• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Robert Birbeck - Printer

Jules65

master brummie
I have been researching my Birbeck ancestors and with quite good success.

My gg Granddad was a Robert Birbeck b1827 St. Martins, Worcester.

I have found him on various census, in

1871 he is a printer compositor living at 42 Summer St, Edgbaston
1881 he is a Letter press printer compositor living at 34 Spring Rd, Edgbaston
1891 he is a Letter press printer (employer) living at 63 Hagley Road
1901 he is a Letter press printer (employer) living at 19 Francis Road, Edgbaston.

Can anyone please look in the trade directories for Birmingham and see if they can find him.

I know there is a Birbeck & Sons Printers based in Birmingham who have been trading since 1883. I was wondering if my Robert was connected to this company.

Many thanks.

Jules

Jules
Below is what I found in my directories:

Whites 1873 Birmingham & the Hardware district
Private
Birbeck Robert, printer’s manager, 8 Lee crescent

1876 Kelly’s
Private
Birbeck Robert, 8 Lee crescent

1896 Kelly’s

Private
Birbeck Robert, 24 Lee Bank road

Commercial
Birbeck Robert, printer & engraver, 313 Broad street
(NO BIRBECK & SONS listed)

1912 Kelly’s

No private listing

Birbeck & Sons Limited, printers, 158 Great Charles street.
T N 1 902 Central

Hope thats useful
Mike

Hi, I lived next door to an arthur harold birbeck, born 26th May 1894; served RAF 1st world war. i have his military record and it shows him as a director of birbeck and sons 158 charles street, birmingham.

Is this a relative of yours?

stanislaus

Hi, I lived next door to an arthur harold birbeck, born 26th May 1894; served RAF 1st world war. i have his military record and it shows him as a director of birbeck and sons 158 charles street, birmingham.

Is this a relative of yours?

stanislaus

Hi, Yes Arthur Harold Birbeck was my first cousin 2x removed! I would love to have a copy of his military record. Did he have any family? Would love to hear all about him.

Many thanks

Jules65

this is amazing as i did not expect a reply so soon. I have a census page for his family in 1901. Also his service record in the RAF and his military medal award. I knew him as a next door neighbour in the late 1950's/early 1960s and i used to play cards with him after i was temporarily incapacitated and he was of course retired. He lived with a lady from cardiff i believe. He played a mean game of cribbage - no doubt learned in the RAF.

I have an interest in military matters and he was a lieutenant in the RAF (also listed as a captain).

I will be pleased to let you have copies of the documents i have. DO you by any chance have a photo of him particularly in military dress as we can date it from his uniform type.

regards,
stanislaus

this is amazing as i did not expect a reply so soon. I have a census page for his family in 1901. Also his service record in the RAF and his military medal award. I knew him as a next door neighbour in the late 1950's/early 1960s and i used to play cards with him after i was temporarily incapacitated and he was of course retired. He lived with a lady from cardiff i believe. He played a mean game of cribbage - no doubt learned in the RAF.

I have an interest in military matters and he was a lieutenant in the RAF (also listed as a captain).

I will be pleased to let you have copies of the documents i have. DO you by any chance have a photo of him particularly in military dress as we can date it from his uniform type.

regards,
stanislaus

It is indeed amazing. I have a copy of the 1911 census when he lived with his parents at The Mount, Selly Park Road, Selly Park, Birmingham. Unfortunately I do not have any photographs of him at all. His father and my grandfather were cousins and although I lived next door to my grandfather I only know what I have researched about his family. We never met any of his side of the family.

I have found online a copy of his medal card. You are right about him being a lieutenant and captain in the RAF.

Thank you so much for getting in contact.

Jules65

I see from the 1901 census that arthur had a sister, Minnie, who was born in 1892. did she have any family that you are aware of? I will have to go and consult the 1911 census i guess to find out but you already have a copy so may know.

I may try and trace his companion who went back to wales in the 1960s but thats a long shot i think.

My interest also stems from the fact that my family was given an artifact from the 1st world war in the 1960s and it might have been from your relative. I still have the item so its possible history is quite intriguing.

stanislaus

I used to call on Birbecks in the late 80's/90's selling them paper. Not sure if it was the same company but there was no one there by the name of Birbeck then, so I assume the business ad been sold out of the family.

In the 1865 directory there is a
Birbeck J Hairdresser 54 Lichfield St
In the 1850 directory there is a
Birbeck George Hairdresser 65 Lichfield St
In the 1848 directory there is a
Birbeck Charles boot and shoe maker 62 summer lane
and george was in Lichfield St

I have been researching my Birbeck ancestors and with quite good success.

My gg Granddad was a Robert Birbeck b1827 St. Martins, Worcester.

I have found him on various census, in

1871 he is a printer compositor living at 42 Summer St, Edgbaston
1881 he is a Letter press printer compositor living at 34 Spring Rd, Edgbaston
1891 he is a Letter press printer (employer) living at 63 Hagley Road
1901 he is a Letter press printer (employer) living at 19 Francis Road, Edgbaston.

Can anyone please look in the trade directories for Birmingham and see if they can find him.

I know there is a Birbeck & Sons Printers based in Birmingham who have been trading since 1883. I was wondering if my Robert was connected to this company.

Many thanks.

Jules

Back