• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

roshven avenue

nffan

knowlegable brummie
I'm looking for the location of roshven avenue balsall heath.
I've found roshven road but presume roshven avenue no longer exists.
From the 1901 census it appears it was off roshven road.
I imagine it was the same as kensington avenue which is still there(a small terrace off roshven road)
I have looked at the 1889 town map but the houses appear not to be built yet.
Thanks.

Hi nffan

Yes Roshven Avenue was off Roshven Rd, but for some reason the Council decided to demolish this one out of several terraces on Roshven Rd. It was where I have marked with a red "X" on the map,

Attachments

• Roshven Rd.JPG
    Roshven Rd.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Phil.
That was where i guessed it was.
My nan lived there with here family in 1901.

hi phil
am i correct in saying tauton rd runs parrell with brighton rd which is crossing the ladypool rd
and on the corner of roshi ; rd was a little corner tea shop way back in the fifties or the very early sixty period as you say it was only a litle side rd
because this morning thats where i thoought it was best wishes Astonian;;

Alan

You are partially correct, after Brighton Rd meets Ladypool Rd it becomes Taunton Rd. Roshven runs off Taunton Rd to Clifton Rd and is perpendicular to Ladypool Rd. Yes there was a café on the corner at number 24 Taunton Rd in the 60's and previous to being a café it had been other types of shops.

Interestingly when the chip shop next door became a café, the two café did business alongside each other for a couple of years. Eventually though the original café became a chip shop as it remains today.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Taunton Rd.jpg
    Sparkbrook Taunton Rd.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Balsall Heath Taunton Rd - Roshven Rd.JPG
    Balsall Heath Taunton Rd - Roshven Rd.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 11
Back