• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Showmen, Circus and Fairground Travellers Index

ELIZABETH1

master brummie
I recently came across this site and found some interesting background material about showmen etc.. - I originally thought one of my family were a gypsy - seems not now - looks more like they married into a show family and travelled with their family etc.. doing shows - it may be useful to some people who had such people in their family histories.

https://users.nwon.com/pauline/Travellers.html = British Fairground Ancestors = Showmen, Circus and Fairground Travellers Index

Hello, Liz 1
Just seen your note about travelling fairground folk. A few months ago I went through the 1841 census and was fascinated to see that a travelling fair was camped at the back of what I think became Smithfield Meat Market. All the family and friends were listed too of course.
Peter

I remember a set of postings on the Virtual Brum site about the houseing of an Elephant somewhere in that direction Peter possibly during the late 1800's I wonder is the circus folk had a permanant base in or around there?

Hiya Peter & Rod,

I found that site fascinating - cause someone had already posted on here about a Nanette Stocker who was a tiny lad who toured with some acts etc..  (Stocker is one of the names I am researching in my family tree) BUT then I also came across a family story where a couple got married and went off travelling - with what I was told were a gypsy family etc.. and somebody put a curse on the couple etc.. (wasn't very nice?? ha ha) - So now I am wondering if perhaps it wasn't simply that they were gypsy people - more likely to be a travelling act of some sort perhaps?  But certainly a thought worth my baring in mind for this couple etc.. and I shall research this line of thought. 

I never knew that these circuses were so old - or any of these travelling entertainment companies for that matter - amazing how they got to so many foreign places isn't it?

Some of the information I am coming across while doing my family tree is amazing and sites like the one I mentioned is a real eye opener regarding how old these trades and acts etc.. are - To think I thought circuses began with Billy Smarts and Chipperfields  ;D

Elizabeth if you want to put a article on the mainsite regarding the above we would be pleased to help. It sounds fascinating.

hi having just come across this site and having seen the amount of interest in travelling showmen i hope i can clear up some statements made, i am the owner/operator of one of only five fully functioning and working flea circuses left operating and i am still travelling with my circus, firstly we are not and never have been associated with nor are we related to what is commonly known as travellers :). my surname is phillips and my family have been in the circus and fairground tradition for many years and in the original posting i do know some of the peoples surnames that have been mentioned and they like me are still out there earning a crust as they say:rolleyes:. its not a lot of information but i hope it helps.
berny phillips (aka the illusionist)
oh and thanks for taking the time to read this post;)

thats what is good about the forum lots of helpful people who are willing to help with links and advice or just interest in general :)thank you:)

Elizabeth I have tried your link several times but it keeps saying this page cannot be displayed. I have an interest in fairground people and would love to look further into it. Jean.

Back