• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Edburgha's Church Yardley

Hello Dennis I have got Yardley revisited but I didn't know about Yardley images I'll have to get that one thanks.

Hi Steve, Re the photo of Helen & Mabel sitting on the m/cycle this is Not in the garden of No1 we only had very small gardens, from the back of our terraced house was the back door and the length of the scullery (kitchen) approx 10-15ft next the brick built coalhouse & WC both with doors about 36ins wide then a corrugated iron slopeing roof over a wood and wire netting place to keep your metal dustbin following on from that Mr.Goode had built a shed about 15ft long x 5ft wide in which he made his own hinged wooden leg it was a work of art. Len.

Found my church

Image2a.jpg

St Giles, Sheldon

s_bir16.jpg

Another missing piece found :cool:

Hi Viv,

Those pics bring back some memories.

I got married there in 1965, and I must confess I did quite a lot of my courting
in that porch. I must have done the right thing, as I still have my dear wife
Sheila today!

Kind regards
Dave

This is on one side of the church I lived on Moat Lane in Yardley for my first 23 years went to Sunday school there

Attachments

• 50647904_1662474313852598_3787884799696306176_n.jpg
    50647904_1662474313852598_3787884799696306176_n.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 12
This is on one side of the church I lived on Moat Lane in Yardley for my first 23 years went to Sunday school there
Those look like ornamental carvings but I remember my Dad showing me cuts on the walls where he said that swords were sharpened in the Civil War.

How interesting. Is anything known about the feature ? My first instinct was that the patterned courses were originally the top of the wall and the darker bricks being a later addition to raise the height of the wall. Although I’m not sure. Viv.

This is the view on William Dargue site. He attributes the cuts to arrow sharpening.

Attachments

• 4763FEB0-3CBF-497A-8681-168E4C1F192B.jpeg
    4763FEB0-3CBF-497A-8681-168E4C1F192B.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 15
From an early age of living in Yardley i was told that the slots in sandstone of St Edburgha`s church were made in the Civil War by Cromwells Soldiers sharpening their swords before they captured Birmingham and after they had defeated the Royalists in the city of Worcester, Yardley was still part of Worcestershire then and Hay Mills, Tyseley and Yardley and surrounding districts were only passed into Birmingham, Warwickshire in 1911.
This is the same story I was told more than 60 years ago.

Hello I found out that my 4th grest grandfather Jonas Bowen (d 1867) and his wife Esther Prime Bowen (d 164) are buried here. Does anyone know how I could find a phot of gravestone or where to find an index? I would love to visit and see where they are buried.

thank you
Karen

Hello I found out that my 4th grest grandfather Jonas Bowen (d 1867) and his wife Esther Prime Bowen (d 164) are buried here. Does anyone know how I could find a phot of gravestone or where to find an index? I would love to visit and see where they are buried.

thank you
Karen
I assume you have seen the burial records. I would contact the church and ask if they have grave plans which would show the site of the grave.

Be warned - I have just read an article which suggests the graveyard no longer has gravestones and has been "landscaped".

Last edited:
This is the view on William Dargue site. He attributes the cuts to arrow sharpening.
I took a very similar photo I was told much the same tale by the vicar

Attachments

• 50647904_1662474313852598_3787884799696306176_n.jpg
    50647904_1662474313852598_3787884799696306176_n.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 6
On street view it doesn't look as if there are gravestones visible. Do let us know what you find out.

thank you I have emailed them I am appalled if they have bene landscaped
hi brumbird i agree with janice...i have also looked at various years on street view and can not see any headstones either....thinking back to when i visited the church about 7 years ago i cant recall seeing any headstones...although there should be a plan of the graveyard i just cant think why a working church would remove all the headstones and would be most interested to find out the reason for doing so...good luck

lyn

Harking back to post #11.
The map below shows Yardley just within the Worcestershire boundary. Top of photo, just right of centre. The second photo is for context of the map.

old map 1.jpeg

old map 2.jpeg

I mentioned this to Julie. "Yes, I knew that". (She is a Worcestershire girl). Clever Clogs.

Andrew.

Not sure if this is when the churchyard had the stones removed or not. Sunday Mercury October 8th 1961

Attachments

• Yardley 1961.JPG
    Yardley 1961.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 14
Reference "In the midst of Life" by Joe McKenna.
The churchyard was closed in 1883 after the Yardley Cemetery was opened.burials did continue in established graves upto 1935. In 1927 the ground was transferred to the keeping of the Parks Committee.
(Jan posted while I was typing,) I wasn't sure if the stones had been laid around the walls but thanks to Jan that has been answered.
rosie.

Reference "In the midst of Life" by Joe McKenna.
The churchyard was closed in 1883 after the Yardley Cemetery was opened.burials did continue in established graves upto 1935. In 1927 the ground was transferred to the keeping of the Parks Committee.
(Jan posted while I was typing,) I wasn't sure if the stones had been laid around the walls but thanks to Jan that has been answered.
rosie.
Thank you I must try and get the book

I bought it some years ago from Birmingham Library.
Birmingham City Council Library Services, ISBN 0/7093/0188/X.
It's only 55 pages but is very useful, it was only £3.50 at the time!
rosie.

I bought it some years ago from Birmingham Library.
Birmingham City Council Library Services, ISBN 0/7093/0188/X.
It's only 55 pages but is very useful, it was only £3.50 at the time!
rosie.
thank you I will contact them

On street view it doesn't look as if there are gravestones visible. Do let us know what you find out.
I have had the following reply from the parish administrator - so hoping they are on the plan.
The gravestones in our churchyard were removed decades ago. However, a plan of the graves was compiled before they were removed.
Many of the inscriptions had been eroded by time and weather, so it is far from complete. When I am back in the office tomorrow I will look for your ancestor. I will let you know.

Hi,

The churchyard was landscaped over 60 years ago, and some of the gravestones were from recollection
displayed against the back wall of the churchyard.

I used to meet my girlfriend there on one of the benches behind the church in the very early 60's,
and I married her there in 1965 ( in the church that is, not on the bench!)

Still together, so it must have done us good.

Kind regards
Dave

Back