• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Gabriel's Italian Church Deritend

And what about the White Swan in Bradford St/Birchall St? Modesty forbids me to say who runs the simply brilliant Music Quiz at the fantastic old boozer...who? My son Iain? OK I admit it...

Thank you, Dennis, for bringing to our attention the excellent Rainbow in Deritend. The owner / landlord deserves applause & custom for the way the building is cared for.:0214:
Thank you for the pictures, Ell. I have long been enjoying your photos on Flickr.

Those old Digbeth pubs take me back to the days of yore when The Jug O'Punch folk club was at Digbeth Civic Hall, hosted by Ian and Lorna Campbell and sometimes Harvey Andrews. Before going to the club we'd meet up at a pub in either Meriden St or Oxford St for a few pints of excellent mild to lay a foundation for the rough scrumpy at the Civic Hall. For the life of me I can't remember the name of that pub, but it was locally known as The Kelsey House because it was a Kelsey brewery pub (probably the only one in Brum). Anyone got any ideas?

Was it this one Big Feller? The Wagon & Horses, Adderley Street, one of the oldest pubs in Brum...still going. Remember the Jug O'Punch nights very well. Loved Ian Campbell and his group, still do. I know it was all finger in the ear "Jolly Herrings" stuff, but I just loved the atmosphere. All that sweat and cider and Duffel coats...never quite took to his lad Ali and the UB40 gang as much, but they were OK cos they were Brummies.

Last edited:
The Adderley St Waggon & Horses is listed, too, Dennis. It looks to have some Georgian characteristics, though I have not researched the building yet.

I just called an old boozing mate of mine (not many left now) and he reckons "The Kelsey House" was on the corner of Allison St and Coventry St.
Unfortunately like me he has a beer-sodden memory and can't recall the name of the pub. He knew it only as "The Kelsey House". If the snow and ice ever clear I may venture forth and have a look. I haven't been down Digbeth for years.

Big Gee

Both pubs are in very similar locations, but I think The Kelsey House may well have been The Old Wharf. Thanks very much for this.

Big Gee

Ellbrown East side cafe I recognise this as the Dolphin cafe back in the 50-60s they also did B&B if my memory serves me right. Dek

In 1932 it was named the Dolphin public house. not listed 1936, but in 1937 it is a coffee rooms, and later became Dolphin cafe
Mike

Moving along nicely, anyone remember this garish beauty of my yoof? Swept away now, but very memorable signage. Never heard of Morgans sausages since...

I think Phil knows sometyhing about the Morgan Sausages place. There is a Morgans sausages co still apparently - MORGANS SAUSAGES & BACON LTD. ORCHARD HO ORCHARD TRDG EST TODDINGTON CHELTENHAMGL54 5BY, though itn is probably a completely different firm
mike

A sort of before and after miracle in photographs. Deritend/Camp Hill Flyover. Built in two months (according to the dates on the legends of these photos). Could we do this today without closing Digbeth and rerouting all traffic through Aston Expressway for 6-7 months (Heath & Safety, naturally)? Me? Cynical?

I still like the Digbeth Institute facade, and remember the jazz nights there in the 60s fondly, but I like the older version best... The older building is 1886 and the entrance to the newer version is dated 1908.

A sort of before and after miracle in photographs. Deritend/Camp Hill Flyover. Built in two months (according to the dates on the legends of these photos). Could we do this today without closing Digbeth and rerouting all traffic through Aston Expressway for 6-7 months (Heath & Safety, naturally)? Me? Cynical?

Dennis

I don't know how long the preparation work took, though I don't think it took two months. I think you will find that the flyover itself went up in a very short time, I think it may have been over a weekend, it certainly wasn't longer than a week thats if I haven't been dreaming.

Phil

Dennis

I don't know how long the preparation work took, though I don't think it took two months. I think you will find that the flyover itself went up in a very short time, I think it may have been over a weekend, it certainly wasn't longer than a week thats if I haven't been dreaming.

Phil

Having read Carl Chinn's book since I posted that, he agrees with you! A week. A WEEK. A bloke took longer than that to put up my greenhouse...!

Have you seen this gem of a shot before, depicting a time and place when the River Rea was a boating leisure experience.... Is this one of those Park Street mansions do you know? It may have been discussed before on an earlier Thread.

Apropos of the Camp Hill Flyover story a few posts back, here is an interesting prequel photograph to that structure, the Traffic Island at the bottom of the hill.

Dennis

Here is a shot of the flyover in its entirety which is something not often seen.

Phil

BordesleyCampHillFlyoverAirel.jpg

Back