• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith st..hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dated 1958..

mike if you see this pic the name of the factory looks like leonard gundle i wonder if you could have look to see what number smith st this was at..thank you mike..

Smith_Street_-_1958.jpg

these next 3 pics are all taken on the same corner of smith st and hockley st..

mike in pic 3 on the opposite corner there is a building with some letters showing..could this be a pub..looks like the word head maybe..

Smith_Street_-_Hockley_Street_Newtown.jpg

Smith_Street_-_Hockley_Street_Newtown_b.jpg

Smith_Street_-_Hockley_Street_Newtown_c.jpg

love em all stars..

yes topsy i thought it maybe a pub so ive asked mike if he can take a look and i would also like to know the number of the factory in the first pic i posted..could be close to where shorties rellies were with a bit of luck..

Brillliant pics Lyn - do you know what date they were taken? I ask because the first is brickwork, the next is render - which is the earlier picture? I suspect the rendered ones are the earlier picture. They are absoloutely great - the only one I have seen before was when the houses were empty and almost derelict. Cheers

sorry shortie no dates on those three..i would have thought that the one showing the original brickwork was the earliest pic..they would have put the rendering on at a later date i think..those tin signs would be worth a bob or two now..

lyn

Well Lyn, that was my first thought, but I am not so sure any more. When I saw photos of Smith Street in a state of semi-dereliction (got one somewhere on a disk) - just waiting to be demolished, the houses were all brick. I know rendering makes bricks spall, but I am sure the rendered ones are the earlier pictures. I am happy to be proved wrong if necessary..................

Lyn, my husband agrees with me - just look at the shop window, it's very old fashioned, I suspect those are late 1800's or very early 1900's. It does not really matter, they are just brilliant pics, so thanks for posting them.

Well Lyn, that was my first thought, but I am not so sure any more. When I saw photos of Smith Street in a state of semi-dereliction (got one somewhere on a disk) - just waiting to be demolished, the houses were all brick. I know rendering makes bricks spall, but I am sure the rendered ones are the earlier pictures. I am happy to be proved wrong if necessary..................

crikey shortie..fancy putting all the rendering on just to take it off again lol..mind you i wouldnt think every property in the street was rendered...i get the feeling the buildings like a lot round that area came in all shapes and sizes...i would be interested though if mike can help us find out if that was a pub on the opposite corner...

Well Lyn, it may be a different part of the street (probably was) in my picture - but the same people who put the rendering on would not have taken it off - I do admit it is usually the other way round, but when you look carefully at the rendered ones, the photo looks much older - just the general air of the place. It's only our thoughts and as I said before, we may be well wrong. Perhaps it fell off? Stranger things have happened..........

well the street certainly looks in a sorry state on post 1 shortie..still as you say its just good to have them..if anymore turn up i will post them for you..

It does Lyn, you are right. Thanks, I shall keep an eye open for more pics. Lower Tower Street might be nice too, if you see any of those.

always on the look out for lower tower st shortie..especially one of st nicholas church..

Lyn
41 & 42 Leonard Gundle Motor Co. Ltd. carrier cycle mfrs
The Queens Head 134 Hockley St. The shop on the other side at no 132 was Joseph Grimes in 1954. Both 132 and 134 disappear from Kellys between 1956 and 1962. I would agree that at first the shop with signs seems earlier than the others. Anyone got access to candidates in Council elections, as they were encouraging people to vote for Fell on the side of the shop. However Iam not sure now whether rendered houses may not be older. I have found another picture with signs taken at the same time. It is two pieces stuck together, but both have a Fell poster on them, so I'm pretty sure they must be comtemporary with the shop with signs of Lyn's. This is labelled early 1950s. On consideration, i can't see a shop post 1955 with a display in a normal window (as opposed to a display window) like there is in the rendered photos. From the top of the picture below, I reckon it was in a newspaper (Mail or Mercury) 16th something year 2000
Mike
hockley_st_smith_st__early_1950s.jpg

mike thats great info as usual...so it was the queens head pub then..must try and find a pic of that one for my collection..by the way the pic you posted is one of mine lol..its the one i was looking for and yes you are right it was out of a newspaper..one half of the pic was on one page and the other half on the other page so i had to put them together..

thank you mike...

Lyn, I reckon the rendered ones are the later photos,there's no way you would take rendering off to expose bricks in that condition.

morning john..thats what i thought..im on the hunt now for a pic of the queens head on the opposite corner..and here is me thinking i had got them all from around there lol..

Mike, looking at the latest picture of Smith Street/Hockley Street, it looks to me like it was rendered initially - just look at the stained brickwork and spalling all over the place - I used to work for a building surveyor and have seen plenty of spalled bricks, but none this bad, even on buildings much older, although these were probably not particularly well built I think. They must have been hell to live in - but that's someone who lives with central heating and cavity wall insulation saying that!

Hi Folks, I just checked the census for my Great Grandad Frank Taylor, who was living in Arthur Street in 1881 with his parents Albert and Mary Ann and by 1891 they have moved to Smith Street, so it is great to see the wonderful photos on this thread.

Just wondering if I can impose on you Mike, yet again to help me work out where they lived on the Street.
I have tried to sort it out but the number isnt actually showing in the 1890 or 1892 Kellys so I'm stuck.
The number is 88. It seems as if it should be by the junction with Hockley Street, but I can't be sure.
Any help will as always be gratefully received..

Also Franks occupation is recorded as "Rolling Mill at Rolls" Would anybody know anything about this please.

I cannot say that i am 100% sure, but think it probably is on the south east corner of the hockley st. smith st junction. the queens Arms Inn on the opposite corner is listed in hockley st, so i think 88 must be the other corner that side of smith St

Hi Mike, Thanks for your thoughts and for looking..it is a strange one. I will look at it again later today.

I cannot say that i am 100% sure, but think it probably is on the south east corner of the hockley st. smith st junction. the queens Arms Inn on the opposite corner is listed in hockley st, so i think 88 must be the other corner that side of smith St

hi mike i think its the queens head not arms...posted a pic of just the corner of it..pic 3 post 2..

easy to get mixed up with heads and arms lol..

lyn

Hi Lin
Another great photo. I had relatives living here, and my Mom was registerd from Smith St on
her wedding Cert in October 1945. It is strange looking at photo's of were your relatives lived,
looking at shops they prob went in most days. Wouldn't it be nice to time travel back in time, just to have a look
at our family's. Sorry getting carried away.
Regards Stars

Hi Astoness
I notice that #2 photo's 1 and 3 are the same photo only photo 1 is without the rendering.
I notice from The numbers mike put regarding 41 & 42 Leonard Gundle Motor Co Ltd. My relatives lived
at 5/38 which must have been close to the factory. I see an entry way on the photo, and i am wondering
if the house on the front would be 38, as i don't know which way the numbers run. Did they go up
in 2s or 1s. Perhaps when you get a moment Mike you could have a look for me.
Thanks Stars (Eric)

Yes Lyn you are correct. Sorry, got me arms and head in a twist.
Eric
the numbering was consecutive 1,2,3.......

Back