• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Robin Hood Hall Green

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Some images of Robin Hood Lane - there are no dates available for any of them. Although the third one looks about 1910 possibly. Is this the entrance to the Robin Hood house ? Viv.

25A725B4-54E0-456A-8D95-A3E76C146A69.jpeg

B69BAD21-D5E7-4CE0-BB34-65E99252DEA8.jpeg

Is this the entrance to a large house ?
503C623B-7F88-4648-B96A-6BBA6E18A235.jpeg

Is this the house belonging to the above entrance ?

42664FC6-FE39-4169-B7E1-6BA3C98A419F.jpeg

I think its the same place, its still standing and is still a pub, a really nice building, not to sure about the pub though.

These houses were built on the corner of Robin Hood Lane and Highfield Road by 2009 / 2010. Highfield House was there from 1850 until it was demolished in 2008.

Snowy scene from late 2010.

I believe the Toby place that Ell posted is the same building. The side in the old photo is the the side with balconies and pediment which is in full sunshine in Ell's photo as far as I can see. A very nice building.

Found this link

Toby Carvery at Hall Green, Birmingham, was formerly Toby Robin Hood Hotel and before that just the Robin Hood. Originally a private residence, the Robin Hood was converted to a public house in the 1920s to cater to visitors to the area who came in increasing numbers as the Robin Hood-vicinity near Hall Green, now easily reachable by tram from central Birmingham, became an attractive destination for single-day outings.[1]
Although 'Robin Hood Hotel' was not the original form of its name, that form is used here to keep the page name distinct from that of Robin Hood (Hall Green), the area whose name inspired that of the public house. While the earlier revisions of the 25" O.S. map listed below include 'Robin Hood' as the name of the neighbourhood, the latest of them, published 1939 and revised in 1937, omits the name of the area but now includes 'Robin Hood Inn' in its place. UK Pub History has information on the publican for 1940 only.[2]

Robin Hood Lane with Primrose Lane on the right ... date 1925.
index.php

Today ... the houses seen in the old pic now look on to a wide dual carriageway but it is still named a Lane ...:)
index.php

images only visible if logged in

The Toby Carvery is the Robin Hood pub.
The China Garden was formerly Hall Green Police Station. When it first became a restaurant it was called "the Blue Lamp".

The Robin Hood Hotel, M&B pub, sorry no date. There have beennchanges to the building when compared with Ell's second (Toby Carvery).more modern photo in post #7. This B&W view is the view of the right side of the building in Ell's photo.

Screenshot_20240321_164113_Chrome.jpg

Back