• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose Pagett born 1880 birmingham

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
posting this for member paul...if anyone can help that would be great...here is pauls info

this is the same great gran who lived on Brearley St. She's rarely at the same address twice and has been a total nightmare to research. Regarding the 1911 census, I'm not sure but relatively confident I've found her in the B'ham Workhouse, she was born there in 1880 and appears to be there in 1901 too. She had 3 or 4 sons, all born in the workhouse infirmary, none had a named father. She seems to have lived at various addresses in Hockley, Ladywood and Smethwick.

I'm not sure what's wanted because it seems straightforward.

Rosanna Pagett reg. 1880 West Brom, youngest daughter of James Pagett and Phoebe Winwood. On Brearley St in 1891 and Berners St in 1881. A number of siblings - Rebecca, Clara, Mary, James and Richard at least

mark paul seems to think he found rose pagett on the 1911 in the workhouse this one says born 1882 but i have found another rose pagett on the 1911 born abt 1881 visitor at albion occupation is cashier so at the min i do not know which one if either is correct

lyn

I can see the Rose Pagett in the workhouse and possibly her daughter, Ellen. Her mother, Phoebe, is also in the workhouse.

This is the one on Brearley St in 1891.

I can see the Rose Pagett in the workhouse and possibly her daughter, Ellen. Her mother, Phoebe, is also in the workhouse.

This is the one on Brearley St in 1891.
thanks mark...that seems to be the correct rose then in the workhouse

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
mark paul seems to think he found rose pagett on the 1911 in the workhouse this one says born 1882 but i have found another rose pagett on the 1911 born abt 1881 visitor at albion occupation is cashier so at the min i do not know which one if either is correct

lyn
Lyn - the one on Albion St says born Birmingham but the one in the workhouse says born West Bromwich and that ties in with th info on the 1891.

1881 census with parents James and Phoebe plus siblings Rebecca, Clara, Mary, James, Richard and John. She is down as Rosanna. Address hard to read but looks like 5 Berners St
1700676371029.png
Using the page before their entry it looks clearer
1700676461209.png

James seems to die in 1894 aged 71. His age on the 1891 census is, I think, transcrbed wrongly. It is down as 76 but more likely should be 70. Likely buried at Witton.

James seems to die in 1894 aged 71. His age on the 1891 census is, I think, transcrbed wrongly. It is down as 76 but more likely should be 70. Likely buried at Witton.
great jan that ties in with his wife phoebe being down as a widow on the 1911...very sad in those days with phoebe having no husband the workhouse was the only option left

lyn

1881 census with parents James and Phoebe plus siblings Rebecca, Clara, Mary, James, Richard and Joh
1901:
Rebecca is married as is Clara
Mary (known as Polle) is married and brother John is living with her and her husband
James is married and Richard is living with him.
Rose is with her Mother in the workhouse.

info from paul from another thread re rose born in the workhouse it really is so very sad

she was born there in 1880 and appears to be there in 1901 too. She had 3 or 4 sons, all born in the workhouse infirmary, none had a named father. She seems to have lived at various addresses in Hockley, Ladywood and Smethwick.

Don't forget the poor often used the workhouse infirmary like we would use a hospital.
She is with her son on 1901 census I assume. Under her name is Leonard aged 1
1700678739756.png
Leonard dies later the same year.

Thanks all, you've manged to find out overnight what took me about 18 months! Originally I only posted because I was looking into where she lived. What you have all detailed above is what I've got regarding her early life. Due to her going by Rose, Rosie, Roseanna and her ages not always marrying up, I was never entirely sure I was looking at the correct info, especially the workhouse details as they're somewhat sparse.

