• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Hi and welcome Janice sadly these are not on CD as yet so it would have to be someone with the time visiting Central Library. You may be lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Aiden, sadly there will be very little info on a marriage cert as early as 1826, just the names of the couple, names of the witnesses & whether the couple were " of this parish". It is only after 1837 that there is more info regarding ages, job description, & fathers names appear.

Margaret.

I wonder if anyone can help me find out the info on the following marriage cert please.??

St Phillips 28/06/1852 Marriage of the following...

WILLIAM WALKER STRICKLEY & MARIA BURDEN.

All info will be much appreciated.

Margaret.

Thanks Margaret, I appreciate your reply. Any little additional clue helps and sometimes with luck and the clergyman some additional detail is recorded. However, I think I saw an answer to another request to say that St Phil's does not seem to have been transcribed yet so my luck is not in, yet.

I like your motto by the way - very good - both deep and humourous. I need to think of one.

Hi Margaret.

Once again i have made a note of your request and will have a look next time i am at the library for you.

Regards

Steve

If there is anyone that could get to the Central Library for me and doesn't mind would they be able to check some baptisms out for me please? All from St Philips:

William Gunn son of William Gunn and Patience 3 October 1806. Are there any comments or extra information within this baptism record?

John Brotherton Cox 13 August 1810 son of John and Sarah Cox. A possible address and occupation of the father, but this may not show on a record this early.

Thomas Cox son of William and Patience Cox 21 January 1812. Any details relating to occupation of the father and the address.

Phebe Cox daughter of John and Sarah Cox 12 December 1813. Any details of an address and occupation of the father.

There is a baptism of a William Cox 27 August 1845 Saint Philips the son of Thomas and Hannah, I am hoping to find out the address and occupation of Thomas Cox from the baptism Also, I don't know if this would be entered on a baptism record but the maiden name of Hannah. I already have a William son of a Thomas and Sarah Cox from 1833 Saint Philips, Thomas remarried in 1840 to a Hannah and I am wondering if Thomas and Hannah had another son in 1845 and also called him William.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Ewan

If there is anyone that could get to the Central Library for me and doesn't mind would they be able to check some baptisms out for me please? All from St Phillips:

William Gunn son of William Gunn and Patience 3 October 1806. Are there any comments or extra information within this baptism record?

John Brotherton Cox 13 August 1810 son of John and Sarah Cox. A possible address and occupation of the father, but this may not show on a record this early.

Thomas Cox son of William and Patience Cox 21 January 1812. Any details relating to occupation of the father and the address.

Phebe Cox daughter of John and Sarah Cox 12 December 1813. Any details of an address and occupation of the father.

There is a baptism of a William Cox 27 August 1845 Saint Phillips the son of Thomas and Hannah, I am hoping to find out the address and occupation of Thomas Cox from the baptism Also, I don't know if this would be entered on a baptism record but the maiden name of Hannah. I already have a William son of a Thomas and Sarah Cox from 1833 Saint Phillips, Thomas remarried in 1840 to a Hannah and I am wondering if Thomas and Hannah had another son in 1845 and also called him William.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Ewan

I've got them noted and i'll do the check for you.

Regards

Steve

William Walker Strickley, 37, bachelor, and a cooper of Novascotia Street married Maria Burden, 33, spinster of Coleshill Street, at St. Philips church on the 28/6/1852. William's Father was William, Button joiner? Maria's Father was Thomas, a carpenter. Both William and Maria signed the register as did the witnesses Caroline Burden and Fracis Wilson.

If you IM me your e mail address again i'll send to you a copy of the certificate.

Regards

Steve

Hi Ewan

Not much to report i'm afraid.

There is no extra information for William Gunn's baptism.

John Brotherton Cox. No extra information except for a birth date if able to decipher. I have a copy of this for you.

The Thomas Cox baptism is barely readable but there appears to be no more extra information.

I could not see a baptism for a Phebe Cox dated 12/12/1813. I have checked on the IGI and there appears to be another baptism dated 7/6/1814 son to John and Sarah. I wonder if that would be the one??????

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve

Even though you say not much to report, what you have achieved by looking at these records is something I was not able to do myself, so it is much appreciated. It looks like Patience had a son with a William Gunn before her marriage to Thomas Cox, William Gunn. I wondered if the vicar had made an additional comment in the records as some do.

