• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Alphege Church Solihull

SteveJones53

While researching my Family Tree I've found a number of occasions (Between about 1780 – 1830) where couples who were Christened at St. Alphege Church, Solihull and lived in the Parish were married at St. Martin’s Birmingham. This isn't because they moved to Birmingham, as they went on to raise a family in Solihull. Could anyone tell me the reason for this please?

This may have something to do with it.
The south aisle, owing to a structural weekness in the arcade and the pressure of the nave roof, collapsed in 1751 and was again rebuilt almost immediately afterwards, but the arcade and aisle again failed to resist the thrust of the roof in 1939 were heavily shored with timber until the work of restoration was undertaken.[SUP][4][/SUP]
There have been several restorations. In 1879 the west window was renewed and other repairs executed, including work to the roofs of the nave and aisles, which were stripped and rebolted. The chancel roof, which had suffered severely from the ravages of the death watch beetle, was reconstructed in 1933. At the apex of the spire is a weather-vane.[SUP][4][/SUP]

Perhaps there were periods when it was not available or perhaps it was was considered just bad luck to get married there. Who knows?

That could be a reason why the marriage was not at St Alphege but there are many churches much nearer than St Martins. It may just be that they preferred to marry at one of the major churches. At that time both Solihull and Birmingham were in Warwickshire.

Thanks Ken_R, structural defects certainly sound a logical reason why people weren't married at St. Alphege and as St. Martin's was the Main Diocese church that's why they had to go there, but as Bernie said there are many churches like Sheldon or Bickenhill much nearer.
I was under the impression that you had to get married in your home Parish in those days and that might be another reason they had to go to St. Martin's rather than a local Parish.

Thanks again
Steve

Just found this, which suggests St. Alphege might not have been licensed for Marriages:

Hardwicke's Act 'for the better prevention of clandestine marriage' came into force on 25th March 1754. It had the following provisions:
  • All marriages had to be performed in 'licensed buildings' which usually meant the Parish Church (except for Jews and Quakers).
  • Marriages had to be preceded by the calling of Banns or the issue of a Licence.
  • At least one of the couple had to reside in the parish.
  • The marriage register had to be signed by both parties and by witnesses.
  • Marriages had to be recorded in separate volumes from baptisms and burials.
Note that not all churches were licensed for marriages and, therefore, some churches acted as a 'mother church' for other parishes.

https://www.solihull.gov.uk/familyhistory/14560.htm

The local Solihull History Group may be able to help further Steve. Unfortunately do not have any contact details for them.

Thanks Carol & Bernie,
I'm still digging to see if I can find out if St. Alphege didn't have a marriage license back then and if so why. I'm searching Parish records at the moment to see if any other marriages took place there and will post my findings later as it might be useful to someone else.

Thanks again,
Steve

Back