• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

salvation army

Re: hockley Salvation Army
Only just come across this and your reference to the Farmers at Hockley . I knew them in 1957/1958 whilst a soldier there. I left to go into the training college in August 1958, and would love to hear of any of them. My memory is not too good about it all though.

Neville Johnson

Hi Neville,

This is an oldish thread and sadly most of the FARMERs have passed away, with the exception of Graham (Jim & Nellie's son). When I last heard, he was still living in Cannock. I knew Nellie from when she was the tea lady at Lucas (Great King Street), before I married into the family in 1962. Bandmaster Cecil FARMER died way back in 1969, but at least one of his children is alive & living in the Dewsbury area of Yorkshire. I've been living in Crete since 2005 so I don't get to hear much these days.

Maurice

ASTON_SONGSTERS5B25D.JPG
displayimage.php
I may have posted this before ? THE ASTON SONGSTERS , 1st &; 2nd from the left 2nd row My Aunt Edith Lamb & My Mom Doris Jenney. 4th from the left My Aunt Hilda Matthews.

Last edited:
Hi Topsy,

I've only just picked up on your post #51. My late father-in-law, Sidney Dorman, is on the right of the last photograph shown wearing glasses and playing tenor horn. And here, courtesy of SAWiki, are the Nursery Road premises today, now used as a charity shop.

Maurice

Birmingham_Hockley_Salvation_Army.jpg

OLD END SNOW 22.1.13 014.JPGhi maurice...here is the sally army taken in january..back to a place of worship and looking a lot tidier..tree that we used to climb as kids still there to the left..

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn,

So the S.A. have sold it. With a name like that I would expect a cowboy to come galloping by, but at least it's better than another mosque! Thanks for posting that Lyn.

Maurice

Haven,t been down that way for a while but it is nice to see it tidied up as in Lyns photo. As kids we looked forward to the Salvation Army playing on Sunday in our Street. They always stood around the lampost a litte way down from where we lived .

i agree with your sentiments maurice...

hi topsy i have fond memories of going to that sally army every sunday afternoon..one of the days if i see it open i may take a peep inside to see how it has been changed...

lyn

I have posted this picture on a different thread in the past.Also some very interesting info on Rev George Brown and his family.moss

Attachments

• Lozells Salvation Army Hall.1.jpg
    Lozells Salvation Army Hall.1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Lozells Salvation Army Hall..jpg
    Lozells Salvation Army Hall..jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 33
hi ya moss if you read back on this thread we have debated and researched the info next to that pic of the sally army and found out through the census that the mc donald family lived at nursery terrace in erdington not the one in nursery road...a most missleading article im afraid..

lyn

Sorry Lyn,i did not read the earlier posts.It goes to show,you cannot believe everything that you read.I can stop telling that story now.Moss

Sorry Lyn,i did not read the earlier posts.It goes to show,you cannot believe everything that you read.I can stop telling that story now.Moss

moss imagine my disapointment to find out that i didnt live in the same neck o the woods as those famous people and our dad used to clean the windows of the nursery terrace that was opposite the sally army in nursery road so i was gutted to find out it was the nursery terrace in erdington lol.

lyn

Last edited:
My mom lived in Claybrook st 1916 to 1939 and she tod me she briefly joined the Salavation Army can anyone tell me which branch she would probably have joined.

moss i have found some more info over the weekend to suggest that the story could be correct...when i first posted it i was only just starting to learn about ancestry etc and now realise that the nursery terrace we know that became nursury road in later years did in fact at one time come under the district of erdington..see post 47 giving the 1851 census ...i have to do some more research but will get back asap

lyn

Hi Lyn, I look forward to hearing what you find out as it will be very interesting if true. Moss

moss it is true and i now realise what threw us...dont have time now as the footie is on but i will explain all in detail tomorrow

lyn

hi moss in that article post 60 it says the rev george browne when in fact his name was george browne macdonald(the name macdonald was omited from the article)..he is on the 1851 census as george B macdonald wesleyan minister living at nursery terrace with his wife and children see post 47..in the article it says he lived at no 5 nursery terrace but i think that is wrong as i have recently found a story in an old brum mag dated 2002 written by a man who was aged ten in 1936 who lived at no 9 nursery terrace he writes..

