• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Schools in Aston and Witton 1911 - 1922

Walsallie

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone help me in suggesting schools my mother, Beatrice May Wykes, who used to live in Nelson Road, Witton, would have gone to please ?

Hi Walsallie:

Could have been Albert Road School which is not far from Nelson Road. Several of my family members attended there at that time period.
My family lived in Witton in Wyreley Road and it was quite a walk for them. My Mother also lived at Witton and she attended Deykin Avenue school
There were/are other schools in the area Canterbury Road School and Birchfield Road School. There may be others but the above are the ones that come to mind for that area.

Hi Walsallie:

Could have been Albert Road School which is not far from Nelson Road. Several of my family members attended there at that time period.
My family lived in Witton in Wyreley Road and it was quite a walk for them. My Mother also lived at Witton and she attended Deykin Avenue school
There were/are other schools in the area Canterbury Road School and Birchfield Road School. There may be others but the above are the ones that come to mind for that area.

Thank you very much for prompt reply - Albert Road rings a bell. How I wish all this information had been written down at the time !

My Dad born 1911 went to Albert Road School he lived in Bevington Road. I still have his drawing books from the school.

Nelson Road children certainly attended Canterbury Road School in my day i.e. 1940's. Regards. willey

Do not forget Vicarage Rd school, both infants (me in 1935) and the Girls, my late Wife's School 1933 till 1942

the school that my family went to was station road that was later called yew tree road but i'm sure i had afriend who lived in nelson road that was late forties early fifties j h

Thank you johnnyharris - you have hit the jackpot. It was Station Road. Memory reawakened thanks to you. Regards Christine

Back