• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Severn Street Schools

G

gham

Do these names connect with anyone-they are pupils who moved with my mother, Doris Stanley, from Severn Street Junior School to Islington Council School Pigott Street in 1929?
Florence Ball
Elizabeth Illidge
Elsie Neale
Ivy Gould
Emily Davies
Della Garratley
My mother is soon to be 91 so the above would be a similar age. Florence Ball, Ivy Gould and Della Garratley were pupils she remembered when I mentioned their names to her-names recorded in the Schools Admissions Books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of this school complex is still standing and has been developed as apartments. It once played an important early part in education. The site dates back to 1809, opening as the Royal (or British) Lancastrian School. It was one of the UK's first non-denominational schools, which also pioneered the revolutionary movement by the Quakers to provide adult education from 1845. It was an early British School, evidence of which can be seen on the sign at the rear of the building.

Three purpose-built Victorian school buildings still exist, dating from 1809 to 1860 and an original townhouse. And it's heartwarming to see that the Italian Gothic facades have been nicely restored.

The original architects were Charles Edge (who completed Birmingham Town Hall), the Chamberlain & Martin partnership and Yeoville Thomason (who designed the Council House).

This Newman history link gives some interesting history of the school and contains some charming extracts from the school log.
https://www.newmanlocalhistory.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/history3-vol7.pdf

This is a potted history of the schools from the National Archives:

The (Royal) Lancasterian (Free) School, Severn Street, sometimes called Birmingham British School, opened in 1809, with accommodation for boys. Pupils had to attend a place of worship on Sunday, but until the Birmingham Infant Central School opened in 1826, this was the only unsectarian school in Birmingham. The school was rebuilt in 1851 to accommodate 500 boys, girls and infants. The Girls Lancasterian School in Ann Street closed on the opening of the Girls Department here. The Girls and Infants Departments, which had been independently managed were united to the Boys Department in 1866, and the school became known as the Severn Street British School. A new Infants Department was built on adjoining land in 1870, with the proceeds of the sale of the Birmingham Infant Central School. The school was transferred to Birmingham School Board in 1901 as Severn Street Board School. It was reorganised in 1926 into two departments for junior mixed and infant children. The numbers fell and the school closed in 1933.

Below is an 1895 medal commemorating 50 years of the first day adult school.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

In addition to the young people they also ran adult classes known as First Day Adult Schools, and these eventually expanded to other areas and ran classes in Northfield Institute, Friends Hall Farm St and the Mission Hall, Upper Highgate St. Also apparently in Balsall Heath at the junction of Clevedon road and Cox St West, as shown in the photo taken around 1970 by myself . I have not been able to find any other reference to this place. It is not mentioned in the small book published for the Jubilee of the First Day Schools in 1895, so I suspect it was after this date.

Corner Clevedon Road and Cox St west red.jpg

Thanks Mike. That's a great photo you took. It seems that the educational provision through Severn Street British School must have been constantly evolving, seeing the need and finding ways to offer education. For example this is how adult education came about at Severn Street:

The modern adult school movement (started in Nottingham in 1798) was picked up on by the Quaker, Joseph Sturge when electioneering in Nottingham in the 1840s. In October 1845 he established an adult Sunday school at Severn Street for boys aged 14+. But by 1846 the school was moved to early mornings and older men began attending. This idea then spread quickly across the country.

Viv.

My father was a pupil at Seven Street School, this is his leaving certificate.

Attachments

• Dads School leaving Certificate age 14, 1923_opt.jpg
    Dads School leaving Certificate age 14, 1923_opt.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 35
thanks for sharing that with us charlie..how lucky you are to have your dads leaving cert...

lyn

In addition to the young people they also ran adult classes known as First Day Adult Schools, and these eventually expanded to other areas and ran classes in Northfield Institute, Friends Hall Farm St and the Mission Hall, Upper Highgate St. Also apparently in Balsall Heath at the junction of Clevedon road and Cox St West, as shown in the photo taken around 1970 by myself . I have not been able to find any other reference to this place. It is not mentioned in the small book published for the Jubilee of the First Day Schools in 1895, so I suspect it was after this date.

View attachment 113096

There is a post from the Birmingham Library Iron Room concerning the 1895 Severn St. and Priory First Day schools Jubilee Exibition here...
https://theironroom.wordpress.com/2...st-day-schools-jubilee-exhibition/#more-12513

The teachers of the Severn Street Adult School with George Cadbury at Woodbrooke in 1890. “You boy on the end, sit up straight !” Viv.

FE6A5296-AF20-4BC3-A6B6-DF361FB6A22C.jpeg

Back