• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Solved

difficult one...do you know if this person held a market stall at the bull ring market...its my best guess

lyn
No they did not, it was just taken there, I'm guessing on a day when they were shut. I've looked at old archived photos and I can see some markets that no longer exist, like the Oasis and The Row market, but none resembles this nor does it show the location of where this may be. It's definitely in Birmingham City Centre but the city has seen a lot of changes so I'm guessing this particular area no longer exists, but long as I know what it is now, it will help me greatly.

Looking at the brown coloured uprights in your photo, they can be seen in many Bullring Market images and videos. There are no shots which exactly match your photo but have a look through the video below.
See towards the end of the clip.
scrshot.jpg

The video merely dates as 'Bullring market Birmingham 1980's'
If you have not already done so click on the YouTube image and it will run within the forum.
It will expand to full screen.

I think the stall in your pic is in the area marked with circle in this aerial view. Note it's position relative to the partially built rotunda on New Street.
View attachment 173547
The image is from the collection in this link to the Birmingham Mail
Is this place now demolished? I thought it may have been the ole wholesale market area which has also been destroyed.

If I were to visit the circled area now, what would be there?

I've marked where I think it is on this modern view. Note the position relative to St Martins Church which can be seen in the old view although rather dark.
BR Now.jpg

I've marked where I think it is on this modern view. Note the position relative to St Martins Church which can be seen in the old view although rather dark.
View attachment 173550
Looks like it's not worth visiting as I was thinking of doing a before and after photo. Can the Row Market be ruled out too and would you happen to know where it would be located now?

My other thought was the old wholesale markets, but I can see that too has been demolished and has something else rebuilt in its place.

It looks quite nice around there compared to how I knew it. Have a virtual look round on street view. Scroll and zoom with your mouse, double click to move forward along the street walk. There are probably other forum members who can advise better than me ... I have not been there since many years.

Last edited:
I think it is definitely where Old Mowhawk said, not the wholesale market. I remember buying really strong Brummie cheddar there in the 1970s

Back