• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Well farmerdave, nice PC and you've also solved a mystery. I was fairly certain that the photo below is of a cricket team at Aston Hall but the present windows are very different so when I saw your postcard it confirmed the location. Thanks!

Attachments

• Aston.jpg
    Aston.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 49
held in honour of Joseph Chamberlain's 70th birthday.

So the date was 8 July 1906 (or very close to it),

a few post cards from me...sorry if some have been posted before...some of them demonstrate just how many fine buildings we have lost...

lyn

img226.jpg img228.jpg img231.jpg img232.jpg img233.jpg img234.jpg

Lyn,

A nice reminder, but I am afraid that many that were still standing when I left Birmingham in 1961 are rapidly becoming a distant memory. I note the waxworks next to the Central Hotel in the Bull Ring - that building was one that we lost in WW2 I presume? I can't recall being taken into the Bull Ring until the end of the war when I was 8 years old. My actual memories of the war period were restricted to Aston & Sparkhill. I must have been taken through the centre to get between the two, but my only memory of the central area was going past Perry Pens in Lancaster Street on the number 6 tram as my father and numerous maternal relatives worked there.

Maurice

hi maurice post 1746 is the saddest i think.what a splendid sight chamerlain square once was but .everything you see in that one has gone and was nothing to do with the war...the josiah mason college was a splendid building as was the original library..king charles grammar school..queens hotel..the exchange building..snow hill station gone..not to mention the woodman pub on easy row.the list is endless.....such a shame that visitors to this city are not able to look up and admire them... not much left now to admire...im afraid that bcc have destroyed our city far more than hitler ever did and of course will continue to do so until all we have left are photographs of a city centre i was once proud of..just to add that yes i know we must have progress such as road widenings etc but most of our lost buildings were demolished just to rebuild other buildings on which less than 45 years later have also been demolished..just does not make sense to me

lyn

Last edited:
Good morning Lyn,

I think that like most things it is to do with making money, and that's takes preference over anything else. I spent a lot of time in the original library and generally borrowed six books of sheet music every week - mainly classical at that time - to improve my sight reading and general piano technique. I also was amazed to find an original trade directory from the late 1700s on open shelves and did actually borrow it. I wonder how much stuff got stolen from those days!

Maurice

maurice i suspect quite a lot of valuable books went walkies in those days...having said that in recent years the library that has just been demolished lost many many old photos..they are a bit more strict these days counting out and in the archives that we view but a bit late in the day for archive material that is now lost...agree with you about the money making aspect...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Thanks again for lovely pics. Like Maurice I also left Bum on 1961 and like you regret how the BCC have torn the heart out of the city and suburbs.
At one time in the late 50's I was doing some classes in the Old University building and thought what a fire trap it was as all the floors and interior divisions were wooden and we were all smoking in those days.
It's the same here, I was looking through a book 'Lost Melbourne' only last night and was horrified at how many of the buildings have gone since the 60's.
As Maurice says it's not just to make improvements but to make a bit of money.
Just realized what a hypocrite I am as we settled today on the sale of our investment house which is to be replaced by apartments. In our defense we have been able to share the purchase of a older house (in good condition for our son and his ladyfriend ).
What goes up must come down eh !
Cheer Tim

Tim,

Private housing is not often really worth saving, unless it is quite old and was inhabited by famous people, so I think you're off the hook there. We're talking about public buildings, of some architectural worth, quite often paid for by some private benefactor not the local Council, though the Council may have somehow acquired ownership over the years. Rarely is some decent thought given to the replacement, just a quick investigation by the bean-counters to see if any money can be made. I have to admit to becoming more cynical by the day, but those responsible for these decisions rarely give me incentive to think otherwise!

Maurice

I have several postcard albums with cards in from WW1. They belonged to my Mom's sister. Many of them are sets of rather maudlin cards such as 'Little Jim', 'What did you do in the war Daddy?', 'Fight the Good Fight' and 'Somewhere in France, Mother'. Others were sent as Birthday cards and there are quite a few funny ones. However, back to the point, there are some Birmingham ones too so I have scanned them and will post a few at a time. University and Cannon Hill Park first. I think 12 and 15 are the same and one has been coloured. The clock has the same time! I have flipped them before posting but they keep reverting so perhaps someone could 'right' them for me please.

