• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Vincents St Wharf

Keith R

master brummie
Thank you for letting me use your site...I hope I have put this in correct place.
I was wondering if you have any information about St Vincents St Wharf and in particular W.Burgan and Son as my Wife has found out her Grand Father worked as a Coal Carter around the1920's for Burgans. Her Mother never knew her father and any information or pictures would be so emotional for her.I know all this is a long shot but thanks for reading this
KeithReilly
p.s. Her G.Fathers name was Charles William Bayley and address listed at Great Tindal St.

Not W Burgan but Charles Bayley is mentioned in the Bham Daily Gazette in 1921.
maybe if charli would like to see the newspaper article you could post it for him

charli we have quite a long thread for gt tindal st with maps and a few old photos that you may find of interest...click on the link below to take you to the thread but read it from post 1 so that you do not miss anything..hope its of interest

lyn

Thank you both. Yes it would be interesting to see the article but I know from my Family Tree searching there must have been a 100 men with that name at the time.
ThankYou.
Keith

"charli we have quite a long thread for gt tindal st with maps and a few old photos that you may find of interest...click on the link below to take you to the thread but read it from post 1 so that you do not miss anything..hope its of interest"......
oh yes that sounds brilliant....thanks.

It does say Charles William Bayley, Great Tindal St. Though like on most occasions when someone gets a mention in the papers it's not for something good.

"Dole While At Work. For making a false representation for the purpose of obtaining unemployment pay. Charles William Bayley of 24 Great Tindal Street, Ladywood was at Birmingham yesterday sentenced to 14 days hard labour. It was alleged that on 2 April Bayley drew unemployment pay for a period of three days when he was earning ??? a day in the employ of a local coal merchant."

There is a mention of a Charles William Bayley of 24 Great Tindall St.
in a court case in 1921..Not sure you would like the details on the Forum. If you wish I could send a private message ?

I can find no mention of a W Burgan & Son in the 19212, 1924 or 1932 Kellys (or any Burgan). similarly for the newspaper archives. There was a mineral & coal wharf on the LMS yard on the north end of St Vincent St, though it is not clear from maps exactly which part of the yard was the coal area. Cannot similarly find any reference to a St Vincents Wharf, but this might just be a local referenc eto where it was.

Well thank you that is a shock as he had a daughter that died ( only months old) in 1921.I suppose he served the sentence away from home as in a prison so his wife would have had to find some work quickly to feed her and her other daughter who was herself on 1 year old....as in most of these cases things get reported incorrectly and his address in the 21 census was No 20 not 24.
Well we know he did mange to do his time as he fathered my wifes mother the next year and I think lived till he was 71.

Thank you all.
Keith

Well that does sound highly likely its the correct merchants.....I got my info off the 1921 census and it could have been just a quick reference to them.

Thank you ASTONESS for the link to the great Tindall St thread.......wow so many memories from local people. My wifes Grandfather and Grandmother lived at 20 Great Tindall St in 1921 and then when her Mom was born in 1923 the address of the father was back of 304 Monument Rd with the baby and Mother at 44 Dudley Rd which I think was the Workhouse Infirmary...sadly I have lost track of them together and the Dad turned up at 126 Aston Brooke St in 1930 married to someone else and his ex turns up we think in Newcastle Under Lyme in 1939 also re-married.....would love to place then in the 23- 30 period but its proving impossible.
Thanks to everyone who have helped filled in some facts on my wife's family.

Thank you ASTONESS for the link to the great Tindall St thread.......wow so many memories from local people. My wifes Grandfather and Grandmother lived at 20 Great Tindall St in 1921 and then when her Mom was born in 1923 the address of the father was back of 304 Monument Rd with the baby and Mother at 44 Dudley Rd which I think was the Workhouse Infirmary...sadly I have lost track of them together and the Dad turned up at 126 Aston Brooke St in 1930 married to someone else and his ex turns up we think in Newcastle Under Lyme in 1939 also re-married.....would love to place then in the 23- 30 period but its proving impossible.
happy to help...if you use the search box and type in monument road we have a long thread for that with loads of old photos...

lyn

There appears to be another daughter - Edna Joan - birth reg. Sep qtr 1924, death reg. Jun qtr 1927 (as Bailey). These certificates should give addresses.

I can find no mention of a W Burgan & Son in the 19212, 1924 or 1932 Kellys (or any Burgan). similarly for the newspaper archives. There was a mineral & coal wharf on the LMS yard on the north end of St Vincent St, though it is not clear from maps exactly which part of the yard was the coal area. Cannot similarly find any reference to a St Vincents Wharf, but this might just be a local referenc eto where it was.
All I have is this typed copy off the 1921 census...could be that Charles William Bayley always knew it as the Wharf at the end of St Vincents Street....

Attachments

• 20230517_171801~2.jpg
    20230517_171801~2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
There's possibly another item about Charles in the Bham Daily Gazette 19 Aug 1927. Can't make this one out too well but seems to give the right age (27) and name as Charles William Bayley. Address this time appears to be 1 back of 159 Bridge Street West.

Four months hard labour for obtaining a motor car by false pretences.

There's possibly another item about Charles in the Bham Daily Gazette 19 Aug 1927. Can't make this one out too well but seems to give the right age (27) and name as Charles William Bayley. Address this time appears to be 1 back of 159 Bridge Street West.

Four months hard labour for obtaining a motor car by false pretences.
looked on the British newspaper archive but couldnt find it...

Back