lot of people in not a lot of room
Hi Dennis yes mom said she remembers you all. She seen Terry a few years ago he lived around the corner from her in kings norton. She asked how was your sister Jennifer and your mom Nora? She said she had fond memories living in the yard even though times where hard. She asked if you have heard of anyone else who lived in the street. Nice to hear from you

Hello again Caroline .have you seen the photograph of the yard in stoke street it was taken very close to your mums old front door .Best Wishes Dennis

Dennis, i have edited the personal items about living people, perhaps you would like to message Caroline by visitor message to give her the information, thanks Alberta(Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dennis mom was sorry to hear about Jennifer she said they were friends in stoke street. My mom rembers your mom really well she said she was a lovely lady. Mom said do you still go fishing?I showed my mom the photos of the yard she remembers it well the good old days. best wishes caroline

Hi Dennis mom was sorry to hear about Jennifer she said they were friends in stoke street. My mom rembers your mom really well she said she was a lovely lady. Mom said do you still go fishing?I showed my mom the photos of the yard she remembers it well the good old days. best wishes caroline
Hi can anyone tell me if they remember a jean wadsworth and her husband Victor walkley and I think they had a daughter about two lived in stoke street 40 years plus ago any info would be appreciated.

i have a few photos of stoke st...if anyone would like to see them just say

lyn

I remember your name , I also remember the McKernans name I think it was Johnnie McKernan sticks out the most

Back