• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Hill

I know a man doing some serious research and has been looking for some considerable time for photos of Soho Hill before they demolisehd the houses and built the Hockley Flyover. There is a house in particular he wishes to be able to see, very near the corner of Richmond Road. The library does not have any, but if anyone knows a man (or woman) who does, please can they be persuaded to post them on here? Shortie
hi ,i worked on the hockley flyover,in the 60s for rm douglas ltd ,,i was an apprentice bricklayer,,,,,,some very good men worked on it,,,regards john griffin,

the delelict buildings behind the bushes suffered an unexplained fire about 3 weeks ago which is hardly surprising so i doubt much is left now...taller white property to the right is said to once house matthew boultons game keeper..i have been watching it for many years now as it would be such a pity if it was demolished especially given the connection with boulton

lyn

hi ,i worked on the hockley flyover,in the 60s for rm douglas ltd ,,i was an apprentice bricklayer,,,,,,some very good men worked on it,,,regards john griffin,

Apologies if duplicates of earlier posts.
Palladium Hockley.jpgBuilding Hockley Flyover.jpg

Great Photographs, Allports used to be the agents our Landlord Used ( Mr Mansfield ) and where we had to pay the rent for the House we had in The Crescent and later South Rd, I think originally they were in Richmond Rd

Regarding posts re Cheffins Dentist. Only last week I was watching a home movie, taken by my dad, taken in the garden of the dentist in 1962.
It shows Sam & Barbara, my mom & dad and me (aged 7) and my brother (aged 1). It must have been a social visit as I look quite happy. It took me a long time to get over the fear of dentists after regularly visiting Mr Cheffins :)

Last edited:
Hi All
Just found this link .... My mother's cousin Barbara was the house keeper for a private dentist which I think was situated at No 131 Soho Hill ... I can remember the drying rail hanging from the ceiling and the dumb waiter in the rear kitchen/living area, the dentist surgery when no one was there , the work room for the making of dentures and all the other stuff ,the rear garden was beautiful,Her husband Sam was a amazing model builder and had a work room which I was fascinated with.One of his models used to be on display in the science museum Spent many happy Christmas parties in the 50's there ... also the RAFA club further down the road towards the city ... was a honorary member for a short time in the late 60's ... The school clinic oh! my god ... only went once had about 6 teeth removed when i would have been about 8yrs old ... never again ... when I came out Mom took me to the cafe on the corner of Villa Road and a man in there saw I was in some discomfort and bought me a MARS Bar as a treat !!!! ...the last thing I wanted... mind the thought was nice.
On not such a happy not I was posted to the top end of Villa Road/Soho Hill with other officer the night that the riots in Handsworth in 1985 that's one memory i don't really
want to remember!
Keep smiling
Regard
Rich
Hi Rich (MrPastry)
Regarding your posts re Cheffins Dentist. Only last week I was watching a home movie, taken by my dad, taken in the garden of the dentist in 1962.
It shows Sam & Barbara, my mom & dad and me (aged 7) and my brother (aged 1). It must have been a social visit as I look quite happy. It took me a long time to get over the fear of dentists after regularly visiting Mr Cheffins :)

Hi Rich (MrPastry)
Regarding your posts re Cheffins Dentist. Only last week I was watching a home movie, taken by my dad, taken in the garden of the dentist in 1962.
Welcone to the Forum.
You may not get a reply as "Mr pastry" has not been on the Forum since 2016.

had a little amble today...the 3 buildings on the left on st view now have diggers in place ready for demo ..these buildings have been empty for many many years and suffered a fire recently...happy to say that the old cottage type building to the right of those is still standing...although for how long is anyones guess..it is dated 1826...st view below and also my pics taken today

lyn

thumbnail.jpgcottage soho hill 1826.jpgsoho hill demo.jpgdemo soho hill.jpg

Last edited:
As I recall that was the original home of GEE'S Curry Patties, and one restaurant of Rusty Lee.
yes so i believe...not sure which one out of the 3 buildings to be demolished was rusty lees place but should not be difficult to find out

lyn

yes so i believe...not sure which one out of the 3 buildings to be demolished was rusty lees place but should not be difficult to find out

lyn
I think Rusty Lee's place was next door to the Beehive and then to the left Dennison's Watch Co.
Astoness very kindly sent photos in this thread

had a little amble today...the 3 buildings on the left on st view now have diggers in place ready for demo ..these buildings have been empty for many many years and suffered a fire recently...happy to say that the old cottage type building to the right of those is still standing...although for how long is anyones guess..it is dated 1826...st view below and also my pics taken today

lyn

View attachment 183420View attachment 183421View attachment 183422View attachment 183423
just a quick update on photo one showing the 1826 cottage...it was called soho hill cottage

lyn

sad to report but it was only a matter of time...dennisons watch company building up in flames this afternoon...i just hope the old buildings to the left are ok

In the Midlands today a site wanted for development goes up in flmes. Same day in Reading a building goes up in flames (second on development in a few months) before it is even complete

Thanks for the link @Astoness
I saw the news on the BBC website last night, I know the area but I couldn't picture in my head which building it was - getting to be a regular occurrence everywhere now sadly.

Edit...just looked at yesterday's article on the BBC website, the headline says....fire in a Lozells shop....which was misleading.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link @Astoness
I saw the news on the BBC website last night, I know the area but I couldn't picture in my head which building it was - getting to be a regular occurrence everywhere now sadly.

Edit...just looked at yesterday's article on the BBC website, the headline says....fire in a Lozells shop....which was misleading.
hi sparks yes i found that misleading had to fish around for the correct story before i posted :rolleyes: from memory there was massive plans for that large site but i think it was shelved

lyn

What's the building going up on the skyline? Looks like its at or near Snow Hill
alf do you mean the photo on post 321 if so it looks like a building in the city centre with the rotunda to the left but knowing the way the city demolishes so much whatever it was is most likely gone now..maybe someone can identify it for you

lyn

Yes! I meant photo 321. As you say, it's very difficult to get one's bearings after so many changes in the city centre. I would love to hear any suggestions! Alf

Back