• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Oak family history and any back ground info needed

eddie marsh

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I recently discovered that my mother who died many years ago had a family from her previous marriage that I knew nothing about. She was born Amy Bourne in 1915 in Reservoir road, Selly Oak. She married George S Statham in 1933 and raised her first family on Bristol Road by Oak tree road where Sainsbury's now exists between 1934 and 1948. She also worked in Selly oak hospital in the 30's/40's and maybe the QE too. I am trying to build a picture of her life back then and would appreciate any info or photos from that area and time. And maybe someone out there knew her/her family?​

eddie
If you go to the search box at the head of the page, and click on advanced, then insert selly oak in th ebox there and set it to be in heading, then it brings up alot on selly oak, including links to a flickr page with old and new picrturesof selly oak
mike

Eddie, did amy Bourne have any brothers? My sister married a Bourne, the family eventually settled in Northfield, although I think some sons were born in Ladywood. Just wondering if there was a link.

Shortie

Eddie, did amy Bourne have any brothers? My sister married a Bourne, the family eventually settled in Northfield, although I think some sons were born in Ladywood. Just wondering if there was a link.

Shortie
Hi Shortie, I'm not 100% sure, but I have found a Harold Bourne 1913 and a Leslie Bourne 1920. There are also two sisters Ivy and Minnie.

Mike, thanks for the info, I had a quick look yesterday, lots to read, i'll work my way through. I think my mother lived close to the location of the old oak tree with her first family. I have spoken to members of her first family, (all in their late 60's now) and they have mentioned the Oak Pub, Police station and chippy. They think they lived at 240 Bristol Rd. where sainsbury's now stands. My mother left her first husband and family in about 1948 for another man who subsequently died. She then met my father about 1958 in lodgings in Cannon Hill Rd. I know nothing of her life between 1948 and 1958, but it can't have been nice living in bed-sit land for a woman alone in the 1950's.

Hi Eddie

The one I was thinking of is Arthur Alexander, known as Alex. He died a couple of years ago, at the age of about 94. He was on the Burma Railway. I don't know any more about the family - my sister lives in the US so I don't hear much about the Bourne side and have not even thought to ask her. If you do find this one, you know where to come!

Shortie

Sydney George amd Amy Statham are on the electoral rolls in 1939 , 1945 and 1950 at 803 Bristol Road. In 1935 Annie (probably a misprint) , Sydney George and John Edward statham are at Brighton cottages, Canal side , Stonehouse Lane. Sydney George Statham is still at 803 Bristol road in 1955. There is an Amy J. Statham at 245 Tile Cross Road in 1955 with Reginald J and Joseph Statham in 1955
Mike

Sydney George amd Amy Statham are on the electoral rolls in 1939 , 1945 and 1950 at 803 Bristol Road. In 1935 Annie (probably a misprint) , Sydney George and John Edward statham are at Brighton cottages, Canal side , Stonehouse Lane. Sydney George Statham is still at 803 Bristol road in 1955. There is an Amy J. Statham at 245 Tile Cross Road in 1955 with Reginald J and Joseph Statham in 1955
Mike
Hi Mike, although he is called George S Statham on their marriage cert, he was known as Sid to everyone. So this must be him. One of my new half sisters also mentioned someone living by the canal, I think John Edward may be Sid's farther? My mother married Sid in 1934 and maybe they originally lived with his father before moving to Bristol Rd. Mom didn't have a middle name so I think Amy J is a red herring. As I said before, she left her family in 1948 for another man who subsequently died. She then met my father in lodgings in Cannon Hill Rd in about 1958. Could you check for Amy Statham/Bourne in Cannon Hill Rd between those years please. I would love to find any clues to who she left her family for and what happened.

Mike, Appreciate your help. I guess from your last reply that you found nothing for Amy Bourne/Statham anywhere else inc Cannon Hill rd up till 1955? One more name I'm interested in is George Henry Bourne, married to Amy Snook. These are my mothers parents. My mothers birth cert has 13 reservoir rd, Selly Oak as their address, so could you check for any records around 1915 please. Is it possible to search for him before and after that date. Not sure of what years are covered?
Regards Eddie

Eddie
The years available onlime are 1912, 1918 (absent voters), 1920, 1922,1925,1927,1930,1935,1929,1945,1950,1955. The people listed are those entitled to vote at the time (with some slight additions due to owning businesses in early years). Therefore women are not, in general, listed in 1912, the 1918 list is almost entirely servicemen, and until 1928 unmarried women under 30 were not listed. .Other lists are available at local libraries.
From the above you will see that Amy Bourne (the younger) would not have been listed because of her age. However
1912 George Bourne 13 Reservoir road
1920-25 Amy & George Henry Bourne , 13 Reservoir road,.
1927 George Henry (the elder), George Henry, and Laura Bourne, 13 Reservoir road
1930 George Henry, and Laura Bourne, 13 Reservoir road
There is also, but may not be connected:
1930 Florence May Johnson & George & Maud Blesser & Amy Bourne, 101 Broad st
1930 Charles, Amy, Annie & William Bourne , 3 Court 19 Clark St.
Mike