as a ten year old in 1936 i lived at no 9 nursery terrace...a very large 4 storey house with stables..the previous tenents at the turn of century had 4 daughters all of who married people of note and position..one day a lady came to the house..she was short..heafty..tweedy with the name of miss bullock..she asked my mother permission to sketch the house which was given...we were later told the sketch was on display at the then tea rooms in the shop opposite the bowling green on handsworth park grove lane entrance..i and others regret a copy was not made of the sketch and alas the tea room no longer exists and all the drawings in the room removed..were they moved to other premises and preserved...i would dearly love to know if they were..

T DUDDY BARTLEY GREEN

the 4 daughters were

louisa who was the mother of sir stanley baldwin PM
alice was rudyard kiplings mother
georgina married sir edward burne jones painter
agnes married sir edward poynter prof of fine arts university college london

thanks to mike for this map showing no 9 which certainly looks to be a very large building...i just cant remember seeing this house when i lived there but i moved there in 1958 aged 5 so i will do some more research on when it was demolished..i do have lots of old black and white photos of nursery road as it is called now but i dont think i have any of that end but will check...and what did happen to that sketch of the house?? more research i think..also thanks to mike for the 1855 directory which shows another clergy living in the house after the macdonalds left...so there we go moss it is all true...well fancy that lol...just a pity the house no longer exists as i cant think of a better building to have a they lived here blue plaque on it...

Attachments

• nursery road no 9 1955 map.jpg
    nursery road no 9 1955 map.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 18
  • nursery terrace po directory 1855.jpg
    nursery terrace po directory 1855.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have been reading through old threads and i am a bit confused with this one and the debate as to where George B MacDonald and family lived.

Correct me if I have got it wrong but if it is the conclusion that George MacDonald lived in Nursery Terrace,Erdington in 1851 it is incorrect.

Whilst it may come under the broader area of Erdington at that time the Nursery Terrace he lived in came under Aston Manor as the original census copy shows
and if you walk back from his dwelling (in the footsteps of the enumerator)you come to Hunter Lane (now Hunter Road) and if you walk the census route on from his dwelling you come to Brougham Street both of which are in B19.

hi alberta that is the correct 1851 census.. its just that.there was no nursery terrace in the erdington as we know it today..that is where i make an error... as you said if you walk the walk you come to hunters lane (now hunters road) but if you go forward 3 pages on the 1851 you will come to hockley brewery which was just before the junction of villa st where i lived...i also have rellies on the 1861 in villa st and the census says district of aston sub district of erdington which is what it came under back then and that was what was confusing me when we first started to check the macdonald family out and it does not take much to confuse me lol..

just to confirm things here is a map showing hockley brewery in nursery terrace with the crown pub at the junction with villa st one our dads favourite watering holes..i have many photos of nursery road (nursery terrace as was) but none showing the macdonalds house..hoping to put that right soon when my next load of nursery road photos are delivered to me...fingers crossed..

Attachments

• hockley brewery 1889.jpg
    hockley brewery 1889.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
as promised this is the house where i think the macdonald family lived...right on my door step (although over a 100 years before i lived near it) and i never knew the historical side of it until recently...just in case anyone is wondering what the building is on the right that is H SAMUELS in hunters road...

i wonder if those who have posted photos on this thread would kindley repost them please if possible as we lost them when the forum was hacked

many thanks folks

lyn

Attachments

• Nursery Road - No 7-9 - Hockley - 27-2-1968.jpg
    Nursery Road - No 7-9 - Hockley - 27-2-1968.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back