• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Road Name Changes

guilbert53

master brummie
While I was walking round the Paradise site over the weekend I saw some council signs stuck on lamp posts giving details of some road name changes in the area.

Could not take a photo of it as it was wrapped round a lamp post so almost impossible to read let alone photograph.

But I have put together a little map below based on my best memory of the changes.

The changes are:

1) The section of Paradise Circus Queensway that runs between the Paradise site and Centenary Square is to be renamed Lyon Queensway. Anyone know where the "Lyon" name comes from?

2) The road junction at the North of the site (near Summer Row) will now ALSO be known as Summer row.

3) The Western end of Paraidise Street will now be extended so it meets Lyon Queensway

4) Two areas NEAR Chamberlain Square will be renamed to become part of Chamberlain Square.

One part is the small section of Congreve Passage that is in front of One Chamberlain Square. The other part runs along the Western edge of the Town Hall.

Below is a VERY rough drawing of the changes. I have searched the council web site for the official announcement but cant find it. Anyone find it?

Birmingham.PNG

Perhaps it's named after the corner house which used to be in Victoria square? Can't think of any other connection although I'm sure there must be.

Someone pointed out on another forum that Birmingham is twinned with the city of Lyon in France.

In Lyon there is a "Rue de Birmingham" so maybe we are doing a similar thing in Birmingham for Lyon.

Pedro, that's what I meant by 'the corner house'. Lyon's tea shops were always on corners hence 'Lyon's Corner House'. Didn't explain myself very well did I!!
Alan, your response sounds more feasible to me.

Lady P

I thought the name Corner House was reserved for the one at the junction of the Strand and Duncannon Street in London. The one on Colmore Row was hardly on the corner and that distinction was claimed by Galloways surely? Though I have to admit I have heard it called The Corner House a few times.

City Colmore Row Early PC.jpg

City Victoria Square - Cilmore Row.jpg

Went to Lyon last year, the city centre is much bigger, divided by several rivers! Think I preferred the smaller towns and villages around Burgundy.

Lady P

I thought the name Corner House was reserved for the one at the junction of the Strand and Duncannon Street in London. The one on Colmore Row was hardly on the corner and that distinction was claimed by Galloways surely? Though I have to admit I have heard it called The Corner House a few times.

View attachment 126290

View attachment 126291
You are correct, the corner houses appellation was reserved for various premises in London, very interesting history on Wikipedia
Bob

Ell,

Did you go down to Vienne, a few miles due south of Lyon? Well worth a visit with interesting geological museum and lots of Roman ruins.

Maurice

Ell,

Did you go down to Vienne, a few miles due south of Lyon? Well worth a visit with interesting geological museum and lots of Roman ruins.

Maurice

Yes we were taken to Vienne last year. The Roman Theatre was a bit hard to see from the road!

This year, late last month went to Tuscany, and had a better view of a Roman Theatre in Volterra (Italy). Just prefer Italy to France, but like travelling around both (but been to Italy more).

Back