The baptism lookup of Phebe Cox was a last minute addition, as I am interested to know where the parents lived and also John's occupation. The couple seem to have had a number of children and it was one just picked out, unfortunately I didn't look properly had I done I would of noticed the correct 'extracted' record from the IGI as you have pointed out to me, as opposed to the 'submitted' one. It looks like the 'submitter' had the wrong year for the baptism and then the birth year was in the wrong order.

If you Steve find yourself at the library again or anyone else can check the record for me please it would be 7 June 1814.

Thanks again, can't thank you enough you have been most helpful and generous with your time.

Ewan

Can anyone please help me out by looking at some parish records at the Central Library? There are a number of them to check out so any help would be much appreciated.

I am looking for the occupation of the dad and the address given at the time of the baptism, they are all from St Philips and have the same parents being a John and Sarah Cox.

Sarah - 30 October 1815
Lucy - 19 August 1816
John James - 26 July 1817
Elizabeth - There is a bit of a muddle on the IGI for this one could be - August - September 1818 or August - September 1819
Ann Maria - 20 August 1821
Caroline - 14 January 1822
Thomas - 4 November 1822
William - 16 February 1824
Hannah - Two dates mentioned - 9 April 1832 and 24 April 1832
William Thomas - 13 September 1824
Isaac - 6 May 1828
Mary Ann 6 May 1828

Many thanks
Ewan

If I go tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday, I'll do it for you. Can't manage today I'm afraid.

Thank you very much for your offer Les, Steve looked up some parish records for me last week and I cheekily asked if he could look at these other ones to which he replied he could. So thank you again for your kind offer of help. Steve, I was going to mention to you there is no immediate hurry for these lookups but if you are going Thursday that will be great.

Ewan

Hi Ewan.

Here are the baptism details that i have found at the Birmingham Reference Library;

Sarah, 30 October 1815, Father's occupation SAWYER, address is LIONEL STREET Birmingham.
John James, 26 Jul 1817, information as above.
Ann Maria, 20 August 1821, SAWYER, QUEEN STREET
William Thomas, 13 Sept 1824, SAWYER, WEAMAN STREET

Lucy, 19 August 1816, JEWELLER, NORTHWOOD STREET, BIRMINGHAM
Thomas, 4 November 1822, as above.
William, 16 Feb 1824, as above.

Caroline, 14 Jan 1822, IRON FOUNDER, BRADFORD STREET, ASTON PARISH
Hannah, 9 April 1832 (not 24 April), IRON CASTER, NEW SUMMER STREET
Isaac, 6 May 1828, IRON FOUNDER, SUMMER STREET
Mary Ann, 6 May 1828, same as above.

Could not see the Elizabeth Aug/Sep 1818/1819?????

All have their parents names as John and Sarah Cox

Hope all of this helps.

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve and what a star you are.

It looks like 4 of the baptisms were children of the John and Sarah that I am researching - William Cox 1824, Thomas Cox 1822, Lucy Cox 1816 and not forgetting Phebe Cox 1814. John is stated as being a jeweller to which he was on the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses and the address is in the same area as other baptism and census addresses for the other family I believe John Cox was related to. On the 1841 census these are the only 4 children showing so it does look like there were no other children born or that lived to 1851.

Really can't thank you enough for your time doing this for me but another thank you anyway.

All the best
Ewan

If there is anyone that is visiting Birmingham Central Library, has time and wouldn't mind checking out two baptism records for me please?

The baptisms are from St Philips Birmingham, just interested to know whether there is any more additional information to be found.

A William and an Ann Cox both baptised on the same day 20 June 1788, parents stated as Thomas and Ann. If possible to see if there are any other children of Thomas and Ann baptised around that year at St Philips.

Their other five possible siblings were baptised at St Martins, and Shera had kindly checked them out for me.

Ewan

Finally made it to the library this morning. I'm not sure if any of the information I found out there helps at all!

I found the two children (William and Ann) that you mentioned, baptised on 20 June 1788. Alongside the entry for William, it says that he was aged 3. So I didn't bother going backwards as I reasoned that if they had any other children before William, they would have 'done' them at the same time (unless ofcourse they were baptisd before William was born - always a possibility, see last para! :redface:).

