• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Laurence Northfield Lookups

G

gags

Trying to find the baptism of John Grogan born abt 1834, son of Matthew Grogan according to his marriage cert. Place of birth on census's just states Birmingham so just clutching at straws a bit with this Church but there is a burial listed on the BMSGH microfiche so hoping that this is the right parish for the Grogans. Really desperate to find out who his Mother was.

Any help really appreciated
Gags

Trying to find the baptism of John Grogan born abt 1834, son of Matthew Grogan according to his marriage cert. Place of birth on census's just states Birmingham so just clutching at straws a bit with this Church but there is a burial listed on the BMSGH microfiche so hoping that this is the right parish for the Grogans. Really desperate to find out who his Mother was.

Any help really appreciated
Gags

Hi,

There appears to be two people on GenesReunited who appear to be researching the same family as you. They have a John Grogan born 1834 in Birmingham and they also have a Matthew Grogan born 1805 in Leicester or Birmingham. I always check Genes just in case someone has already done the leg work. Names are Lisa and/or Phillip. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Lana

Hi Lana

Thanks for replying, I've been in touch with Philip some time ago but he's in the dark like I am, sent a message to Lisa a few days ago and am waiting for a reply.

All the best
Gags

I found a photo of the grave of my Great Grandparents in Northfield churchyard. I went to St. Laurence church this morning and I foolishly thought, armed with photo, it would take me no time to track down their grave!!! How wrong I was!! Is there another Northfield churchyard I have missed? or if it has been damaged is there any way of finding where the grave was?

There's St. Nicolas in King's Norton. (Sometimes they spell it with an 'h'). I found a small book in Central Library, and located 2 graves. The 3rd is missing, I emailed them several times a year ago about it, I've had acknowledgent but no details about the missing gravestone. Some of the really old ones have been used as paving stones, but yours looks more recent.

The family lived in Church Road - just up the road from St. Laurence church and I have a mourning card that says they were interred at Northfield Churchyard. Does the central library have records of burials in all churches?

They do have quite a lot, they are mostly on microfilm. I don't know about availabilty at the moment because of the closures, I haven't been for a while, but I think they have a still website, the list of churches covered might be on there.

I found this photo of the grave of my Great Grandparents in Northfield churchyard. I went to St. Laurence church this morning and I foolishly thought, armed with photo, it would take me no time to track down their grave!!! How wrong I was!! Is there another Northfield churchyard I have missed? or if it has been damaged is there any way of finding where the grave was?

Just one observation, without knowledge of the date, the photograph seems to be of a modern'ish nature, therefore I suspect the burial was st Lodge Hill Cemetery, Selly Oak.

Clarkie

Just ring V. Morton up (Funeral directors)in Northfield they supplied the marble , and will tell you where it is located.

I would say it's a cemetery rather than a churchyard. I would do as John suggests.

Email: [email protected] Phone no 0121 476 9111.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help. I took your advice and have contacted Morton's, they were really helpful. I have now FOUND the grave!!! It was at St. Laurence church but the headstone had fallen down and the grave was surrounded by a group of fir trees so was covered with branches and rotting pine needles. Again thank you everyone for your help and advice.

I'm so glad you have found the grave. Maybe you will be able to have the headstone fixed.
rosie.

I have found Michaels grandfather's baptism record on Ancestry. He was born in Adam Street as we know one of the poorest areas of Brum. I was quite amazed to see he was baptised at St Laurence's church. I now wonder why they traveled to far for the baptism. He had siblings baptised there as well although not all of them.

Back