Attachments

• PC0012.jpg
    PC0012.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 56
  • PC0014.jpg
    PC0014.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 55
  • PC0015.jpg
    PC0015.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 52
  • PC0016.jpg
    PC0016.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PC0017.jpg
    PC0017.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 52
It doesn't seem possible to flip these apparently as they keep reverting. I will re-scan them and start again.

Meanwhile, these are vertical ones which should be OK. They are part of a set of 6 and I've already posted them some time ago on another thread. I've lightened them too as they are much too dark to see any detail otherwise.

Attachments

• PC0001.jpg
    PC0001.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PC0002.jpg
    PC0002.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 46
  • PC0003.jpg
    PC0003.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PC0004.jpg
    PC0004.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 45
Part 2 of Birmingham by Night re-scanned. I like the one of Old Square. I think it must be Kings Hall at the back, is it?
I like these too Janice.

Attachments

• PC20004.jpg
    PC20004.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 36
  • PC20005.jpg
    PC20005.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 37
Here's the first lot again, I realised when I re-scanned them that the coloured one of the University has the caption 'Birmingham University 1st Southern Military Hospital'. Birmingham University and Cannon Hill Park.

Attachments

• PC0016.jpg
    PC0016.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PC20001.jpg
    PC20001.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 33
  • PC20002.jpg
    PC20002.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 33
  • PC20003.jpg
    PC20003.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 32
  • PC20007.jpg
    PC20007.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 32
Two from Aston, I'm not sure why you'd want a picture of the gravestone but someone might know. Plus one of Aston Hall. It has '1956' in the left bottom corner but I think this must be a serial number as it certainly before that.

Attachments

• PC0009.jpg
    PC0009.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 45
  • PC20008.jpg
    PC20008.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 47
And lastly a hand coloured one of High Street, plus the one of Castle Bromwich

Attachments

• PC20009.jpg
    PC20009.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 74
  • PC20006.jpg
    PC20006.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 74
Two from Aston, I'm not sure why you'd want a picture of the gravestone but someone might know. Plus one of Aston Hall. It has '1956' in the left bottom corner but I think this must be a serial number as it certainly before that.
The grave is that of Adolphus F A Higgison (or Higginson) but I can't find if it is significant. He is on the 1891 census as a retired commercial traveller (retired at the age of 40).
Just found out his Father (Henry) was a noted Primitive Methodist Minister.

Now for Erdington and Castle Bromwich:
Old postcards give the flavour of an age in the clothes the peple are wearing, the cars (often quite hard to actually indentify), the public transport ( apart from 842 & 843, Birmingham trams looked the same for 20 years, but the buses changed drastically over a very short period of time), but what is fascinating about the second of these two postcards is that there is a picture of a bus on route 17, which was a cross city route that ran from Erdington to the Maypole and such pictures are few and far between particularly with the type of bus in the picture. With regard to your other postcards, take the maudlin WW1 ones to a dealer and get them valued, there could be a gem in there,, any of thePCCollectors on the BHF will give you further advice.
Bob

Not sure if this one has been on before. Gravelly Lane, Erdington. It really hasn't changed that much since 1911, buildings have been modernised but the shops are still there. Same sort of layout except there are a few more cars.

Oh - and no horse.

Attachments

• 1911-GravellyLane-300.jpg
    1911-GravellyLane-300.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi Ladypenelope
nice pictures you have been putting up for us
now here is one of mine old pictures
Dated july 13 1939 its an evening view taken at 11, 30 pm in New street birmingham
And its was black out i hour later restrictions which i have accidently forgot to include

Attachments

• scanimage5.jpg
    scanimage5.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 55
I hope that this has not been posted before (89 pages is a lot to look through); Reconstruction of Aston Bridge, Sunday March 25th 1906:
Aston Bridge 1906 Front.jpg

Steve

$_1.jpg
Forgive me if this has been posted before. It is one of a set of fictional images on post cards.

Back