I decided to concentrate on going forwards. I went forward to end of Dec 1791 today. It's hard going as the registers have obviusly got damp at some point and the microfilm is difficult to read. Thank goodness for big curly Cs on Cox!
I didn't find any more children for Thomas and Ann in the period 1788-1791, and indeed if you use IGI reel number to see if there are any more Cox children from those parents, it only shows William and Ann. But on the off chance that they might be useful, I noted down the following:
Jn son of John & Martha Cox 30 Sept 1789
Jn son of Thomas & Mary 24 Feb 1789
Sam s Thos & Jasmina Cox 31 Aug 1789
Sarah d Thos & Jasmina Cox 31 Aug 1789
Mary d Jno Phoebe Cox 26 July 1790
Thomas s Thomas & Mary Cox 8? March 1791
Joseph s William & Juliet 25 Apr 1791
Sam s John and Margt Cox 30 Sep 1791
Mary d John & Abigil Cox 5 Dec 1791

Using Joseph (above) to get a reel ref for baptism 1790->, there are still nonewith parents Thomas/Ann. Plenty with Thomas/Mary though, so could she have died and he remarried?

That was it at the library – apart from the fact that if you have lost a marriage of a Thomas and a Sarah (think that’s right), try looking in Aston Juxta as I spotted one on my trawl for my research!

Now for the surprise!! :)

Having typed the sentence above about not looking backwards, I realised that it wasn’t very thinking. Using the IGI reel number I had shown that there were no other children on that reel and also by using the Joseh from the list above, I had proved that there weren’t any on the later reel. What I hadn’t done was prove that there weren’t any on the reel before. So I took a guess that they might have called a boy Thomas (after all they had called a girl Ann). Bingo, a match. Then using the reel number and looking for Cox children of Thomas and Ann, I found you a whole clutch!!
Frances Blackmas Cox, bpt 3 Jan 1774 (son, even though it’s girl’s spelling)
Elizabeth Cox bpt 18 Apr 1775 died 27 May 1776
Sampson Blakemore Cox bpt 5 Mar 1776, died 12 Nov 1776
Thomas Cox, bpt 23 May 1777
Michael Cox bpt 5 Jan 1779
Phebe Cox bpt 1 May 1780, died 19 Jul 1781

In all cases I was searching on All events, so I don’t think that there are any infant deaths that we have missed
Hope that provided some leads for you…..

Les

First of all I want to thank you for all your hard work and time spent patiently searching through the registers, they can be quite difficult to read sometimes, especially the older ones.

It seems strange that Thomas and Ann had the majority of their offspring baptised at St Martins and William and Ann baptised at St Philips in 1788 and then in 1789 and 1790 they had another 2 baptised back at St Martins. Perhaps the vicar was fully booked at the time they wanted the baptisms?:rolleyes:

I am not sure whether the children of a Thomas and Mary (John and Thomas) belong to the same clan (your suggestion that Thomas may have remarried after the death of Ann) because the 2 baptisms that I mention above were the same year ie 1789 and 1791. Unless Thomas had 2 families on the go at the same time.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, the surprise that you mention Les is interesting because if you see my thread entitled – Is this the same couple?

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31661

I am not sure whether this group of children are from the same family with the same Thomas and Ann as parents. The time span between the children being baptised is from 1774 (Frances Blakemore Cox) to 1791 (Samuel Cox).

There is a marriage between a Thomas Cox and an Ann Justin in 1779, so as Mike Fisher mentions that the second lot of baptisms are from this marriage. Or there is a marriage between a Thomas Cox and an Ann Asston in 1769 at Aston Juxta, the whole lot of baptisms (11 in total) could be from this particular marriage.

Would anyone like to give an opinion on this, is it possible?
thank you again Les, you have been most helpful.
Ewan

hi there

i was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to do a couple of look ups of St phillips marriage records for me.

first one is between a william hughes/catherine mills date of marriage is 9/9/1813 any info would be appreciate especially any regarding william's parents or parish as he is the furthest back i have got with my maiden namesake

second one is of the marriage of catherine's parents Nathaniel Mills and an unknown Elisabeth no date for this one i am afraid but their eldest child was born c1777 any info again would be appreciated would be great to get elisabeth's surname to further my research.

thankyou so much in advance.
mara

Could someone please look up the marriage of Edward Shipley to Mary Greening in August 1822 at St. Phillips. Any information would be a help - fathers names/occupations etc. These are the parents of my gt.gt.grandmother. Thank you,
Sheri

they are on a cd i purchased from bmsgh. called bham miscellaneous. they are just typed entries from the originals. i will do any look ups in those years for you, no problem

That's great & likely to be more rigorous the FamilyHistory. I will dig out me shoebox! Thanks.

Back