Mikejee can you possibly tell me the names of the voter list for 1955 at 21 Hasbury Road Bartly Green?
regards
paul

Mike, Thanks for that. I am trying to make some sense of this information. I think George Henry and Amy senior have lived here at least from 1912, my mother was born there in 1915. My mom always said her mother died when she was young and she had to help bring the rest of the family up, as Amy senior has dissappeared from the records by 1927 I assume she died between 1925 and 1927, (mom would have been 12). I also think George Henry the elder and Laura are George Henry's parents? Maybe drafted in to help out? The house is still there today. Its only a small end of terrace, I don't know how they managed for space! Does that make sense to you? I will re-invest in Ancestry.com to try and confirm this now I have a few more clues.

is this your family in 1911 living 1 back 28 ingleby st. bham

george henry bourne 31 cycle trade turner b. bham
amy bourne 27 b.bham
george henry bourne 7
frederick alfred bourne 5
arthur william bourne 3
reginald bourne 2 mths. all b. bham

george and amy had been married 9 yrs and just had the 4 children

Mike, sorry to back track, but ref your info-Brighton cottages, Canal side , Stonehouse Lane in 1934. I can't find this address in google maps. I have searched every combination, but I think it may have been at Hopwood, because there is a Stonehouse Lane there although it is not quite on the canal side and no mention of Brighton Cottages. However my half brother Edwin told me he ran away from home at 9 years of age to his grandfathers farm somewhere between Bromsgrove and Longbridge. Checking google reveals a farm on Stonehouse lane. Can you shed any further light on this address?

Shara, Wow it is possible. The right parent names and it stacks up. Amy senior would have been married at 18, first son at 20 followed by another birth at 22,24,27 and then my mother at 31, (1915). Thats great info, thanks. Amy Bourne seniors maiden name was Snook, I have a birth record for a Harold Bourne with this motthers maiden name too, born 1913, which also fills a gap nicely. There is an Ivy Bourne too born 1910, but I can't confirm mothers maiden name, however I do remember visiting an aunty Ivy as a kid. Seems they liked big families in those days! No TV I guess? Thanks for your help. Any other info would be much appreciated. Forgot about Minnie.L. Bourne, 1918 (maiden name Snock?) and Leslie Bourne 1920, (maiden name Snook). 8 children in all possibly.

Last edited:
Eddie
Can’t find the actual cottages for certain on a map, but can say that it was the Stonehouse lane which leeds from Stonehouse hill to Clapgate lane in California (though I don’t think California is used much nowadays). The area on the 1921 map is below, The Brighton Cottages occur on the census (coming from the west on the north side, in the order no 129, then Stonehouse Farm (on the map), Stonehouse cottages, Weoley Castle Farm (on the bottom right but the word farm is partly obliterated) then Brighton cottages. Not sure what they refer to, but am pretty sure that they do not exist now as the area looks completely different at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=stonehouse+lane+quinton+birmingham&sll=52.369547,-1.942778&sspn=0.012341,0.037894&g=stonehouse+lane+northfield+birmingham&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stonehouse+Ln,+Birmingham+B32+3,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.443455,-1.971188&spn=0.00616,0.01884&t=h&z=16 , where you can see the castle on the map just above Alwold road.
mike

map_1921_showing_area_of_brighton_cottages2C_stonehouse_lane.JPG

Mike, thanks again. Looking at the 1921 map, I reckon the line running left to right from just above The Brick and Tile Works to the castle is a canal that fed the old moat. Remember the ref to "Canal side". I think the cottages were maybe on the south side of the canal. What do you think?

Sorry eddie, i should have said. The canal was the dudley no 2 canal, which connected Selly oak to Dudley. It disappeared into the Lapall tunnel just to the west of here (that is why it seeems to end. The tunnel collapsed in 1917, and the canal was abandoned. Most is now filled in I understand. The castle was there long before the canal, so i don't think it fed the moat. I agree that canalside refers to the canal, but am not sure exactly where the cottages would have been,
mike

Hi Shortie, After some investigation it looks like my mother had more brothers. I still need to do more digging to verify this, but it looks like there is an Arthur William Bourne, born 1908. At first I dissmissed this, but then you had already mentioned ladywood and yes they did live in ladywood at 28 Ingleby St. I am going to search the births and marriages to check further. What is your sisters name and any more info would be very interseting. Do you know when they married?

Well I have just looked on Ancestry. He was born in 1913, Arthur A Bourne (that's where the Alex came from I assume) and his mother's maiden name was Plackett. He married a lady called Nancy circa 1940 and had two sons, Anthony and Trevor, and a daughter, Sandra. Trevor married my sister, Lynn Hemms in 1984. I know Alex went to Osler Street School. Nancy is still alive and living in a home in Romsley, bright as a button, but unable to walk.

I had thought that the family might be slightly related, seeing as they were in the same area and Bourne is not a particularly common name.

If you find a link, I will be happy to pass my sister's details to you.

Shortie

I thought that was the case, Eddie, but it may be another line in the family tree, you never know. If you do find one, I can pass on details at any time.

Shortie

Would you know where the Salvation Army hall in Alwold Road might have been?

Back