• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Pauls, Ward End

Jayell

master brummie
Can anyone give me any information on this church? I have a relative who married at this church in 1925. I have just been told about this by a cousin who has the marriage certificate of his grandmother. The only church I have been able to find in Ward End is St Margarets. Apparently this church was created out of St Peters and St Pauls (Aston Juxta) in 1870. Can anyone throw any light on St Pauls, Ward End please?

Judy

Does this help

C of E
Ward End – St Margaret St Margaret’s Road / Church Walk ( O. S GR SP 114886 )
Was originally built in or shortly before 1517. A new church was dedicated in 1834 and consecrated in 1841. In 1870 the parish of St Margaret, Ward End was created out of St Peter & St Paul’s Aston. The expanding population of the district were met in the early 20th century by the establishment of missions. A mission room in Blakeland Street was licensed for public worship from 1909 to 1924, and a church room in Sladerfield Street from 1925 to the Second World War. St Paul’s mission room, Bordesley Green was licensed in 1912 and was consecrated in 1929. In 1935 Christ Church, Ward End was consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Margaret’s. Parts of St Margaret’s parish were taken to form St Paul’s, Bordesley Green 1928, and part of St Mary and St John’s, Shaw Hill 1929.

Registers at Birmingham Central Library – Archives department
Baptisms 1842 – 1975
Marriages 1870 – 1981
Burials 1842 – 1942

So where in Bordesley Green was St Paul's Mission Room? Thinking back, the old Snooker Hall looked as though it might once have been a Church.

Thank you all for your help. So St Paul's Church was in Bordesley Green and not Ward End? I will check with my cousin as to the exact wording on the marriage certificate, but I'm sure he will be thrilled with this information as we couldn't figure out where the church was situated.

Judy

Back