• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Clock

Lacy

proper brummie kid
I've done a search but can't find the answer. Forgive me if this has already been covered.

Does anyone know why three of the clock faces on St Martin's church tower are the same and the fourth, facing New Street, is different and bigger?....looks too big and out of proportion. Photo's suggest it's been like this for some time with early 20th c photo's appearing to show this discrepancy.

I think that this is the one facing Spiceal Street at the Bullring.

This pair of clocks are close to the Bull Ring markets near Edgbaston Street

Another view of the clocks on the church (but before the 2011 Spiceal Street development was built)

Most of these photos are from 2009.

2013 view from the former Costa balcony (when it used to be within Forever 21). The two ordinary looking clocks.

I'll hazard a guess that the larger clock facing New Street was regarded as the most important. The junction of New Street and High Street, and the outdoor market area and the old Market Hall would have been the hub of Birmingham when the clocks were added to the church. Just a guess, but can't think of any other reason other than running out of money to make the same quality clock for the other clocks. Viv.

Maybe it was one of those deals "Buy three, get one Free! But only had three of the cheapie specials so gave them a quality one (from under the counter!

Back