• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Edburgha's Church Yardley

Hi,

The churchyard was landscaped over 60 years ago, and some of the gravestones were from recollection
displayed against the back wall of the churchyard.

I used to meet my girlfriend there on one of the benches behind the church in the very early 60's,
and I married her there in 1965 ( in the church that is, not on the bench!)

Still together, so it must have done us good.

Kind regards
Dave
thanks dave...i did wonder if the gravestones had been kept and laid against an outer wall...would be interesting to find out if they may still be there...at least that would be something

lyn

I've just had a look on Google maps but my zoom isn't good enough to make out whether there are stones against the wall. There seems to be lights of some sort, or perhaps they are memorials. I think there is a single grave with a "mortsafe" over it. Morturn will probably know what it is!!
rosie.

If any one is interested on 10th and 11th June St Edburghas has a Fund raising event/open weekend.

Sat 10th 11am to 1700pm and Sun 11th 12.30pm to 17.00pm. It is called the Katherine of Aragon weekend. There will be a story told about Katherine of Aragon and the North door at 13pm and 15pm on both days. To Listen to the talk you need to book as spaces will be limited. There is a number to contact to book a space on the link below if anyone is interested.

It's a beautiful church indeed. I used to live in Yardley some years back and I spent many hours during my childhood playing in the park near there. The churchyard felt so much bigger back then and the church felt like a cathedral. I wrote the article on Wikipedia.

The actual church dates back further than 1461 to the 13th century. There are some interesting features on the church. One is the scrape marks on the base of the tower which were probably caused by someone sharpening their sword. Another is the doorway to the side of the church which is decorated in commemoration of the of the marriage of Henry VII and Katharine of Aragon.

I remember there being an open day at the old school next to it. But I just can't remember what it was like inside. I just remember looking out of the front window on the first floor.

Sorry I wrote all that and not given you any information on researching family history there, though.:redface:

Loved Yardley Old Church and listening to the Church bells when someone got married on a Saturday and played on the park all through the seasons with my mates . Football Cricket Tennis and the Puuting green with the red metal flags with the numbers on. Happy times. Please correct me but iam sure they had bell ringing practice on a Wednesday evening. I was staying in a village in Devon last year and whilst walking the dog the local church were having their bell ringing practice. A beautiful sound .

I joint this site mostly for family research but I now find myself interested in history, and I was reading an article in the evening mail about queens park in yardley and the lovely church st edburgha's, I didn't realise that it was so old it was completed in 1461 and was dedicated to king alfreds grandaughter and next to the church is a trust school thought to date back to 1512 but was no longer a school in 1908 and is now used as parish rooms, I have been to many weddings there and have never noticed the school so I must go and have a look next week. My mom and dad were married there too.

I used to have a paper round at the post office on the corner not sure it's still there now, and used to go to the old school in the summer holidays to do activities was also a member of the churches Sunday school and scout troop good days early 80s

I assume you have seen the burial records. I would contact the church and ask if they have grave plans which would show the site of the grave.

Be warned - I have just read an article which suggests the graveyard no longer has gravestones and has been "landscaped".
Hi I have been in touch today with the church for my own family research. The grave stones have been removed but there is a site plan in the office which may help. I am looking for the Showell family who attended the church in the 1700's to the 1800's.

Back