In summary I have this:
ROSE PAGETT was born on 27th April 1880 at the Union Workhouse, West Bromwich (I suspect this was actually the Birmingham workhouse) to Phoebe Pagett nee Winwood and James Pagett, a builders labourer. Rose’s name was given as Rosanna and her mother’s address was given as the workhouse.
The 1881 census shows that the family were now living at 5 Berners Street, Birmingham.
The 1891 census shows that the family were living at House 3, Court 29, Brearley Street, Birmingham.
She appears to be in the B'ham workhouse in 1901, aged 21. No occupation or birthplace given. She had a one year old son who died later in the year. I have his birth certificate but it adds no more details. As noted above, her mother Phoebe was also an inmate.
In 1911 she appears to still be in the workhouse, aged 29 which doesn't quite add up, and is listed as a laundress having been born in West Bromwich.
In Jan 1914 she gave birth to Frederick Pagett (my grandfather) at 99 Dudley Rd (I believe this is the workhouse infirmary), no named father. Her occupation is factory worker.
In Mar 1914 at Fred's baptism, she's living at 1/2 Brass Street and she lists the father as being called Frederick which I suspect is a lie.
In April 1918 she had a boy named Albert Edwin at 1 Western Road (again I believe this is the workhouse infirmary), no named father. Her address is 23 Willis or Wills St, Smethwick and her occupation is laundress. No record of baptism.
At some point she had another son called Walter (my mum told me this) but I can't find record of his birth or baptism.
I can't find Rose, Fred, Albert or Walter on the 1921 census.
After this is where it gets very complicated. At some point she became known as Price, sometimes Rose Ethell Price. I can't find record of her marrying. Freds Army service record (he joined up in Jan 1935) lists Rose as his next of kin, the details being Mrs Rose Price, 6 Washington St, Ladywood Birmingham. However, on another page on the service record, her surname and address as Price at Washington St are crossed out. Her details are now Mrs Rose Ethell Barrett, 4/221 or 4/421 New John St West, Hockley Birmingham (see later). I did find a electoral rolls from the early 1930's showing a James Thomas Price and Rose Price living at 6 Washington St, Ladywood. One of them also shows an Alice Price to be present.
In April 1938 she marries George Barrett at the Register Office in B'ham. She listed as Rosannah Price, a 55 year old widow with no given occupation living at 177B Harvington Road, Weoley Castle.
The 1939 register shows Rose/Rosanna (a laundry hand) and George to be living at 177B Harvington Road, Weoley Castle/Northfield.
On the 1947 electoral roll, George and Rosanna are at 4 bk 221.
In 1955 she was widowed and living at 5 bk 58 New John St West.
Rose Anne Barrett died in December 1967 aged 87 in the care home at Brookvale Road, Erdington.

I appreciate that looks like I've got most of her life covered but it's the era from 1914 up to 1938 that's a real struggle to clarify. According to my mum, Rose was not a very pleasant woman. Her Dad didn't like George Barrett either and called him Old Man Barrett!

I'm not sure what's wanted because it seems straightforward.

Rosanna Pagett reg. 1880 West Brom, youngest daughter of James Pagett and Phoebe Winwood. On Brearley St in 1891 and Berners St in 1881. A number of siblings - Rebecca, Clara, Mary, James and Richard at least
Finding this stuff is never straightforward for me!

Don't worry about ages not being entirely accurate. Age was much less important back then - no pension to claim.
The fact Rose is a laundress then and also in 1918 is a link.

I have said before my own gran born in 1891 is aged 80 on her gravestone as that is what her daughters believed. I now know she was 78.

Not sure if you know this but on 1935 eroll Rose is at 6 Washington Street as you said but also listed is a James Price. I assume they are lodging with the Florence Dixon also at the same address
1700753103978.png

Not sure if you know this but on 1935 eroll Rose is at 6 Washington Street as you said but also listed is a James Price. I assume they are lodging with the Florence Dixon also at the same address
View attachment 186333
Thank you, I have that record but hadn't noted the year. I think I have one from 1931 where there's an Alice Price too, I think it's from 1931 but can't be sure.

That was Guildford Street 4 back of 14 Found the entry in 1930.
James Christopher is still there in 1935 when James and Rose are in Washington Street.

Don't think 1931 is online. They weren't there in 1927 as that year is online.
You know what, I think I've cracked it!
I think Rose was living with James Christopher and Alice Price and that James Thomas was their son. Alice died in October 1935. Perhaps Rose then took up with James C? He died in Jan 1937. I can't access the 1921 record for James C Price for some reason.

You know what, I think I've cracked it!
I think Rose was living with James Christopher and Alice Price and that James Thomas was their son. Alice died in October 1935. Perhaps Rose then took up with James C? He died in Jan 1937. I can't access the 1921 record for James C Price for some reason.
If she did it wasn't James C as he was listed on his own in 1935.

Not sure this is the right family as I found a marriage for a James T in 1929 and found him in 1935 on the eroll with his wife. ( He could still be on 1930 eroll depending when the info was collected). Unless there is more thanone James T
If James T is the son, he'd be around 26 years younger than Rose, that's why I thought it might be James C she'd married as he was about he same age as Rose. Looks like you're right though, the family at Guildford St might be a red herring.

Back