• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remembering September 11th 2001

We were on holiday in Turkey, walking along a sea front with restaurants and bars, open to the road. As I walked past one, I saw on the television inside, a shot of one of the towers being hit by a plane and remember thinking it was a disaster movie being shown.
Of course, this clip was repeated over and over again, so I saw it again through the windows of another bar and then, yet again in another a few moments after. I thought "How come they are showing a movie on television but each bar is receiving the transmisson at different times?"

It was some minutes before I noticed the headline strip along the bottom of the picture and realised I was watching a news channel. Within a few minutes most of the bars had brought their television screens out to the front of their premises and switched to Sky News or BBC World so that the British tourists could follow what was happening.

I must say that at first in the hotel we were staying at there was little sympathy for the American situation amongst the Turkish staff, although I think that attitude changed later when they realised the enormity of the loss of life. The Turks at that time had recently been snubbed by America over a previously agreed pact against Kurdish terrorists in Turkey and the Turks thought the Americans had not given their support and now they would find out what it was like to suffer from terrorism in their own land.

Dav did you have a problem getting a flight home. Everything was grounded here for a few days and then a huge pack log, as many of the planes in the sky at the time were landed in Canada for their safety.I don't remember whether planes all around the world were grounded or just N.America. Did that happen in Europe? Mo

Wendy didn't know they built a ship with the scrap from the Trade Centre but what an apt name to call it. NEVER FORGET. Jean.

My daughters bloke was in America on business he had a dreadful time getting home.

Norma I guess we were all shocked to see two huge buildings, Icons... being brought down and not really understanding, or dreading the real truth. Misinformation, and frenzied searching, newsreal repeating over and over again. That sense of dread steadily building in the aftermath, fear of just what would happen next. we are none of us the same since, I know Ive become far less tollerant and trusting. We all knew too that before long more atrocities would occur. Then October brought the bombing of the Teleban in Afghanistan and later on the build up to the Iraq invasion. Sure there has been endless war on this sad world in one place or another but the 9/11 and then the attacks on the UK Underground in London a good while later made it very personal. I wouldn't like to state the rights and wrongs of all this strife and fighting and I dont understand why anyone wants to kill or maim, I just think we are living in a very very sad world. Folk seem to get off on hurting one another be it on a grande scale or at a more localised level..... What is wrong with us?

Oh goodness, I now know why I missed your posts Rod you speak so much sense. What is it with us! Lovely sentiments Norma.

Our youngest son was living in Brooklyn on that fatefull day. He rang to say he was safe & said "a plane had hit one of the Towers at THE WORLD TRADE CENTER & I should turn on the TV" While on the phone & watching the TV News the second plane hit Tower Two.
He & I just could not take in the events that unfolded over the next few minutes,the total distruction & the lives lost that day.
My Wife & I agreed we would one day visit that place every one now knows as GROUND ZERO, to pay our respects to the thousands that died that day.
So in june 2002 we both headed off to do just that, Can I say it was one of the most moving Trips of my life.
(GOD BLESS ALL WHO PERISHED THAT DAY & THE FAMILYS THAT STILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE SAME PAIN EVERY YEAR ON THE DAY 9/11/2001.

(I only have video of that part of our trip so no pics to share)
The Photo is a happier side meeting up with our son & his American family on the Brooklyn Bridge.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Having read this Tread, I have been looking through the items our son emailed us after that day, here are some of the HEADLINES FROM THE NEWS. That day that changed the World.

Back