• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthias School

lindev

master brummie
did noone go to st. mathias school in wheeler street, i havent heard it mentioned on here, after there i went to lozells girls school.

we can only put on what people submit perhaps now you have started a thread it will cause some interest
there is a photograph and a bit of text on the main Aston site under schools

St Matthias 1902

Hi Lindev, I went to Burbury Street but I had friends who went to St Matthias; Duncan Bagley and Johnny Wells for example. I knew girls from Lozells Street; Barbara Clarke and Valerie Hale in particular. My parents went to St Matthias, below is a photograph from 1902. My Uncle Ran is holding the board and behind him is my Mom, sucking her thumb.
In the 70s I met a chap working in a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye who had been a teacher there in the 30's but unfortunately I don't remeber his name

Hi ya

My Mum went to St Matthias and Lozells girls school. Would guess at between 1944 - 49 at St matthias and 1949 - 1954 at Lozells. Her name was Janet Hadley.

Kaz

Michael what a lovely photo. It so nice to see these old photo's especially when they have a local interest.

My grandma went to St Matthias school. She was born in 1884 and I have her short description of what school was like. She says she left after passing x7 grade. What age would that have been? What does the 'x' mean?

Image118.jpg

Back