• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

Could someone please look up the parents names for mary ann Hands, who was christened on 28th sept 1804 at St Philips Church Birmingham,I know she had a sister Elizabeth,But can.t seem to be able to find her parents names.

Thanks,
Greg Canberra Aust...

Could someone please look up the parents names for mary ann Hands, who was christened on 28th sept 1804 at St Philips Church Birmingham,I know she had a sister Elizabeth,But can.t seem to be able to find her parents names.

Thanks,
Greg Canberra Aust...

father was thomas and mother was jane..

lyn

Just a general point Ancestry now have a good range of BMDs for Birmingham back to the 1500s.
Pay to view of course.

Clarkie

children born to Thomas Hands wife Jane baptised at St Philips
Mary ann 1804
John 1806
Gilbert 1810

Elizabeth Hands parents Thomas and Jane baptised 1814, Carrs Lane.

This where I am stuck to tracing my partners tree. We have got to Isaac but no further. Are the records simple enough to access and go through at library. Ive always imagined going through things in chronological order and hoping by pot luck to find a correct name

I am not quite sure what you are hoping to see but a lot of the Birmingham church records are on Ancestry. The problem at the library is you have to search the record for each church separately.

What names are you hoping to spot?

Janice

As mentioned above, Issac Sley as we cant get any further back than him.

I've searched Ancestry and FamilySearch and the only trace of him is the christening of his son Elijah Sley (later Sleigh) at St Philips, on 23rd February 1795.

As you say there are possible records in Birmingham of several children (baptism and burial) with parents Isaac and Mary. There does not seem to be any record for a marriage so one assumes that perhaps they came from out of the area. A search shows several "Sleighs" in Derbyshire for example. This makes it like looking for a needle in a haystack. The older records just often list a name so there is no occupation to help suggest a correct identification.

Janice

Hi, I'm looking for child of Robert Allen and Emma Riley Salt, named Emma (?Edith), born 1856. All the other family data is associated with St Phillips, but I haven't found her, only in census. Family lived Edgbaston. Robert was a silversmith. Any lookup help much appreciated. Cheers, Gennie

Hi Gennie, yeah my mother was one of the Salt dynasty, still trading as Salts Healthcare in Saltley. I put Emma Allen's family up here a while ago >
https://familysearch.org/tree/person/LVDK-BMW/details

Anyone who watched BBC1 Songs of Praise this afternoon, which focussed on the RSPCA, might have heard a reference to Birmingham being made.
The Rev. Arthur Broome, 1779 - 1837, a Devonian from Sidmouth, was the vicar of Bromley by Bow. He and a few influential people banded together, on 16th. June 1824, to form the SPCA which, later after approval by HM Queen Victoria, became the RSPCA that we know today.
The initial meeting took place at the Old Slaughter Coffee Shop, an appropriate name for such a crusade, but was in fact named after an owner. This incidentally was in St. Martins Lane, London.
There is a little confusion about his place of death, some reports say The Bull Ring, Birmingham others Bull Street, Birmingham. It seems he had become an itinerant preacher and had found much to do there.
There is a record in the Anglican cathedral of St. Philips in Birmingham but the date they quote on their web site says 1834 whereas all other years quoted for his death are 1837, just four days apparently before Queen Victoria became queen.

The burial of Rev Arthur Broome is recorded in St Phillips records as 21st July 1837. It doesn't say when he actually died.

That confirms all other details I have seen Janice. However the following is the extract I quoted in my previous post on the St. Philips web site.
https://www.birminghamcathedral.com/peoplememorials/
Reverend Arthur Broome the founder of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was buried here in 1834, only a record in the registers survives. He died whilst living as a penniless itinerant preacher in nearby Bull Street.

Back